Help with Slimline 5lnb and H24 setup for RV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bama J

Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a RV and am attempting to get satellite working for camping trips. I found a used Slimline 5lnb with multiswitch on Craigslist, complete with pole and bucket of concrete.:D Dude said it worked....;). The RV is parked in the driveway, so I take a H24 and small TV out of the bedroom and roll the dish out there and see if I can get a signal. There is a coax cable running straight out of the LNB arm/multiswitch, that the guy I bought it from said he had used until he disconnected Directv. For simplification purposes I ran it through the window of the RV straight to the receiver.

I am getting no signal at all. In fact, it appears that the receiver isn't even "seeing" the dish. Upon boot up, when it goes into "retrieving satellite information" it stays at 0% then finally gives a 771 error. I went in and re-ran satellite setup because my home dish is a Slimline 3s SWM. I tried setting up as Slimline 5s SWM and Slimline 5 with Multiswitch. I checked elevation and azimuth, but no matter how much I move the dish around, I am not getting ANY signal AT ALL. 0's everywhere.

I noticed that when I brought the H24 back into the house, at "retrieving satellite information" it retrieves the data, but again it does not on the other dish. Does this mean the other dish is defective? Possible bad LNB? Did I get ripped off? Or am I doing something wrong with my setup?

Thanks in advance for any input.

1. How do you know you aimed correctly?

2. Did you use a B-Band converter?

3. Is it SWM or non-SWM? If SWM, you need a power inserter.

1. The guy I bought it from was 5 minutes away, so the elevation and tilt were already dead on. I typed my zip code on the receiver to confirm. I got out the level made sure it was level. As far as azimuth, I did not tighten the bolts that tighten the dish to the pole so I could move it. This dish was in my driveway, right beside/under my home dish. I started off by eyballing it, then inched it over a little at a time until it was obviously out of "range". Very small moves. I gave it a good 10-15 seconds between moves. I could see my TV the whole time, and I never even got a blip of signal. Nothing at all. I realize that my method is probably not the best, but should I not be close enough to get even some kind of signal?

2. I did not use a B-band converter. I do have one but didn't have it on. But from what I have read, I still should pick up 101, right?

3. Non SWM. It has a multiswitch internal to the LNB with a dual coax coming out of it. The previous owner had it hooked to his HR21. BTW I did try both coax's.

Welcome to satelliteguys! :welcome

Assuming the pole is plumb, then it's likely your azimuth setting. You do need the b band converter for 99 and 103, but not 101 or 119. Double check the mast for plumb, then try again. It sounds like you are close. Patience is the key.

I agree. Aim is off. Unless LNB is bad or cable is bad. Doubtful but it happens.

Are you set Slimline + Multiswitch?

Connected to Tuner 1 In?

Set for One Tuner?

OK guys, I'll go back out there and try again. I just thought I should be close enough to get SOME kind of movement on the signal meter.

schneid,
I did try slimline + multiswitch, but I did not look to see what inputs on the multiswitch that my cables are connected to. I'll check that before trying again tomorrow, I would tonight but it's raining like crazy.

OK guys, I'll go back out there and try again. I just thought I should be close enough to get SOME kind of movement on the signal meter.

schneid,
I did try slimline + multiswitch, but I did not look to see what inputs on the multiswitch that my cables are connected to. I'll check that before trying again tomorrow, I would tonight but it's raining like crazy.

Bama,
You gotta be EXACT in order to get a signal, close doesn't get it.
The sat your pointing at is 23,000 miles up.

Practice and patience.

Have you set these up before ?

Nope, first time. I didn't realize it had to be this precise, but I know now.:) I am persistent though, so I'll get it.

But is there any to "test" a LNB to make sure it's good, so I know I'm not spinning my wheels?

Nope, first time. I didn't realize it had to be this precise, but I know now.:) I am persistent though, so I'll get it.

But is there any to "test" a LNB to make sure it's good, so I know I'm not spinning my wheels?
As for testing a LNB, none that I know of.

What does this mean?

"see what inputs on the multiswitch that my cables are connected to"

Do you have a separate multiswitch in line? The multiswitch is part of LNB. If non-SWM, it has four connectors out. You use one feed to each tuner. When I spoke of Inputs, I meant those on the receiver. Just wanted to make sure you were on Tuner 1. But now I realize you have an H24 w no OTA so one is probably all there is.

I'm still w the aim crowd. Your mast must be absolutely plumb, the elevation and tilt accurately preset, and then a dead on magnetic (not true) shot to 101 must be obtained. Then you can start looking a meters.

Have you tried one of the cheepo meters? They are helpful but can also get you chasing the wrong bird.

schneid,
I thought you meant...which of the 4 outputs on the multiswitch were my cables attached to. I incorrectly said inputs but meant outputs. Sorry about that.

But.....I got it working! You guys were correct, aim and patience. I am at 98% on 101, mid 80's to high 90's on the others. I went and bought a cheapo compass at Wally World which helped a lot. Once I got it dialed in, I took a sharpie and marked due North on the rim of my bucket of concrete and then put a vertical mark on the dish and the pole (because the dish detaches for transport). Hopefully with my compass and level I will have a good starting point for aligning it at the campsite.

Thanks for everyone's help!

schneid,
I thought you meant...which of the 4 outputs on the multiswitch were my cables attached to. I incorrectly said inputs but meant outputs. Sorry about that.

But.....I got it working! You guys were correct, aim and patience. I am at 98% on 101, mid 80's to high 90's on the others. I went and bought a cheapo compass at Wally World which helped a lot. Once I got it dialed in, I took a sharpie and marked due North on the rim of my bucket of concrete and then put a vertical mark on the dish and the pole (because the dish detaches for transport). Hopefully with my compass and level I will have a good starting point for aligning it at the campsite.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Glad to see you got it working ...
Now, take it down and set it up again, practice, practice, practice ...
The more you practice the easier it will be when you get out of your comfort zone at home.

Did you happen to check the 99 and 103 sats while you had it set up ?
They are the Sats you'll need to get the HD channels in for the most part.

Jimbo,
I did take it completely down and back up several times for practice and I got to where I can get a signal in no time now, but of course this is at home. I'm sure it'll be different away from home but at least I have a good starting point and a lot more understanding of what is required now. I did check 99 and 103, I am between 86 and 95 on all of them, and at 98 on 101.

schneid,
Thanks for the recommendation, that is exactly what I need. I have every intention of ditching the bucket, if for no other reason than the fact that that son of a gun is HEAVY! But it came free with the dish so it's OK for a temporary solution.

Jimbo,
I did take it completely down and back up several times for practice and I got to where I can get a signal in no time now, but of course this is at home. I'm sure it'll be different away from home but at least I have a good starting point and a lot more understanding of what is required now. I did check 99 and 103, I am between 86 and 95 on all of them, and at 98 on 101.

schneid,
Thanks for the recommendation, that is exactly what I need. I have every intention of ditching the bucket, if for no other reason than the fact that that son of a gun is HEAVY! But it came free with the dish so it's OK for a temporary solution.

Sounds like your good to go and your SS looks much better now !

If you have an Android or an iwachyamacallit, Dishpointer sells one slick app.

If not lookup up your stops on their website and print them. Makes things much easier when you get there.

Also, beware of magnetic interference. Your campsite can have man-made and natural anomalies to fool your compass and get off on the wrong foot. I normally take some compass shots in different spots so I have good idea where the birds should be.

Yep, I stumbled across the dishpointer website the other day and saved it to favorites. Unfortunately my phone is Windows mobile so they don't have an app for it. But I can go on there like you said and print the coordinates. it is pretty slick, I played with the arrow a while by moving it around....pretty cool.

You are right about the magnetic interference. I even found that if the compass I have is less than 6 inches or so from my dish and pole, it is skewed.

Glad you brought that up. One strength of the TV4RV setup is that the mount is aimed before the dish is introduced avoiding the introduction of interference. Read the details about their EZ Aim system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)