Help with the dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
I found this add on craigslist from a guy thats about 20 miles from me who has 2-10' fiberglass dishes, 2-6' fiberglass dishes, numerous drake, uniden, houston tracker, lnbs, motors, all kinds of stuff for next to nothing. Does anyone know what kind of dishes these might be and would the 10' fiberglass be better than my 8' mesh dish?? Just wondering if getting this stuff would be worth it.

Attachments

• 10'.jpg
    10'.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 6'-1.jpg
    6'-1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 6'-2.jpg
    6'-2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 130
Myself, I'm not much on fiberglass dishes, but spare feeds, lnbs, actuators and even mounts are always handy.
Some fiberglass dishes are ok for Ku, some not and without factory specs about the only way to know is trial and error.
They are all good for c-band and I would think a 10 ft 'glass would get a cleaner c-band signal than an 8' mesh...
Oh, and one man's 'next to nothing' is another man's bank account... :eek:

although its possible that the 10 ft fiberglass is better than your mesh. i usually find that fiberglass dishes are a hit/miss thing. You could get a good one or one that is unable to support Ku. should be able to get c-band...... but the main thing here is thes dishes are very heavy ---- very heavy look at that old pusher behind one it huge... plus most of the old fiberglass dishes are old and haven't moved in years , usually requiring a mount to be rebuilt. did i mention they are heavy.

I like take a few pictures of the old fiberglass dishes but like 14 Karat usually stay with the mesh ones ( unless its a birdview ) :) or channelmaster or prodlin

so main thing with these. they make great stationary dishes, work usually pretty good on c-band and take some help when taking them down.

If you think about it, mesh dishes were invented to get away from these heavy old fiberglass dishes. ;)

I would keep the 8" mesh dish and work with it. Mush less wear and tear on moving parts.

If you think about it, mesh dishes were invented to get away from these heavy old fiberglass dishes. ;)

I would keep the 8" mesh dish and work with it. Mush less wear and tear on moving parts.

Yeah, i bet something that big would be pretty heavy. I was going to keep the 8'er anyways and maybe get one of them 10'ers to play around with. I was just wondering if the signal (from any sat) would be stronger on the 10' solid compared to the 8' mesh. Well, it's not that far away, think i might just drive over and have a look around.
Thanks for your help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)