Help with Satellite Setup with Older Slimline 3LNB to HR24-Neighbor missing his football!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
A few months ago, helped a vacationing neighbor connect his HR24 to his older Slimeline dish (which has 3LNB's) and it worked great while he he was here, and he has now returned and we can't remember which satellite we slected for the receiver to work.
Here's the set up....Older Slimline dish with a 3 LNB eye, down to a cable that we connected into the Sat In on the HR 24...think we used a B Band converter inline.
What I cannot remember is which satellite (1-18?) and Switch to select when doing the Satellite Setup routine...I beleive it was the Multi Switch and left Tuner on 1?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...he's missing his football!

A few months ago, helped a vacationing neighbor connect his HR24 to his older Slimeline dish (which has 3LNB's) and it worked great while he he was here, and he has now returned and we can't remember which satellite we slected for the receiver to work.
Here's the set up....Older Slimline dish with a 3 LNB eye, down to a cable that we connected into the Sat In on the HR 24...think we used a B Band converter inline.
What I cannot remember is which satellite (1-18?) and Switch to select when doing the Satellite Setup routine...I beleive it was the Multi Switch and left Tuner on 1?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...he's missing his football!

As you go through set up in MENU you may have selected a Phase III dish (there is a picture) instead of selecting 3LNB Slimline.

Try with & without the B Band converter...can't remember myself. Check either ch 100 or the signal meter for the 101 sat for signal.

Joe

Don't remember ever having seen a "Phase III" dish option?
But also got to thinking....should the receiver auto sense the dish it's connected to, so I shouldn't have to make a selection?
Can't beleive I'm having such a hard time remembering a simple setup....

CORRECTION....

I keep asking which satelitte to select, when I should have said, which dish should I select for the setup in my scenario....sorry.

Don't remember ever having seen a "Phase III" dish option?
But also got to thinking....should the receiver auto sense the dish it's connected to, so I shouldn't have to make a selection?
Can't beleive I'm having such a hard time remembering a simple setup....

That is the thing..... there are several pictures of dishes with three horns. Techs who should have known better picked the wrong picture.The service call required selecting 3LNB Slimline or SWIM etc.

The other thing to check is to see if the dish has been moved and needs tuning. All eq will work on ch 100.

Report how it goes.

Joe

OK...I,m am very confused and still can't get this working.
So let me start over, because I don,t think I originally stated the problem correctly.
We have an HR24 that is normally seeing a SWM (#18 on the Dish Type menu in setup).
We brought it down to vacation home that has an older model dish that says Slimline on it, and has 3 lnb's, with 3 or 4 cables coming into the house.
When we connect the HR24, get error 775, so I go into Sat setup and select Single Tuner, but although I've seen directions say then select MultiSwitch, it will not let me as I am forced to go to Dish Type and change it first, ( have tired all sorts of dish types), and then i'm allowed to select MultiSwitch.
When I hit Continue, get Verifying Installation, and it fails everytime saying Satellite signal not detected.
Have tried it with and without B Band converters.
Have also tried using 2 B band converters, one on each tuner input on the back.
I can set it up for Dish Type 4, Slimline 5, MultiSwitch and go to Signal Strength and Sat 101 where I get numbers from 95-100 except for one which means it,s seeing a satellite.
I am totally baffles, and if anyone can help, we would sure appreciate it. THANK YOU!

Unfortunately we can,t get a second cable from the dish to the HR24.
However as I mentioned in my first post, we did have this working when he was last down here 6 months ago. So I just can't figure out what has changed.
in fact right now, we have an old Directv Hughes hooked up to that one line and it is running fine.

You have a SL5 non SWM, try connecting 2 cables (making sure they both come from the dish)input dual tuner SL5/multi switch and see what happens.

Fergie,
You hit it. That #18 means old round dish.............with the 18 & 21 v switch. The SWiM thing is not part of the mix, You hit it. Two cables from the LNB (or more) toamultiswitch should get the game going. Even with one cable...that single should have given signal toone receiver??

More will be revealed,

Joe

Can you help me understand what you mean by "That #18 means old round dish....with the 18 & 21 V switch? The SWim thing is not part of the mix."?
And as to "More will be revealed...".... you may be right as I just found something else.
Remember what I said about having this working a few months ago, but cannot figure out what is different now?
I just found a small Directv power adapter in the back of the cabinet. Is it possible this was hooked into anything that in turn might have been hooked to the HR24 that would provide the answer?
I know I am loosing my mind with age, but I'm not crazy saying I had this working with only 1 cable from the dish a few months ago, but I am now questioning if there was something else in the mix since I just saw that adapter, whose model number said it as the same as one used for an H25. Tanks again for your patience.....and help.

Came across a picture of the dish ...if that is of any help..

.. DSC_9431_e.jpg

That's a non swm type Slimline. Is that what the dish looks like that you are trying to connect to?

Yes, this is the acual dish and I realize it's a non SWM.

My earlier posts detail all the info as to why I'm so confused that althought I had it running a few months ago....now I cannot. Thanks for the interest

Yes, this is the acual dish and I realize it's a non SWM.

My earlier posts detail all the info as to why I'm so confused that althought I had it running a few months ago....now I cannot. Thanks for the interest

That pic clarifies much.

Things to check = IF you removed the LNB some or all of the cables may be disconnected /unscrewed / pulled out. I don't see any service loop so this is possible....no slack.
The LNB may not be seated properly.It doesn't need to be screwed in but mus be fitted into its slot to work.
The dish itself may have been moves out of alignment.

Each of those cables should run to a ground block and then to a receiver. Any one of them should run a receiver and have a signal on ch 100 or a reading in the 90s on the 101 signal meter in MENU & SETUP.

Not sure what that thing you found is....unless there is a multi switch somewhere that requires a PI (power inserter) or transformer.

What is the complete list of your equipment? Is there a multiswitch (big splitter with 4 ins & 8 outs)?

Joe

Nothing has been changed on dish/lnb's since it was last working, and there haven't been any major storms/issues that would give rise as to an alignment problem.

As mentioned, when set to Dish Type 4 Slimline 5, and Sat 101, all readings, except one, are in high 90’s.

Equipment list is basic.....Dish, RG6 cable straight from dish to HR24.

As to the little power adapter....I'm wondering if we have misplaced some type of device that it powered that might have had a connection to the HR 24, and we are forgetting about it since it's been 6 months since we last had it working.

Is there a type of a device ( perhaps requiring power from this adapter) that could be put into this described setup that would enable the HR24 to properly connect to the dish we have? Just a thought.....

No, the device I found in the back of the cabinet is an EPS10R1, which is a power supply for an H25 ?...I think.
Was just wondering if it powered anything else that may be missing that might have been in the loop when we last had this working.
Here's another question....
In an effort to find a solution, I took my HR24 which I have set up and working with a Swm system, and connected to his dish. Got the same exact messages, and screen menus looked the same as with is HR24.
the reason I bring this up,is because when my HR 24 is connected to my dish, some of the screen menus look different....
Does the receiver offer slightly different looks based on the dish to which it's attached?
For example, on my HR 24 connected to the Swm system, when I go I to settings, I get a list of options on the left side of screen including Reset near the bottom of the list, and when clicked, I get 3 options to Reset.
When I connect this very same HR24 to my fiends dish, I do not get these options, nor does his HR 24 get them when connected to,his dish.
I was thinking of trying to reset his entire system if I could get those options, but they are unavailable on his setup.
perhaps I could bring his HR 24 over here and see if when connected to my dish, I can totally reset his Hr24?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)