Help With Ota Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

johnric79

Original poster
May 29, 2004
Hi:

I need some serious help. I just got a 2 room install yesterday. Problem is that I cannot get any signal from the local stations. Not one. They come in fine through regular TV, but nothing from the satellite. I have an outdoor antenna with a Winegard amp and rotor way up high. All the connections seem to be in order. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John Gordon

Go to www.antennaweb.org and select digital only. See which locals are alive in your area and how far they are from your location. Where you installed with the original Stealth Antenna or do you have another one? Also post the channels that are appearing in your PG (locals only).

Not getting any local channels

The stations listed in the PG are as follows:

3-1 WRBLD1
9-1 WTVMD1
38-1 WLTZD1
54-1 WXTXD1
66-1 WSWSD1

But, when I go to antennaweb, it shows that these aren't digital. I am so confused. The installation tech was no help. He seemed just as lost as I am. I don't think I have a diplexer. My antenna lead goes into a splitter, then one lead goes to the satellite receiver and one to the back of my TV.

Ok. Check the back of your receiver... This is how it looks without connection...
DSR-550back.jpg

This is how it looks with connections. Make sure the antenna coax is connected to OTA module. Is this the case?

connections.jpg

This is the diplexer. But you said that you don't have one.... Let me know...

dipl_installed.jpg

Double check the connection at the back of the V* STB. The antenna should be connected right next to the Sat co-ax connection if the diplexer was not used.

Edit. Seans great pictures explain it perfectly.

No OTA Channels

I appreciate all of you guys' fast responses.

I checked the back of my receiver and there is not a diplexer. The connections are intact as far as I can tell. I moved the rotor to where it will pick up a channel on analog clear as a bell. Still nothing from the satellite side. ???

Ok, so you have two lines coming from your house. One is for the satellite connected the satellite input in the back of receiver and the other line connected to the OTA module in the back of the receiver. John send me your full address to see the distance for your OTA digital channels through www.antennaweb.org or can you copy and past them here.

OTA channels on antennaweb

Please forgive me if I am a total idiot and do not grasp this concept completely. OK, checked with antennaweb, and this are the only two channels that filtered out to be digital. I live only 30 mi. away from Macon, but these channels are not on my PG.

* violet - uhf WGXA-DT 16 FOX MACON GA 07-04 68° 35.7 16
* violet - vhf WMAZ-DT 4.1 CBS Macon GA 68° 35.9 4

John,

I got the following from TitanTv.com

These digital stations are not alive yet in your area It looks like they will be going live in July/August:

FOX 16 WGXA-DT Jul 1 2004
IND 51 WSST-DT Under Review
PBS 23 WJSP-DT Aug 1 2004
PBS 7 WDCO-DT Aug 1 2004
PBS 8 WACS-DT Aug 1 2004
UPN 50 WGNM-DT Awaiting FCC Permit

These digital stations are LIVE in your area:

NBC 40 WMGT-DT MACON GA Yes
ABC 32 WPGA-DT PERRY GA Yes
CBS 4 WMAZ-DT MACON GA Yes

These are mapped to your stb but they are not digital stations but analog stations according to www.antennaweb.org:

3-1 WRBLD1
9-1 WTVMD1
38-1 WLTZD1
54-1 WXTXD1
66-1 WSWSD1

Conclusion: Your mapping is incorrect for the three live stations. Are you sure they are not in your PG? I emailed you the map for the direction of the three live digital stations. I am going to ask that your mapping be fixed and mapped to the correct stations.

John,

one more piece of information. I looked at th zap2it through Voom to see if your mapping was done correctly. It looks like those three live stations have been mapped. Check this link you may have to input your zipcode:

http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/grid.asp?partner_id=cabdbs

Again, are you sure they are not in the PG? If they are not, call customer service and ask them to send a hit to the stb because you are missing OTA channels. How long since you were installed?

Ota

It was installed yesterday afternoon. The tech left and said everything would be up and running after an hour or so. The picture was really crappy on the satellite stations before he left. I did a little checking and found out that he left with a signal strength of only 21-25. After re-aiming the dish myself, the dish peaked out at 80. But back to the OTAs, I just checked again and what channels I posted earlier are what still show in the PG. These are all channels in the Columbus, GA market, but I am closer to Macon, GA. Do I still call customer support or is there some kind of reboot that I can do myself?

Thanks.

John,

call them and ask them to hit the box. If the channels do not show up in an hour after csr sends a signal hit, it means that I will need to send it to VOOM so that they can fix it. It is in their not on your end. They will probably not get the request until next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)