Help with installing a HD antenna

Kevin Brown

Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I have RV with a Dish 211K and a Tailgater portable antenna. The Tailgater works about 10% of the time and now that I leave the RV at a permanent site then I would like to put up a permanent antenna. I share my Dish service with my home address (zip 62226) and although I'm 90 miles away I can still pick up my local stations. I have been told that I need a 1000.2 HD antenna with a black Dish. Will this dish work with the 3 SW or 3 SE satelights? Does the SW and SE satelights have the same channels? At my home I'm pointing to the SW but most of my neighbors at the RV park are facing the SE. I was thinking if I could not set the antenna for the SW then I could read the elevation, scew and azimuth from one of the neighbor antennas. I plan to mount this on a 2" pipe. If anyone could provide help I would really appreciate. This is new to me.

K. Brown

do you have a dish mounted at home?
if you do use the same settings from that dish for skew for the reflector and elevation.
to find azimuth you will need a signal meter or you can haul a small tv and your receiver out by your dish and then you can find the azimuth by slowly rotating the dish from left to right or vice versa once you find the best signal signal level will be indicated by pitch of tone lock in the bolts on the mast then tweak and peak your elevation. the area I work in is totally western arc so set the signal meter in the receiver to 110 and transponder 13 for sd and 129 transponder 19 for hd. sd signal will come in a lot stronger than hd(50-60) is good for hd and 60-80+ is good for sd, now there is a balancing point between tweaking in hd and sd signal you can make your sd signal really strong but you sacrifice hd signal strength or vice versa because the 129 bird is not parked next to the sd birds, its like 10-15 degrees to the right of the sd birds.

this is for western arc birds I have no experience dealing with eastern arc birds.

dishes pointed sw is western arc and se is eastern arc.

also make sure your mast or pole mount is true plumb.

Last edited:
do you have a dish mounted at home?
if you do use the same settings from that dish for skew for the reflector and elevation.
to find azimuth you will need a signal meter or you can haul a small tv and your receiver out by your dish and then you can find the azimuth by slowly rotating the dish from left to right or vice versa once you find the best signal signal level will be indicated by pitch of tone lock in the bolts on the mast then tweak and peak your elevation. the area I work in is totally western arc so set the signal meter in the receiver to 110 and transponder 13 for sd and 129 transponder 19 for hd. sd signal will come in a lot stronger than hd(50-60) is good for hd and 60-80+ is good for sd, now there is a balancing point between tweaking in hd and sd signal you can make your sd signal really strong but you sacrifice hd signal strength or vice versa because the 129 bird is not parked next to the sd birds, its like 10-15 degrees to the right of the sd birds.

this is for western arc birds I have no experience dealing with eastern arc birds.

dishes pointed sw is western arc and se is eastern arc.

also make sure your mast or pole mount is true plumb.

Thank you for the information. A couple more questions: So SW arc dish is a completely different dish then a SE, not interchangeable? If I go with a SW arc I would be to take the settings off my home dish. However, there is a chance that with a SW arc I might have an issue with trees. If I went with a SE arc can I still get the same local channels that I get at home with SW arc?

Thank you for the information. A couple more questions: So SW arc dish is a completely different dish then a SE, not interchangeable? If I go with a SW arc I would be to take the settings off my home dish. However, there is a chance that with a SW arc I might have an issue with trees. If I went with a SE arc can I still get the same local channels that I get at home with SW arc?
dish is the same but the lnbf is different.

No the local on the Eastern arc and the Western Arc are not duplicates. Some local channels do appear on both arcs and some are HD on one arc and SD on the other.
A 1000.2 dish is the same wether Eastern Arc or Western Arc, but they have different LNBs for Eastern Arc the LNB only looks at 61.5 & 72.7. The Western Arc looks at 110/119 & 129.

Reactions: bigjohnok

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)