Help with Slim Line 5 LNB set-up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lamarw

Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
I'm a new-comer and am looking for help with a new 5 LNB dish set-up for Directtv. I have it on the house and it is plum, I took down a 3 LNB that I had installed sucessfully, and now I have the cables and new LNB installed with satellite and am unable with a course beginning to get any signal. I set the azmuth, tilt and evelation as directed. Checked the mast for plum, and have tryed an hd20 and a regular box for signal. I'm setting the receveiver for the 110a satellite and looking at add #'s. Please help if you know something that I'm missing. Oh Yes! I called Direct tv and they did'nt know what I was talking about. I must say that if Directv didn't have such a good product, when it is working of course, they would be in serious trouble.

I'm a new-comer and am looking for help with a new 5 LNB dish set-up for Directtv. I have it on the house and it is plum, I took down a 3 LNB that I had installed sucessfully, and now I have the cables and new LNB installed with satellite and am unable with a course beginning to get any signal. I set the azmuth, tilt and evelation as directed. Checked the mast for plum, and have tryed an hd20 and a regular box for signal. I'm setting the receveiver for the 110a satellite and looking at add #'s. Please help if you know something that I'm missing. Oh Yes! I called Direct tv and they did'nt know what I was talking about. I must say that if Directv didn't have such a good product, when it is working of course, they would be in serious trouble.

First, did you put up a new mast because the one for a 3 lnb dish is smaller than the one for the 5 lnb. Second, the 5 lnb dish is pointed at the 101 satellite, not the 110 like the 3 lnb is. Good luck!

Thanks Chip...I did replace the mast and I'm using the azmuth the receiver gave me for the 5 LNB.

I am starting to feel alittle stupid after reading other posts about the Slimline 5 LNB satellite dish. Should I be using the Zinwell Sup-2400 "B" band converter? How many degrees off can a setting be and still get some reading at the reciever? I'am at my weekend place in West Virginia and have little prospect of getting a professional installer to help me anytime soon. I wanted to make the change so that I could get the Football this weekend in hd. Most of you are able to talk the talk about this stuff much better than me so please ignore my dumbness and help me if you can. Thanks!

I am starting to feel alittle stupid after reading other posts about the Slimline 5 LNB satellite dish. Should I be using the Zinwell Sup-2400 "B" band converter? How many degrees off can a setting be and still get some reading at the reciever? I'am at my weekend place in West Virginia and have little prospect of getting a professional installer to help me anytime soon. I wanted to make the change so that I could get the Football this weekend in hd. Most of you are able to talk the talk about this stuff much better than me so please ignore my dumbness and help me if you can. Thanks!

The b band convertor isn't necessary yet. It will be when the new sats go up this summer. Tuning in the 101 sat should be relatively easy. Set the elevation and tilt,then point the dish to where your compass says the azimuth is. Then SLOWLY turn the dish a little bit at a time to let the receiver lock onto a signal. If the tilt is correct, you should get something from the 119 sat when the 101 is working. You may need to make some adjustments to your settings. As far as the 99 and 103 sats go, they are trickier because the wavelength of their signals is much shorter and harder to dial in. I think you need a meter for those. Good luck!

Thanks Chip, At least I can stop worrying about the "B" band converter. I've managed to get a signal from the 110C bird, but nothing else. I must say I'm going nowhere but excited that I've gotten anything at all after what I have experienced.

Don't even try adjusting for 110. Set your receiver or meter (preferably) for 101 and move it in azimuth until you find a signal (the angles given by the receiver may be a bit off). If you can't find one, move the elevation a bit and try again. You will eventually get it unless trees are blocking your view. Once you have 101, peak it as shown in the directions using the numbered dial. Next set the receiver for 119 and peak that using by adjusting the tilt. If those two adjustments are done correctly, 110, 99 and 103 should be visable as well (99 and 103 will only show a signal if you are in range of a spot beam).

If you peak 101 and don't get 119 (and there is no blockage), you are probably looking at the wrong satellite.

Don't even try adjusting for 110. Set your receiver or meter (preferably) for 101 and move it in azimuth until you find a signal (the angles given by the receiver may be a bit off). If you can't find one, move the elevation a bit and try again. You will eventually get it unless trees are blocking your view. Once you have 101, peak it as shown in the directions using the numbered dial. Next set the receiver for 119 and peak that using by adjusting the tilt. If those two adjustments are done correctly, 110, 99 and 103 should be visable as well (99 and 103 will only show a signal if you are in range of a spot beam).

If you peak 101 and don't get 119 (and there is no blockage), you are probably looking at the wrong satellite.

Either that or your tilt is set incorrectly.

I've really been looking for the 101 bird, but I have not tried the elevation and azmuth changes at the same time. That's my plan today. In frustration, I set-up the 3 LNB on the deck and have it working with know problem.

save the b band converter. you will need it when we start to relay programming off the 99 bird. the frequencies for the hd off the 99 are the same as off air and the filter will allow the ird to filter the 99 sat. the only sat you should look for on the slimline is the 101. the lnb is designed to lock in the rest. Which slimline are you using? The first couple thousand released need a kaku band 6x8 multiswitch to work. If you have any of the rev 1 or rev b models you wont need it. look on the lnb, it may tell you if it requires a multiswitch. Also do not mess with the dither bolts until you lock in the 101 bird.

Wanted to let you know that I found the 101, 119 and 110 at about 10 degrees east of where I was looking based on what the box told me. The elevation and tilt seem to be okey. I'm leaving for the week and will return to look for the two local birds next weekend.

Thanks Lear...My documentation with the slimline says that the 4x4 multi-switch is builtin. I'm now looking for a signal meter to help me tune the locals. Any sugestions? I went to e-bay and saw cheap and not so cheap. Don't worry, I'm not considering this as a profession. Ha!

Thanks Lear...My documentation with the slimline says that the 4x4 multi-switch is builtin. I'm now looking for a signal meter to help me tune the locals. Any sugestions? I went to e-bay and saw cheap and not so cheap. Don't worry, I'm not considering this as a profession. Ha!

Have you had a chance to see if your locals are coming in? The dish may be close enough the way it is. If not, you may need to have it done professionally. The meters are probably as expensive as having someone come and do it for you.

I'm not getting any HD on the locals. I think that you are right and I need professional help.

I'm not getting any HD on the locals. I think that you are right and I need professional help.

Well, I could use a little professional help myself, but that's a different matter! :D :D

Everything is great! I want anyone who is like me to know that just as the manual says "it is not recomended that you use the reciever for aiming your satellite". I kept looking for a local satellite after tuning the 101 to max and never saw a thing (signal that is). Went to a friends house where he had his working and looked at his setup and signal stength on the 101 and locals. The 101 was less than mine and he did not show anything for locals either. So... I went home and finished my setup and boom there they were..the locals. I'm a happy camper and so is my wife!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)