Help with pricing for joey4k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jensgt

Original poster
May 9, 2020
Gambrills, MD
I am moving and upgrading my ancient equipment with the hopper and joeys. When I set up my appt I was told the Joey 3.0 did 4K. Well since then I’ve found that to be untrue, and figured my installer might have some on his truck and I can switch when he arrives.

Well he told me he only has one but the 3.0 will do 4K with a special hdmi cable like the one my hopper “requires” for $18. Ugh.

so I called customer service while
He’s installing the dish on my roof. They tell me I can’t change my work order so I tell them I was lied to and they need to fix it. So he puts me on hold then comes back and tells me joey 4K are $50 each. I said they are $7 a month as per your website so he says ok and quoted me my per month price and I said I’d call back to confirm everything since my installer needed to speak with me. He’s there during this last part of the convo.

then he calls to amend his work order, comes back in and says his manager said there is an upfront charge for Joey 4K but he doesn’t know how much, and then questioned my need for so many 4K joeys.

I have an oled for my living room and a “sports cave” in my basement with 3 4K televisions. Is that super weird? They want me to think so.

so I’m exasperated and need to call dish again. Can someone please give me the honest truth about these Joey 4K? Thanks so much!

Thanks all. I’m so frustrated because I’ll have to have another tech come out but I think I may end up going with 2 Joey 4K and 2 Joey 3.0 for now.

Thanks all. I’m so frustrated because I’ll have to have another tech come out but I think I may end up going with 2 Joey 4K and 2 Joey 3.0 for now.

Keep in mind that there is very very little 4K content available on Dish. Also the 4K Joey will not do HDR while the Hopper3 will do 4K HDR.

Also you could consider using Dish Anywhere on an Amazon Firestick for one of your TV’s. It requires an internet connection for the initial logon but it then uses your home network for streaming from your Hopper3. It would save you $7 per month. I use a Firestick for my basement TV and a Joey3 for my bedroom TV. I also have 2 Hopper3 receivers for my Family Room and Living Room TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have had a J4k almost since they were new...
J4ks are not hdr and apparently the chipset does not allow software upgrade to hdr.
So, J4ks are pretty much useless for very, very minimal non-hdr-4k content which occasionally appears on dish.

Go with the J3s.

When/If dish gets serious about 4k,
Dish will have new joeys with hdr-4k chipset.
I would pass on they J4k.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

I am moving and upgrading my ancient equipment with the hopper and joeys. When I set up my appt I was told the Joey 3.0 did 4K. Well since then I’ve found that to be untrue, and figured my installer might have some on his truck and I can switch when he arrives.

Well he told me he only has one but the 3.0 will do 4K with a special hdmi cable like the one my hopper “requires” for $18. Ugh.

so I called customer service while
He’s installing the dish on my roof. They tell me I can’t change my work order so I tell them I was lied to and they need to fix it. So he puts me on hold then comes back and tells me joey 4K are $50 each. I said they are $7 a month as per your website so he says ok and quoted me my per month price and I said I’d call back to confirm everything since my installer needed to speak with me. He’s there during this last part of the convo.

then he calls to amend his work order, comes back in and says his manager said there is an upfront charge for Joey 4K but he doesn’t know how much, and then questioned my need for so many 4K joeys.

I have an oled for my living room and a “sports cave” in my basement with 3 4K televisions. Is that super weird? They want me to think so.

so I’m exasperated and need to call dish again. Can someone please give me the honest truth about these Joey 4K? Thanks so much!
You're dealing with an idiot that's lying to you to sell and HDMI cable. Joey 3's do NOT have 4K and no cable will change that, but you do have to buy the 4K Joey for $50, no change to your bill

Keep in mind that there is very very little 4K content available on Dish. Also the 4K Joey will not do HDR while the Hopper3 will do 4K HDR.

Also you could consider using Dish Anywhere on an Amazon Firestick for one of your TV’s. It requires an internet connection for the initial logon but it then uses your home network for streaming from your Hopper3. It would save you $7 per month. I use a Firestick for my basement TV and a Joey3 for my bedroom TV. I also have 2 Hopper3 receivers for my Family Room and Living Room TVs.

I was considering doing the 4K Joey, but my issue with that is that Dish hardly has any 4K Channels. Another issue is I do have a 4K Vizio TV that is supposed to be HDR, but when I set up the TV, it says that the 4K TV is not HDR. How can that be changed?
Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: pattykay
You're dealing with an idiot that's lying to you to sell and HDMI cable. Joey 3's do NOT have 4K and no cable will change that, but you do have to buy the 4K Joey for $50, no change to your bill
Is that the actual price to purchase a 4K Joey, or is it just the upfront upgrade charge for the privilege of leasing one? I am asking because someone has a 4K Joey for sale in the Classifieds section on this site at the moment.

Another issue is I do have a 4K Vizio TV that is supposed to be HDR, but when I set up the TV, it says that the 4K TV is not HDR. How can that be changed?

On your Vizio, go to Menu, Input Settings, Whichever HDMI input you have your cable plugged into, turn Full UHD Color on...

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
Is that the actual price to purchase a 4K Joey, or is it just the upfront upgrade charge for the privilege of leasing one? I am asking because someone has a 4K Joey for sale in the Classifieds section on this site at the moment.
i think it's the actual price because even on a new connect if you order a 4K Joey, it's $50.00

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I believe the $50 cost for a 4K Joey is just an additional cost to acquire a leased 4K Joey. Solid Signal is selling the 4K Joey for $149.99.

Thanks. That makes the one listed in the Classifieds section here seem like a really good deal, then. It is only $75, and that includes a spare remote control and free shipping. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
That very well could be and makes sense. Heck, I've only installed 3 since they came out, so they're not that popular
Most likey because the Joey 4K lack what 4K enthusiasts know makes 4K really impressive: HDR. Meanwhile, from what I've seen, UHD-TV's do a good job of upscaling and even HD content looks noticably imporved, impressive really, on a UHD-TV, so a Joey 3 can suffice. That will have to do until a Joey 4 comes along. Of course this is really about UHD-TV; proper 4K is at studios and video facilities. :). I get caught saying "4K" quite often, often able to correct myself. :)

Most likey because the Joey 4K lack what 4K enthusiasts know makes 4K really impressive: HDR. Meanwhile, from what I've seen, UHD-TV's do a good job of upscaling and even HD content looks noticably imporved, impressive really, on a UHD-TV, so a Joey 3 can suffice. That will have to do until a Joey 4 comes along. Of course this is really about UHD-TV; proper 4K is at studios and video facilities. :). I get caught saying "4K" quite often, often able to correct myself. :)
Well, since there is already a model called "Joey 4K," perhaps the new version can be called "Joey 4U." :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts