HELP with the 522

Digital Rain said:
On the 522 - should the fan on the bottom of the unit be spinning all the time or does it just kick in when it gets warm or hot?

My 522's fan doesn't run very much at all. I believe that the fan is activated by the receiver once the unit gets too warm.

I will say that HEAT is a major enemy of all electronics. You should always keep the unit in a cool place that is well ventilated. You should NEVER place the unit is a closed cabinet.

John

I have never heard my 522's fan except for a reboot (it kicks on a few seconds). Mine isn't 100% out in the open, but it's not enclosed either. Under diagnostics, the avg. temp. on the HD is 105 degrees. I guess that's okay?

Yeah, 105 should be fine. I like my stuff running cooler. It'll last longer.

Right now my laptop's P-III 866MHz CPU (hottest running part of a PC) is running at 95F. It used to run hotter, but then it's pitiful fan died, so I pulled the CPU cover and mounted the laptop on an external stand with fans, and used weatherstripping to make an air duct. :) Not nearly as portable now, but is running much better.

Isn't there a software program that you can get for some computers/laptops to see how hot your computer is running? If so where would I find that at? Also how do I access the temperate of the 522? I wish they kept the temperature guage on the 721 even if it meant us having to access it a secret way so that the average user dont question it. Maybe its still there but just hidden.

Stargazer said:
Also how do I access the temperate of the 522?

MENU - 6 - 3 - COUNTERS - SELECT - PAGE DOWN

14) HDD High Temp: 123 'F
15) HDD Low Temp: 105 'F
16) HDD Average Temp: 118 'F

Your info may differ slightly....

Well, I'm running "SpeedFan" on my laptop and "MotherBoardMonitor5" on one of my desktop systems. Many modern motherboards come with their own utilities. Most "big brand" junkers (HP, Compaq, Gateway, Dell) have nothing, but the two utilities I mentioned might work.

As for the E* boxes, AFAIK an external thermometer is about all you can do.

OK, I tried using the channel/up down and it wouldn't work before and I thought it was in that screen and I just tried the page up/down right before I got back to this thread. 14 High Temp is missing from the seletion. I wonder why. It says HDD Low Temp 98 F and Average Temp 116 F.

I have a Dell laptop and a Toshiba Satellite. I'm guessing neither of them have sensors on them. I'm going to try to the SpeedFan one you mentioned above for both of them. The fan on my Toshiba Satellite seems to be running all the time even when the screen saver pops up but it doesnt on my Dell. My room stays cool (70 or less). It might have to do with the maximum cooling setting I set my Toshiba to but woudlnt think it would run this much. What are the advantages to the maximum cooling vs. the quiet setting? Would it be harmful to put it on quiet or just a higher risk of it overheating?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)