Status
Not open for further replies.

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
My Mom's HP PC bit the dust and she had another one built. Using her original peripherals (including printer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers), I hooked everything up without a problem. The only thing is, I can barely hear sound from the speakers. The keyboard on the original system had a volume control that worked. As expected, the keyboard volume control now does nothing. Even though I felt confident I had the single mini-plug connected to the right input, I tried 'em all to no avail. I have all the Windows generic volume controls cranked, and nothing's muted. I have the correct 2-speaker setup in the generic Windows "sounds and audio devices". The low volume is consistent with everything (Windows media, generic audio theme wav's, etc.) The MB is an AMD. Any suggestions?

Do the speakers plug in (active) or do they just connect to the computer (passive)? If they are passive then you will have to buy more speakers (Wal-Mart has them starting around $10). The reason some sound cards have built-in amplifiers that drive the speakers, most don't. Your only choice is to buy more speakers or buy another sound card (more expensive). If your speakers are active, then make sure that you are plugging them into the right spot.

Check what you have them plugged in to. There is one output that gives you audio but is really quiet, I don't remember which one it is off hand. Put the speaker volume about halfway between quiet/loud, play an mp3 and then try switching the plug to any available audio output and see if one of them doesn't give you the audio you're looking for.

Otherwise in your windows volume control (boo), check EVERYTHING to make sure some slider isn't down, beyond the intial screen. Change it to show every section and something there may be muted or have a low slider. My turtle beach sound card has it's own volume that overtakes windows thank god...

For anyone else, Turtle beach blows anything from the sound blaster away. If you ever want a fantastic audio card, that's actually really cheap (especially compared to that awful Live/Audigy crap), look into turtle beach...I had no idea what decent sound was on a computer until I got rid of the sound blaster 5.1, no more popping, hissing, driver issues, etc...

Turtle Beach!!! i should buy stock...

<buffering>
Real Player? Oh wow, I just <buffering> took a trip in the time machine back to 1998 for a <buffering> second there...

Tony was right, the HP speakers were passive, and apparently the sound card wasn't giving 'em juice. The sound card may have even been integrated (I didn't bother to check). So, I bought Mom some $30 speakers @ Office Depot (2.1) and she thinks they sound great. I played some CDA & MP3s for her. Granted, the majority of her listening will be of generic Windows sound FX and the occasional "cutesy email".

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)