help with switches

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badmotorscooter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Indy
I have read the switch FAQ but I am not sure what to do. I have one standard lnb on a motor, one standard lnb on a stationary dish, and one circular lnb for nasa/angel one. I want to hook this up to 2 receivers, I can settle for one right now if i need to.

fortec star merc II
coolsat 6000
digiwave something (not concerned with right now)
2 Coda 22k switches
1 4x1 Diseqc switch

I think what i should do is go receiver, 22khz switch - on leg - dbs lnb
off leg - 4x1 switch, use 2 inputs, one for motor lnb, and one for stationary lnb on separate dish.

will that work?

I would suggest post #5 of the Switch FAQ.
That will get you all of your LNBs and your motor connected to the first receiver.

You don't want to put most cheap diseqc switches between the receiver and the motor.
It's been reported that you -can- use an Ecoda 22khz switch in that capacity, but I would only consider it as a last resort.

As for the 2nd receiver, the LNBs would need a second output and another diseqc switch.
You can't use one-output LNBs in this application, if they are what's generally called the Legacy type.
(voltage controlled for polarity)

edit: the Coolsat 6000 and Mercury II receivers are both good choices for running the motor.
I don't know anything about the Digiwave.
Did you actually want to connect three receivers?
If so, I'm sure we can come up with something. :)

Ok, I think I grasp the post #5 pretty easy, now how does one setup the receiver to know which "port" it is using on the switch?
? #2... Can I use a hose clamp and put my dbs lnb(for 119) beside my standard lnb on the stationary dish if I park it at 123W? If I read it correctly you can do that if the 2 birds are within 4deg. of one another. I would put it on the right side if you are facing the dish. This is a 30" dish I want to use for the stationary gig.

Ok, I think I grasp the post #5 pretty easy, now how does one setup the receiver to know which "port" it is using on the switch?

For a 22k switch, the satellite that the LNB connected to '0k' on the switch is receiving is set to '22k off' in setup. The satellite that the LNB connected to '22k' on the switch is receiving is set to '22k on' in setup.

For a DiSEqC switch, the satellite that the LNB connected to port 1 on the switch is receiving is set to 'port 1' under DiSEqC 1.0 in setup. The satellite that the LNB connected to port 2 on the switch is receiving is set to 'port 2' under DiSEqC 1.0 in setup. Same for ports 3 and 4.

? #2... Can I use a hose clamp and put my dbs lnb(for 119) beside my standard lnb on the stationary dish if I park it at 123W? If I read it correctly you can do that if the 2 birds are within 4deg. of one another. I would put it on the right side if you are facing the dish. This is a 30" dish I want to use for the stationary gig.

Yes, you can, but you would want the 119w LNB to be left of the 123w LNB when facing the dish. Since the signals are bounced off the dish, the positions of the LNBs are opposite relative to the positions of the satellites in space.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)