Help with switching to E*

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
I am seriously considering making the switch to E* but it doesn't seem like I can do so with the configuration that I want. I would like 6 receivers, 1 HD-DVR, 2 SD-DVR, 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers. I want a separate stb in each room. The person I talked to on the phone didn't think that they could do this. Is that true??

vip 622 Dual tuner two room hd dvr (1 room hd 1Room sd.. dvr both rooms)(mpg4)
Vip 211 Single tuner HD reciver (mpg 4)(non DVR)
510 SD dvr
311 SD reciver (non DVR)

Unfortunatly due to the tuner constraint of 6 tuners on an account one room will not have a reciver as it will have only a remote that works with the 942. but it works like you have your own stb in there :)

It can be done but your looking at out of production equipment some of wich has a dark history associated with it. One is the 921 hd dvr, this is a receiver that I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. What you can do is something like this.

HD tv 1 gets a 942 HD DVR dual tuner, the second tuner output is SD and the coax outputs in stereo, this can go to one of the SD tvs. Second HD tv gets an 811/411 non dvr single tv receiver. Second and third tv get a 625 dual tuner DVR that allows for individual viewing at both locations along with DVR being independant between both, last tv gets a 311 model receiver, doing this you will actually get DVR functions on 4 out of 6 of your tv's. Best bet is to get the 625 and 942 on the account right off the bat and then purchase the 811/411 and the 311 additional. There is a switch that you will need also called the dish pro plus 44 and the best way to get this without paying for it is to have dish network due the install themselves instead of having a sub or a dealer do it as they will have to charge to cover the cost of it. Explain to the csr when you call to order that your going to need this switch as your going to add additional equipment in, they can even sell you the two additional receivers when you set up your account. Make sure to get the CSR's operator ID and get all the details in writing and have them email you confirmation as well.

Cant get 510's anymore goaliebob, they are no longer stocked at any DNS facility.

Your missing a receiver on your second receiver line up.

You can pretty much do what ever you want if you buy the equipment yourself. If you want the lease program they limit the number of tuners. If you buy the equipment I believe you can have 6 boxes on one account. If all the boxes are dual tuner ones then you can have 12 TV.

Get a 622, a 522 and a 322 (or a bit later a 222). You will have 3 boxes, serve 6 TVs with each able to watch a different station at the same time, and only pay $10/month for the 2 extra boxes... saving $15/month to have a separate box in each room.

The "6" limit applies to any residential account.

It is 6 RECEIVERS (set top boxes), NOT tuners.

As for DHA leasing, the maximum number is 4 TUNERS.

Thanks for all the answers. I guess I have some decisions to make as I really need a separate box in every room because of the way my home is wired.

dgordo said:
Thanks for all the answers. I guess I have some decisions to make as I really need a separate box in every room because of the way my home is wired.
Doubtful.

If you can get a satellite feed to a room, you can get a TV2 UHF feed to that room using diplexers to backfeed the TV2 signal from the receiver back to the closest point of access to the other room's feed cable.

I do it all the time. The only downside is that it's a coax feed, not composite, S-Video, or HD. If that's not an issue, then dual-tuner boxes will get it done for you.

Dual-tuner DVRs are normally configured to act as if they are two SEPARATE units. The only issue is that they share the same hard disk. That's often an advantage.

Dual-tuner non-DVRs ARE effectively two independent boxes, except they have the advantage of being able to share a satellite feed cable when used with DPPlus hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts