Help with Satellite Options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

msgph

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hi All,

We are moving in two weeks and are trying to decide whether to keep cable or go with DISH/DirecTV.

Currently with Time Warner, we have 6 tv's on cable, with HBO and Starz. We have one digital box and two regular dvr's. The other three tv's only have the analog channels. We are paying about $100 a month.

We'd like to price a similar setup on DirecTV. I'd like to keep HBO, but not necessarily Starz. Can I get some recommendations from the forum regulars here on the best setup and best price/vendor to go with?

Thanks in advance to everyone for the help.

Michael

Well, Directv prices would go something like this

$44.99 Total Choice Package (Base programming package)
$24.95 Additional Box Fees ($4.99 x 5)
$05.99 DVR Service
$12.00 First Premium (HBO)
$11.00 Second Premium (Starz)

= $98.93

You would be able to get a rebate on the first DVR to make it free, but you'd have to pay for the second one, I think $106 up front. Also for that much equipment you'd need a 4x8 multiswitch at around $40 at the install. I think thats all right.

Look in the phone book and call some locla retailrs or dealers. Ask them to come out to your house and explain rthe installation process and all the programming options and cost's. Then go with the one you fill most comfortable with. A namy here would probably tell you, I would'nt just look at the monthly cost, I would seriously consider the installlation.

wobbie said:
Look in the phone book and call some locla retailrs or dealers. Ask them to come out to your house and explain rthe installation process and all the programming options and cost's. Then go with the one you fill most comfortable with. A namy here would probably tell you, I would'nt just look at the monthly cost, I would seriously consider the installlation.

Hello,

What do you mean by seriously consider the installation?

Thanks,

Mike

msgph said:
Hello,

What do you mean by seriously consider the installation?

Thanks,

Mike

Relax,
There are plenty of good installers out there.
If you read enough you will find installation horror stories, But with that said, most of the time you don't hear anything about all the good installs, because they were done as expected.

Make sure you are home when the install will be done and make sure everything is mounted where you want it or acceptable to you, and everything works when they are done, check everything before signing the release.

If you can get your locals withan OTA (outdoor perfered) antenna, this is your best option, better signal that way.

Don't buy D* OTA antenna, from what I have heard, not very reliable, they use to uas e the stupid on that clips on the dish, and found none of the station were in the direction of the dish, so it did not work.

Look for a Winegard or Channel Master, I even have used Radio Shack and had good luck, with a rotor to move to a different direction for another city. Works great.

If outdoor is not an option, look for a Zenith Silver Sensor, small indoor antenna, it's had great write up and many sucsess stories.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Relax,
There are plenty of good installers out there.
If you read enough you will find installation horror stories, But with that said, most of the time you don't hear anything about all the good installs, because they were done as expected.

AMEN - regardless of who you go with.

Make sure you are home when the install will be done and make sure everything is mounted where you want it or acceptable to you, and everything works when they are done, check everything before signing the release.

This can't be stressed enough; make no excuses, be there and watch/participate, stop them if something looks wrong or isn't what you want and ask questions during and after; do not sign off unless you are 110% satisfied.

If you can get your locals withan OTA (outdoor perfered) antenna, this is your best option, better signal that way. Don't buy D* OTA antenna, from what I have heard, not very reliable, they use to uas e the stupid on that clips on the dish, and found none of the station were in the direction of the dish, so it did not work. Look for a Winegard or Channel Master, I even have used Radio Shack and had good luck, with a rotor to move to a different direction for another city. Works great. If outdoor is not an option, look for a Zenith Silver Sensor, small indoor antenna, it's had great write up and many sucsess stories. Jimbo

MSGPH: I also agree with this; DO NOT get the DBS provided OTA antenna unless it is 110% FREE; that way you can test it's results and all the cabling will be in place if you swap it out for something better. What is your zip code and we can all post some expectations and possible antennas.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
AMEN - regardless of who you go with.

This can't be stressed enough; make no excuses, be there and watch/participate, stop them if something looks wrong or isn't what you want and ask questions during and after; do not sign off unless you are 110% satisfied.

MSGPH: I also agree with this; DO NOT get the DBS provided OTA antenna unless it is 110% FREE; that way you can test it's results and all the cabling will be in place if you swap it out for something better. What is your zip code and we can all post some expectations and possible antennas.

Charper you have a pm

msgph said:
I'd like to keep HBO, but not necessarily Starz. l
Unless D* changed their rules again, as long as you sub to one premium, you can switch it online without charge. You could have HBO one week, StarZ another etc. They used to let you add and drop premiums daily, but changed it as it was being abused.

msgph said:
Zip code is 64063 - Thanks, Mike

Man, you got it easy, no more than 16 miles away from any tower, BUT you have one VHF LO signal, so try finding these antennas. If that channel ever moves to UHF, then you can get even cheaper antennas and maybe even the Zenith Silver Sensor (ZHDTV1).

Winegard HD 7210P
Winegard HD7080P
Winegard HD7078P
Winegard PR 7010
Winegard PR 7037
Terrestrial Digital V10
Terrestrial Digital V15
Channel Master CM 3677
Channel Master CM 3018
Channel Master CM 3030

Hi All,

Looks like this what I'm going with. Let me know if anyone knows of a better option:

Your DIRECTV® System

Change Your System
Startup Costs
1 DIRECTV Plus® DVR
$99.00
Instant Online Rebate -$99.00
4 Standard DIRECTV® Receiver
$0.00
1 Additional Standard Receiver
$49.00
1 Handling and Delivery Fee
$0.00
1 Standard Professional Installation
$0.00
Total Startup Costs: $49.00
Your First Month's Bill
TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS
$49.99
One Month Free -$49.99
HBO®
$12.00
DIRECTV DVR Service
$5.99
5 Lease Fee
$24.95
First Month's Total: $42.94

This is off of DirecTV's web site. If anyone has additional suggestions, please let me know!!!

Thanks,

Michael

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts