help with networking

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xrayguy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Texas
I'm trying to connect my HR22 to the internet so I can use DOD. Here's the problem: I dont have a phone/ethernet jack in the room with my HR22. For cost reasons, I would like to find a way to do it using what I already have on hand if possible. I have a wireless dsl router(2wire 2701H-B), a windows vista laptop connected wirelessly via the router, and an xbox 360 also connected wirelessly. Is there a way to hook up my HR22 through the laptop's wireless connection or through the xbox 360's? PLEASE HELP!!!

Easy enough, but you will need to answer a few questions:

1. The phone/ethernet jack is it one jack or two (one for phone, one for ethernet?)

2. Where does it run to? Is it run to a panel somewhere?

3. Are all the rooms wired with phone/ethernet?

4. Does the room that has the router in it have a phone/ethernet jack?

5. Your two-wire router, how many ethernet ports are on it? Are you using any of them now?

My home has 3 phone jacks, no ethernet jacks. 2wire is the brand of my AT&T dsl router. It has 4 ethernet ports and wireless access also. I'm currently not using any of the ethernet jacks, only the wireless for my Wii, iPhones, xbox 360, and laptop. The router is currently in my bedroom, and my HR22 is in the living room. These rooms are adjacent, but the equipment is on opposite walls, not shared walls. So that is why i was wondering if there was a way to have my HR22 piggyback off of my laptop's connection, something like this: phone jack -> dsl router -> wireless to laptop -> ethernet cable to HR22. I dont know if the laptop can act as a network bridge or something, or even how to go about doing it.

My home has 3 phone jacks, no ethernet jacks. 2wire is the brand of my AT&T dsl router. It has 4 ethernet ports and wireless access also. I'm currently not using any of the ethernet jacks, only the wireless for my Wii, iPhones, xbox 360, and laptop. The router is currently in my bedroom, and my HR22 is in the living room. These rooms are adjacent, but the equipment is on opposite walls, not shared walls. So that is why i was wondering if there was a way to have my HR22 piggyback off of my laptop's connection, something like this: phone jack -> dsl router -> wireless to laptop -> ethernet cable to HR22. I dont know if the laptop can act as a network bridge or something, or even how to go about doing it.

Oh, that is much easier than what I thought you were trying to to....Yes you can do that. You will need to set up internet connection sharing in the control panel/network. You may also need a crossover cable vs. a standard ethernet cable. You may not, it depends on the network card in your laptop.

If you are using XP, here is link on how to do it:

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)