Help With Self Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcljr166

Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I have Dish Network already,ad the initial set-up was done by an installer. I want to add a fifth receiver. It looks like he ran two coax lines from the dish (I'm assuming 110 and 119) to two DPD2 splitters. I purcahsed a DP44 switch that I want to add so I may run the 5th rceiver from that.

Do I run the initilal two coax lines from the dish to the DP44 switch and then two lines from the DP44 switch to the two DPD2 splitters to the existing receivers? This would then allow for two more lines to be run from the DP44 switch for a 5th and 6th receiver down the road. Am I close to being right?

I guess you could currently have:
- Dish 500 with DishPro Twin pointed to 119 & 110
- 2 Cables from DP Twin, to 2 DP Compatible Splitters (DP2D ?)
- 4 cables from the 2 DP Splitters, one to each single tuner receiver
- 4 single tuner receivers

Does the above sound like what you have?
I'm having trouble seeing how two cables can effectively feed 4 receivers!

Provide more info, and you'll get a correct answer.

1. What are the current receivers you now have?
2. What receivers are you planning on getting immediately, and in the future?
3. Is there a name or something on the dish, or maybe how many years ago was it installed?
4. Is DP in large black letters on the back of the LNBF (the part of the dish the wires connect to)?
5. What programming do you have now, and intend on getting in the future?
6. How about a Zip Code for your area.

Otherwise....
You can run two cables from a DP Twin LNBF into a DPP44 Switch. Then you can feed up to 4 Legacy/DishPro/DishPro Plus receivers each with a single cable. You would eliminate using the "DPD2 Splitters" or whatever they are.
Note: The DP Plus receivers (dual tuners) would need a DP Separator to use a single cable, or you will have to use 2 cables/ports to the DPP44.

Then you can trunk a second switch, either a DP34 or DPP44, and connect it to the DPP44 for upto an additional 4 receivers (or maybe even 8 more tuners).

NOTES:
- Trunking -- Putting DP34 and/or DPP44 Switches side by side using the additional F connectors.
- Cascading -- Two switches that are inline with each other between the LNBF and the receiver.
- Basically, you can not cascade the DPP44; except for - you can feed a receiver with a DP21 that is feed from a DP Single/Dual LNBF and also from one of the DPP44's receiver port to receive 5 satellite orbital locations.

Last edited:
I have the DishPro 1000. Inside I have two dual tuner DVR receivers and two dual tuner regular receivers. Outside I have two lines that run from the dish to the two splitters. From the splitters are running two lines each (total of four lines). I purchase a ViP 622 dual HD receiver as my 5th.

How many physical receiver boxes do you have? I would guess only 2 which are dual tuner. If that is the case you can use the DPP44 switch to wire a 5th TV location. If you already have 4 physical receiver boxes, which seems unlikely from how you describe it, then you will have to have 2 switches to run a fifth box. A DPP44 only supports 4 receivers.

I have the DishPro 1000. Inside I have two dual tuner DVR receivers and two dual tuner regular receivers. Outside I have two lines that run from the dish to the two splitters. From the splitters are running two lines each (total of four lines). I purchase a ViP 622 dual HD receiver as my 5th.
The setup you are describing is not a standard setup. Either there's more to it than what you actually see, or all of the equipment does not work at the same time, or maybe you have some non-standard/off-brand equipment.

It sounds like the dish antenna is the "Dish 1000" model which normally has 2 LNBF's on it; (1) a DishPro Plus Twin LNBF (DPP Twin), and (2) a DishPro Dual LNBF (DP Dual).
The DPP Twin receives sat locations 119 and 110, for most programming and most locals.
The DP Dual receives sat location 129 for High Definition programming and some locals.
The DP Dual connects to the DPP Twin with a short run of RG-6.

From the other two connectors on the DPP Twin, there would be 2 runs of RG-6 cable:
- (1) One run of RG-6 cable would go to a DP Separator to feed Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 of the First DishPro Plus dual tuner receiver;
- (2) One run of RG-6 cable would go to a DP Separator to feed Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 of the Second DishPro Plus dual tuner receiver.
- There are no other connections left.:confused:

The above should work quite well, and is similar to the diagram on Page 3, lower right - http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...o_Plus_Installation_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf

However, you are claiming that the initial install also included a splitter on each of those 2 main runs to feed two more DishPro Plus receivers (dual tuners), so that in effect... You have 1 DishPro Plus Twin feeding 8 tuners (4 receivers x 2 tuners each).

Although I believe if someone was to configure/install such a wiring scheme, as you claim, each tuner would not be able to watch a different satellite location without affecting at least one other tuner. That is, in the case of the first RG-6 run feeding the first splitter which feeds 2 dual receivers, Tuner 1 on both Receiver 1 and Receiver 2 would always have to watch the same satellite.
I'm not saying that will work, but just that that would be the best case scenario.

Recommendation:

If you are determined to have 5 dual tuner receivers connected to a Dish 1000, then, you should consult Page 4, top 2 diagrams http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo..._Plus_Installation_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf:
- (1) Disconnect the DP Dual from the DPP Twin, and connect it to Port 3 on the DPP44.
- (2) Disconnect the 2 splitters from the DPP Twin, and connect the DPP Twin to Port 1 and Port 2 on the DPP44.
- (3) Run a single RG-6 cable from each receiver location to the DPP44 switch.
- (4) Purchase another DPP44 for the 5th and future 6th receivers.
- (5) Each receiver will need a DP Separator, or you will have to run 2 cables to each receiver.
- (6) This scheme will also allow you to connect a 4th satellite location if desired.

Each dual tuner receiver represents TWO tuners..You stated you have TWO DUAL tuner dvr's I assume thay are 522's or 625's (that's a total of 4 tuners) plus TWO conventional dual tuner receivers 322's(that's a total of tuners) for a grand total of EIGHT TUNERS....If you purchase one, the 622 is another TWO tuner receiver...That would be a total of 10 tuners in your home...
Is that accurate?

Sorry fellas, must have been the hangover. You are correct, I have a total of two receivers in the house both being dual tuners to run 4 tvs.

Ok, that should be easy enough then.
Take one wire from each output on the Dish1000 into the DPP44 switch. Then hook one wire going to each of the receivers. I'm assuming that there is a DPP Seperator behind each reciever?

In addition to what birddoggy said....

Your 622 should had also included a "DP Separator" (not a splitter) so that a single cable can feed the two tuners on the 622.

The DPP-44 has a power inserter, which goes on the cable that goes to the DPP-44 Receiver Port 1. There should be no other gadgets between the Power Inserter and the DPP-44, such as diplexers, DP Adapators, etc...

And you will still have room for a 4th receiver, either a single tuner or a dual tuner!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)