Help with linear sats

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hi!

I'm hoping somebody can help. I just got my Staab HH 120 motor up with my 1.20 m 'Glorystar' dish. I have a CS 6000 receiver and a Chieta HD switch on my Invacom LNB. I have an 'orbtal' output from the lnb on Diseqc 1 and 'linear' on Diseqc 3. Orbital is not a problem but I want to access the linear FTA BUT NOTHING GIVES A GOOD ENOUGH SIGNAL. What am I doing wrong.
I'm at 53 degrees north and 132 degrees west. The motor is set to about 53 degrees and I get good quality on orbital sats so I'm pretty sure I've nailed Clark orbit. Why can't I get ANY linear stuff? I'm beginning to be suspicous of my brand new Invacom Polar 031. Do they fail? Although orbital is working.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank uou Lak7, that helped. I went through from 85 degrees to 148 degrees and tried to change each one to universal 10750. I connected to Gal.10R! That's a relief! I thought the LNB was toast. So far that is the only one I can read. Most of the birds wont accept 10750. Maybe I'm just to far North. Anybody else at my latitude reading other linear sats?

Thank uou Lak7, that helped. I went through from 85 degrees to 148 degrees and tried to change each one to universal 10750. I connected to Gal.10R! That's a relief! I thought the LNB was toast. So far that is the only one I can read. Most of the birds wont accept 10750. Maybe I'm just to far North. Anybody else at my latitude reading other linear sats?

10750 is a Standard LNBF frequency. Every STB should be able to use that. I really doubt that you are too far North. Keep trying. You will be successful and you will really enjoy this hobby once you do.

bic
you're not too far north...we have members in Saskatchewan and northern Manitoba and their setups works fine :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying. Yes, my LNB is an Invacom Quad 031. My cable is about 100 feet long and I just ordered an in-line amplifier; maybe that is my problem. I appreciate everyones input.

dont use the amp...they're worthless at 100 feet. I run 160 feet on one setup and it works fine (and thats 12 LNB's running through 2 diseqc switches..its the visionsat in my sig)

The QPH031 is a heavy bugger but should still work fine

Since you can Lock on Circular Sats, goto Nimiq at 91 west and Lock. Then run a direct cable from the "L" port on the LNB to the CS 6000, bypassing any / all switches and motor(remember to turn off the power switch when disconnecting / connecting a diseqc switch) Now power the CS 6000 and setup Galaxy 11, which is also at 91 west, 10750 Standard. I have the same exact LNB, great unit.
Also, the setup has to be arranged:
................................................................................1 ------------"C" LNB
Sat Box ----------------Motor-------------------Diseqc
................................................................................3 ------------"L" LNB

Last edited:
Hi Lak7;

Okay did that. It's wired direct to an 'L' output zeroed on Nimiq, bypassing the switch. I'm showing about 85% signal with a quality about 7% BUT it does flash WAY higher for a split second. Not showing in the green though. It doesn't show anything if I change the frequiency to 10750. It only shows a signal with an LNB of 'OCS' and a frequency of 5150 whatever that is. Coolsat does't have a 'Standard' LNB listed, only Single, Universal, OCS, & OCS-DP, plus some multiples.
Suggestions? I hope.

Choose "single" for lnbf, 5150 is for c-band. You may have to rotate the whole dish assemblly on the pole to get a signal, you might see Nimiq with a lot of signal but maybe you aren't dead on. If its off just a little you won't get galaxy 11. You also need to be looking at an active transponder or you won't see a signal. 12060V SR 26700 is always on.

Okay, my Coolsat's on Gal. 11 (centered on Nimiq 91deg.) with LNB set at Single & freq. at 10750 direct to a 'L' port on my LNB, bypassing switches.
I get zero signal so I guess I have to rotate on the pole. Right? Can somebody tell me how to look for "an active transponder"?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the menus look like in the Coolsat 6000, I have the 5000. To look for an active transponder in the 5000, I would go to installation menu, then motorized setup, on that menu I can see the frequencies already programmed in. If I scorll through them I will find the frequency I gave you above, I would then move the dish on the pole a small bit in either direction and see if the quality bar jumps. If you are still looped through the motor you could move the motor east and west first to see if that helps. You could also lift gently up and push gently down on the dish to see if that helps.

Hello Starman345

I did a PID scan (first time) and got a GOOD SIGNAL on 12060(V) so I'm pointed correctly??? A signal still doesn't show up under 'Dish' or 'Motorized Setting'. I can't understand how I can connect a channel and yet not "see" it.

Hello Starman345

A blind scan works! I 'm learning a lot today. I assumed a good quailty bar had to be present for a scan. Thanks for your help...and Lak7 and Iceberg as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)