Help with Slimline Set-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksu_funny33

Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Kansas
I recently purchased a Slimline 5 LNB satellite kit for tailgating. The satellite I bought was a directv HD 5 LNBF. I received it today and put everything together to the best of my knowledge. I am definitely not a satellite guru so I went by what I saw with my house dish and with what I learned from the web and installation manual. I even read through the thread another guy had installing his just a few days ago. Hopefully you can help me like you helped him!

I am having trouble figuring out how the course knobs and fine adjustment knobs are for the tilt, azimuth, and elevation. Are those the little black knobs? I have gathered the info for my azimuth, elevation, and tilt from dishpointer.com. After putting everything together and leveling out my unit. I began adjusting the elevation and tilt by just loosening the bolts and then tightening them. I assume this is not correct, but I was getting confused by the manual's instructions. I then used a digital compass app to try to direct my azimuth, but I am not quite sure where I should set my phone to direct it. Should I place it on the lnb bar or what? I tried going through the dish installation on my receiver but I only get 0's for the 32 inputs on the 101. I hope you can help me. I am not terrible with electronics typically, but I have never worked with satellites before so hopefully I don't sound too bad. Thanks!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, if your receiver is a non dvr you should be able to turn on the sound in dish pointing to help get a signal, it will start beeping faster the better signal you have. I you get a signal mark the mount and dish with a pencil then use the "dithering" adustment to fine tune to get 101 in. After that the others should fall into place.

I do have a regular HD box with no DVR. It is the model H21-200. I have tried going through and getting a signal, but I couldn't seem to pick anything up. Maybe I was moving my dish too fast and not waiting for the signal? I'm not totally sure my tilt, azimuth, and elevation are dialed in correctly. I roughly dialed them in, but I am not totally sure about the azimuth as I am unsure where to aim my compass.

Can anybody offer me some advice? It appears that I was going off of the settings off my home dish, which is a 5-lnb swm and my tailgate dish is just a 5-lnb. I think I need to adjust the settings when I go through the dish setup on my receiver to 5-lnb without the swm set up. I have given up for the night as it is too dark outside to keep at it, but I plan to go after it again tomorrow after I get off of work. I think I might pick up a post level to make sure that I am completely level as I was just using a standard level tonight. I hope that by changing the settings on my receiver set up to not include the swm I will be able to get some signals on the 101 satellite. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The settings on the dish are the same for swm and non-swm. First, definitely use a post level as opposed to the one in the mast, they are more accurate. If you are using a box from your swm setup, you need to go into the menu for the antenna setup and change it to non-swm. Make sure you are using the azimuth settings for the 101 satellite. You can get the numbers from www.dishpointer.com or they are also in the setup menu in the receiver/dvr. Don't put the compass on the dish or right near it as it will affect it's accuracy. Go behind the dish with it. Good luck!

I will try this after I get off work today. If I remember correctly, the box setup said something along the lines of LNB-5 and then below it SWM was highlighted, but I don't think I could change it to take that off. Do I need to choose another LNB-5 setting? When I get home later, I can read through the other LNB-5 choices so I can provide a better idea of them.

A few other questions...I have the 3 foot RG6 cable running from one of the inputs on the LNB to my satellite finder that came with my kit. I then have a longer RG6 running to a B band converter which is then running into my receiver. I assume that I need the B band converter and that my setup is okay otherwise. I don't seem to get any spikes on the satellite finder as well. I took it off as I thought it might be defective and just planned to use my receiver and then signal meter on it. Instead of the satellite meter joining the two RG6 cables, I have a F81 double female barrel connector. If anything is wrong with my setup, that would be nice to know. Thanks!

Well after coming home and switching the satellite dish settings on my receiver to Slimline 5 and Multiswitch, I got it in what seems like 5 minutes. Almost all of my 101 transponders were >95. I didn't even have the tilt and azimuth fine tuned. I just ran through the setup on my receiver with the help of a directv tech person guiding me over the phone and am now enjoying my shows in HD just fine. I even did it a second time after changing the position of my dish, and I got it in a matter of minutes. It almost feels like I cheated or something as easy as it turned out. After reading and watching all the videos, I was ready for it to take me forever. Hopefully it gets me by!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)