Help with old KTI 10' dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi guys, I recently took down an old KTI 10' dish and have a couple questions for the group. I probably should have checked this before I took it down, but the dish mount won't rotate about the pole. It's completely frozen in place. I'm referring to the center ring that hold the petals being stuck. Should I be able to move that by hand? Maybe a little WD40 will help.

Do you have any suggestions for fitting mesh pieces back into their slots. I have a few loose mesh pieces and one mesh piece that's cut, with a small hole. I can post pictures if that will help.

I appreciate any pointers,
Alan Rovner, K7AR
Vancouver, Wash.

Use PB Blaster instead of WD 40.I'm not sure exactly where it is frozen.More details please?

For the loose mesh: Remove the clips that hold them in and save for re-use.Slide mesh toward the outside of the dish,it will come out of the slots.Lay mesh on something flat.Gently roll them with something like a rolling pin or pipe.Insert them back into the slots by starting them at the wide end and carefully pushing them towards the center of the dish.It takes patience on a KTI....four hands are better than two.Replace the clips.A dab of silicone every so often helps hold the mesh in the slots. Any smaller tears can be sewn up with a small gauge metal wire without hurting reception.

If PB Blaster does not work, BTW if you are WD-40 fan they have a formula now that is just like PB Blaster. I think they sell like 4 different "flavors" now.
.....anyway if that does not work, you may have to heat it up carefully with a torch.

Are you talking about these bolts that pivot on the dish?
uploadfromtaptalk1456624268151.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456624291225.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Let me see if I can describe the issue better. There's the collar that fits over the mounting pole. Then the large center frame pivots around the collar. That's what stuck. I should have checked that before taking the dish home. Does that help?

Alan

My Unimesh was completely seized when I got it last September. It was so bad that I had a hard time figuring out which were supposed to be the moving parts. I found a bunch of recommendations for making penetrating oil with 1/2 ATF transmission fluid and 1/2 acetone. It works amazing. Things that I thought would take days to free up took just an hour or 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts