Help with Wildblue speed and connectivity problems

MMinMD

Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Not sure this is the right forum.. I guess Dish is somehow linked to WildBlue now....

Any, I've had WildBlue internet service in Southern MD for >2 years. Always had problems but don't want to cough up install/equip $$ to another crappy satellite provider.

Can people suggests fixes for these problems, short of trashing the WildBlue system and starting again? My neighbors with Hughes seem much happier.

Slow downloads. WildBlue always tells me its my wireless router (Linksys G), not them.

Also the modem loses connectivity ALOT (2-3X per week). This is in addition to bad weather probelms. I wonder if there are problems with the router dealing with the non-fixed IP address? I have updated my router firmware, that seems to help sometimes.

Thanks-

i would say call professionals and have them go over everything. such thing as level mast, good signal, solid copper cable, no tight screw clips on cable, ..... it goes on and on. i would not recommend touching it because you will make it worst

I've had WildBlue for 2 years and had frequent connectivity problems initially. A check of the coax connections at the dish found them loose and I tightened them. Then they seemed to go through a rash of network problems where I would lose satellite connectivity for hours at a time. I worked with one CSR for almost 30 minutes once when he suddenly said that the node that serviced my area just came back up. He didn't know it was down. Then I went through months of connectivity issues that were always fixed temporarily by booting my D-Link router. I ordered a Netgear RangeMax Next, but in the meantime checked for firmware upgrades, found one and installed it. No more connectivity issues. Installed the Netgear when it arrived and have been a very happy camper since then as it has much better wireless coverage.
In summary, WildBlue's infrastructure has improved during the past couple of years and the router turned out to be the main source of my problems. I have even maintained connectivity through snowstorms with some slowing of response time during the storm. Basically, if the modem lights show it is connected to the satellite, then your router is the most likely cause of the problem.
The help desk can check your signal strength and will dispatch the installer if it is not up to specs.

Thanks for the info. I'll check the coax connections on the dish.
Perhapsh I should switch to a Netgear router of move up to wireless N.

However, we often generally have outages where the modem loses it connection to the satellite. They sometimes seem to be generally software related - an automatic update, or a file download results in a dropped connection.

Also, is there way to repoint the dish w/o calling an installer? It's on a roof mount, and we've had plenty of high winds.

Last, I can't seem to get WildBlue help desk to actually check my signal strength. They want me to go through every possible option while I'm online before they will tell me what the connection looks like from their end.

Thanks again.

Wildblue dishes that are even *slightly* out of alignment will cause you grief.

Being what you said with roof mount and high winds with loss of connectivity I'll take a stab that is infact alignment.

You'll have to setup a service call unless you have a wildblue antenna pointing aid (APA) to peak your dish. If your a hardcore DIY'er, I think they go for about $90. You'll also need a cheap little satellite meter that can be had for like $10.

One thing to keep in mind also is that all bends in the coax from the TRIA (lnb more/less) to the modem can not be sharp, a the radius of a loop should be big enough to stick your head into.

I been visiting as a guest for awhile. When I saw this Wildblue thread appear I decided to become a member. I have very few issues if any with Dish Network, however I have a few with Wildblue.

I hope Wildblue becomes a permanent thread fixture here. Nice job Satelliteguys.

Harrywb in South Central Pa.

Not sure how the lnbf system is on a wildblue but if its anything like the one on starband then if the polarity is off it will also cause this problem.

Not sure this is the right forum.. I guess Dish is somehow linked to WildBlue now....

Any, I've had WildBlue internet service in Southern MD for >2 years. Always had problems but don't want to cough up install/equip $$ to another crappy satellite provider.

Can people suggests fixes for these problems, short of trashing the WildBlue system and starting again? My neighbors with Hughes seem much happier. ...
The best site for help with WildBlue issues is

WildBlue Uncensored ! Satellite Support Forums - Powered by vBulletin

FWIW I had WildBlue for a little over a year and was thrilled when my contract ran out and I canceled my "service" :)

OBTW Satellite internet service is an oxymoron.

Talon Dancer

I wonder if there are problems with the router dealing with the non-fixed IP address?

If your router has a problem with the ip address changing... your router is screwed up.

Last, I can't seem to get WildBlue help desk to actually check my signal strength. They want me to go through every possible option while I'm online before they will tell me what the connection looks like from their end.

Thanks again.

if you can pm or email me your modem's mac address... i'll check your modem status and signal and such in SVT (i'm an installer :) )

What he's wanting though is for a section for it to show up here wich it would be nice to see a section for all sat internet services.

What he's wanting though is for a section for it to show up here wich it would be nice to see a section for all sat internet services.

I guess I don't understand... we have a Broadband forum here, and a whole lot of the talk in there is about Wildblue and Hughesnet... not enough talk to have dedicated forums for either in my opinion.

The Broadband Forum - SatelliteGuys.US

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)