Help with Tailgate Set-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ewjones1982

Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hey All,

Needed some quick input. Did a search, but could not find what I needed.

I plan to try attempt bringing my extra slimline to tailgate this fall, instead of my usual 18" dish. Aiming issues aside, I was curious about the SWM set-up, since at home I have an old mulitswitch.

With a single h20 reciever, could I run a 5-lnb SWM directly to my H20, without the need for a power inverter?

Also, since I use a B-band converter now with my H20, do I need it with a SWM?

Thanks all, wanted to know what I needed to order in time for a "test-run" in my front yard.

Hey All,

Needed some quick input. Did a search, but could not find what I needed.

I plan to try attempt bringing my extra slimline to tailgate this fall, instead of my usual 18" dish. Aiming issues aside, I was curious about the SWM set-up, since at home I have an old mulitswitch.

With a single h20 reciever, could I run a 5-lnb SWM directly to my H20, without the need for a power inverter?

Also, since I use a B-band converter now with my H20, do I need it with a SWM?

Thanks all, wanted to know what I needed to order in time for a "test-run" in my front yard.

The idea with the SWM is to have just one wire to the recvr for recording purposes.
I don't have one so others can jump in here, but personally, I would try it without the inverter like you said in the front yard and see how it works.
Your H20 defiantly does NOT need a SWM to work, is this a spare dish ?
I hope your not taking your existing one down to play at the tailgates.

It's a spare...

I moved, and kept my old slimline.

I was wanting to use the SWM so I would not have 4 wires and a multiswitch to deal with, as a tripod, slimline, and single rg-6 is cumbersome enough.

I 2nd jimbo - no need for SWM here. I would actually suggest against it, due to needing power (yes the power inserter is 100% mandatory).

You would only need 1 or 2 direct coax lines from LNB to H20, with a regular LNB.

Since nobody has come out and said it, you don't need an outboard multiswitch at all. There is one built in to the Slimline that will drive the H20 (or up to four tuners) directly.

You didn't search very well.

In other words, just run one cable from your old Slimline to the H20. It will work just fine as long as the dish is aligned.
And since the you don't need 99 or 103, you don't need the BBC.

In other words, just run one cable from your old Slimline to the H20. It will work just fine as long as the dish is aligned.
And since the you don't need 99 or 103, you don't need the BBC.
how would he not need the 99 or 103? I can see where he wouldn't need the 110 or 119 but not the new ones???? IMHO he WOULD need the BBC or BBCs.:cool:

I assumed that he won't be using an HD setup at the tailgate. He used an old 18' dish previously and didn't mention having HD capability. If he does need HD then yes he needs the BBC.

This is a case where more information upfront is best. :)

I assumed that he won't be using an HD setup at the tailgate. He used an old 18' dish previously and didn't mention having HD capability. If he does need HD then yes he needs the BBC.

This is a case where more information upfront is best. :)

I'll stick with the old non SWM 5-lnb then. Did not know that about the multiswitch. And yes, I planned on having HD, which I should have said earlier, as an 18" is much easier(and I'm begining to doubt if HD is worth hauling the bigger dish for).

Anyone have any experience getting HD on an 18" dish or an old phase III dish?

Last edited:
And yes, I planned on having HD, which I should have said earlier, as an 18" is much easier(and I'm begining to doubt if HD is worth hauling the bigger dish for).
EW... I've been tailgating with D* (and E* before that) for quite a few years. I've toyed with bringing my HD satgear. I already use a 32" Vizio. To be honest, outdoors with all the commotion, partying, noise and so forth, I've never felt it to be worth the trouble to do HD. I can set my 18" dish in literally 90 seconds. Going to the Vizio it really does not look bad at all. I will occasionally go OTA for HD but really not often. You have to really want it to go HD IMHO. :cool:

Since nobody has come out and said it, you don't need an outboard multiswitch at all. There is one built in to the Slimline that will drive the H20 (or up to four tuners) directly.

You didn't search very well.

You didn't read my post very well, either, Mr Smartypants. :)

You would only need 1 or 2 direct coax lines from LNB to H20, with a regular LNB.

Hi all,

I have a similar question (and yes we really want HD at our tailgate. HD DVR in fact.)

What we have:
HD TV
HR22 HD DVR Receiver
Phase III dish (used to have the 101/110/119 LNB - since removed)
We are in Raleigh NC ZIP 27606 - don't need 110/119.

I want to try a slimline LNB3 (101/99/103) with this dish - others I know around here have had success with the slimline LNB3 and Phase III dish - I'm willing to try it.

Assuming I'm on track so far (big assumption), here's my delemma: My LNB options are:
- Slimline 3LNB SWM
- Slimline 3LNB no SWM

If I get the no SWM LNB - I assume I can run two cables from two of the 4 outputs straight to my receiver, correct?

If I get the SWM LNB, I still need a power source, and also don't I also need a splitter with three terminators even though I'm only using one DVR receiver (which means two tuners)? I don't think I can just run the single output from the SWM 3LNB directly to my H23 (through the power supply). Am I correct here that I need a switch with terminators?

I'd certainly rather have only one cable, but not at the cost of a power supply, splitter, and the more expensive SWM LNB.

THoughts?

Last edited:
Since this seems to be the hot topic for tailgating talk, I'll jump in with another question. What are folks going HD using for a stand?

I've got my trusty Winegard tripod, but I'm beginning to think it is not rugged enough. First problem I encountered was the mast is only 1.6" dia. and the Slimline receptacle is about 2". Went to Lowes and bought a piece of sch. 40 1.5" white PVC pipe, made one longitudinal cut, and slipped/beat it on the 1.6" end. (note 1.5" pipe o.d. is 1.9")

Next problem, even on flat ground, the long LNB mast arm creates a moment that nearly tips over the tripod. Solved that by taking a 3x3 piece of plywood, attaching 3 strips of wood at 120 degrees, and used 3 c-clamps to attach/level the tripod legs to the strips.

Now the tripod hub is getting a bit wobbly and I'm not sure it will stay rigid enough to hold the mast plumb.

What are others using?

one wolf - no question, non-SWM. Power is the most scarce thing in a tailgate setup, and you don't need extra with a non-SWM.

riga - maybe some cinder blocks for weight/stability?

I still think this is the best tail gate rig for HD reception and it can be purchased for under $100.

sl3p3.jpg

Phase III dish with slimline3 LNB.

I still think this is the best tail gate rig for HD reception and it can be purchased for under $100.

sl3p3.jpg

That's exactly what we're going with... my only question now is whether to use a SWM LNB or not. I know my DVR receiver will accept one SWM input mutliplexed with two tuner signals, but I can't run that coax direct from the single SWM 3LNB output, can I? Wouldn't I still need a splitter with three standard 75ohm terminators? This is my only remaining question.

If I can run my SWM 3LNB cable directly from the LNB to the receiver, then I'm going with that, even if it means need for the power supply. We have a generator so power isn't an issue. But our van is hard wired with only 1 Coax - so running two would mean a loose cable strung up and around and I'm trying to avoid that.

I sure appreciate all the help from this forum - I have learned a whole lot in a very short time by doing some searching here.

Matt,

Thanks for that pic. Is that the regular arm that comes w/ the Ph. III? I assume this will pick up all the HD channels (or at leat the ones we'd need at a tailgate - locals/ESPN/sportspack etc.). Do you know where to get the specs on that mounting rig?

Thanks again!

Rather than starting another tailgating thread......hopefully a simple question, but is there a specific deep cycle marine battery or category (group) I need to power a tv setup? I'm probably going to buy 2 to get about 3 hours out of each of them...if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I 2nd jimbo - no need for SWM here. I would actually suggest against it, due to needing power (yes the power inserter is 100% mandatory).

Yes, I checked with a D* installer today and he verified what I had thought, IF you have the SWM with the inverter you DO need to use it ...

Matt... I've seen you refer to this before, but it's a homemade rig, correct? It's not actually available for $100 as a turnkey item somewhere is it? Thanks:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.