Help with locals in HD in Texas

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I have an HD Dish dp plus with triple transponder (western arc). I called Dish to ask when the Tyler, Tx. area would finally get locals in HD. I was told they are available now. They asked why I was not getting them and I asked them the same question. I went through every check they told me to do and after an hour of trouble shooting the rep said they would have to send out a tech to check my system - and this will take place Tuesday. I went to another forum specifically for Tyler tv and was told by a poster there that I need an eastern arc transponder to get Tyler, Tx HD locals as my western arc will only pick up locals in standard definition. My question is why was I given a western arc transponder when my locals in HD are on eastern arc? My county is in the Shreveport, LA DMA and is one county out of the Dallas DMA. Maybe that makes a difference but I don't know.

I am paying for locals and want them in HD since they are available and I only live 30 miles from Tyler. I get HD with my OTA antenna but that is hit or miss with some stations coming in sometimes and sometimes not. Does anyone know if the tech can replace my transponder with the one for eastern arc, or is there some prohibition in doing this? Will making that switch screw up any of my other programming? I have a vip722K and a 612 receiver.

The tech will replace your dish/LNBF. The transponder is on the satellite itself, your spotbeam comes from that specific transponder and satellite. But when the tech comes out, yes, he will get you setup correctly.

Great! Thanks for that information. I was concerned that there might be some reason why they had to give me the kind of transponder they did originally. It sure does not make sense to charge me for locals and then not give them to me in HD when in fact they are available.

It's a migration. The original tech may have been correct in indtalling WA at the time. But dish is migrating specific areas to EA over time, and yours, from the sounds of it, is up for it's time. They'll get you squared away.

It's a migration. The original tech may have been correct in indtalling WA at the time. But dish is migrating specific areas to EA over time, and yours, from the sounds of it, is up for it's time. They'll get you squared away.
Provided you have a line of sight to the East, they will have to install a new dish.

Oh, oh. The dish has to point East? That could be a huge problem. I have it attached to my antenna tower and there are no trees to the west where it points now. Going the other way it is butt up right against a bunch of trees. I will have to see what the tech says we have to do about that but I don't think there is much I can do.

Osu got it. It will draw a line from your house, to where your sats are. On a satellite picture even. Great site.

I checked my location with the link provided by OSU and it works. It most certainly is more South and may not present a problem to me at all as far as line of sight. However, a new problem has surfaced from a poster at the Tyler, Tx tv forum. He said that it may be a legal problem in getting Tyler locals in HD because I am in the Shreveport, LA. DMA, although I am 30 miles from Tyler and over 100 miles from Shreveport. I don't understand that at all but he said it is common and to combat that some people show one location as a the physical location (made up) and another as the billing location. Again, I don't understand that at all. All I know is that I pay for Tyler locals and they are the only locals I get from Dish (I get none from Shreveport nor do I want them). And Dish has told me that I am entitled to receive those locals in HD. So that is what I will tell the tech when he comes out Tuesday and to set me up with whatever equipment I need to get those locals in HD. Am I right or wrong on this?

Why does he say you are in the Shreveport DMA? You very well may not be. You can easily check with your zip code here.

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/channels/local/

Yes, when I put in my zip code it shows that I should be getting the Tyler stations as my locals, which I do. However, when I go to this map of DMAs ( http://media.seventhpoint.com/images/pdfs/2012-2013 Large DMA Map.pdf) it shows my county of Wood County Texas as being in the Shreveport DMA. I am right on the border of the blue counties which represent the DMA for the Dallas area. However, I have no idea what that has to do with anything because I am 30 miles from Tyler and over 100 miles from Shreveport. I do get the correct Tyler stations from Dish but it looks like I have to change dishes and get an eastern arc transponder in order to receive them in HD. I hope that is what the tech guy will do when he comes out on Tuesday.

Your Tyler HD locals are on 61.5. The SD channels are on 110. 110 is WA and 61.5 is EA. You will be just fine. Just let the tech change the dish and all will be well.... If your zip code says you get Tyler locals, that's what you will get....

Reactions: ChadT41
Those DMA maps change all the time.
Yes, when I put in my zip code it shows that I should be getting the Tyler stations as my locals, which I do. However, when I go to this map of DMAs ( http://media.seventhpoint.com/images/pdfs/2012-2013 Large DMA Map.pdf) it shows my county of Wood County Texas as being in the Shreveport DMA. I am right on the border of the blue counties which represent the DMA for the Dallas area. However, I have no idea what that has to do with anything because I am 30 miles from Tyler and over 100 miles from Shreveport. I do get the correct Tyler stations from Dish but it looks like I have to change dishes and get an eastern arc transponder in order to receive them in HD. I hope that is what the tech guy will do when he comes out on Tuesday.

Might want to look again, that map shows Wood County to be in the Tyler-Longview DMA, not Shreveport. You just need an Eastern Arc Dish/LNB and you will be good to go

Anyone ever start thinking family guy "f*#% the FCC" song when talking about locals and what people can/should/do get?

Those DMA maps change all the time.

Might want to look again, that map shows Wood County to be in the Tyler-Longview DMA, not Shreveport. You just need an Eastern Arc Dish/LNB and you will be good to go

I could not see the map that clearly but it looked like Shreveport to me. Anyway, yes, I should be in the Tyler DMA and the Eastern arc Dish/LNB should do the job for me. As long as they can get LOS okay I should be fine. I'll post back after the tech guy does his thing tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts