Help ... Zero Quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sathere

Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I am new to this. I am trying to install a motorized system. I keep getting 85% level but zero quality. Please Help. This is what I have and what I am doing.

I have a Vission Sat IV2000 receiver, GEOSATpro 90 cm dish, GEOSATpro GS120 motor and a GEOSATpro Universal Ku-Band LNBF GSL1u- Bullet.

My location is 36.61N, 119.44 W. I entered my coordinates on the GeoSatFinder website and it gave me this Satellite to point to: 119W with compass reading 165.1 and dish elevation 47.5. I looked up the frequencies on lyngsat.com and picked a 12268 L tp4 with SR FEC 2000. However I couldn’t find SR FEC 2000 in my receiver. So I selected another satellite. I chose 101W.

To set up my dish I first mounted the motor and dish on a vertical post. I pointed it south by eye balling it to south with the help of a compass (166 deg) and taking into account magnetic deviation. I installed the LNBF with 0 rotation and connected the cables. I rotated the motor mount to latitude 36 and dish angle setting 24, as per the instructions in the motor manual.

On the receiver I selected satellite: 101W, frequency: 12120 M 30000 [V], LNB power: On, LNB type: universal, DisSEqC 1.0: off, DisSEqC 1.1: off, Legacy SW: off, Positioner: USALS, Dish Longitude: 119.4, Dish Latitude: 036.6 Then I selected Go To and the motor moved for a while and then stopped. I got 85% level but zero quality!

Knowing that my compass reading should be 136.7 and elevation 43.3 I moved the dish up / down and side to side in small increments while watching the TV screen to see any indication of quality but I got nothing. So far I’ve spent a number of days and many hours but whatever I do I get zero quality signal! I did a blind scan but it took a very long time with no results. I also did another blind scan with manual frequency range from 10700-12900 and it still took a very long time with no results.

I have a clear view of the southern sky with some trees on either side. But my line of sight to where I think the satellite is located is clear.

If you have any ideas of what I should do please let me know. Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

welcome :wave

I am new to this. I am trying to install a motorized system. I keep getting 85% level but zero quality. Please Help. This is what I have and what I am doing.
we'll try our best :)

I have a Vission Sat IV2000 receiver, GEOSATpro 90 cm dish, GEOSATpro GS120 motor and a GEOSATpro Universal Ku-Band LNBF GSL1u- Bullet.
nice choice of receiver. Have one and love it. I would highly suggest updating the software from the manufacturer's website first. It will solve some bugs in the box...I posted the file below

My location is 36.61N, 119.44 W. I entered my coordinates on the GeoSatFinder website and it gave me this Satellite to point to: 119W with compass reading 165.1 and dish elevation 47.5. I looked up the frequencies on lyngsat.com and picked a 12268 L tp4 with SR FEC 2000. However I couldn’t find SR FEC 2000 in my receiver. So I selected another satellite. I chose 101W.
The issue here is your true south is a DBS satellite yet the LNB is not. So we have a problem. We need to use a linear satellite. Since the nearest is 121 we'll use that. Make sure the motor is back at zero before we start.

On the receiver I selected satellite: 101W, frequency: 12120 M 30000 [V], LNB power: On, LNB type: universal, DisSEqC 1.0: off, DisSEqC 1.1: off, Legacy SW: off, Positioner: USALS, Dish Longitude: 119.4, Dish Latitude: 036.6 Then I selected Go To and the motor moved for a while and then stopped. I got 85% level but zero quality!
On the receiver select Echo9 at 121 degrees west. Frequency if its listed use this
12074 frequency
V polarity
20000 symbol rate

LNB power ON
LNB type UNIVERSAL
Diseqc 1.0 OFF
Diseqc 1.1 OFF
Legacy Sw OFF
Positioner USALS

save and go into positioner settings. It should show
Satellite Echo9 at 121.0W
Frequency 12074
Positioner USALS
Change Dish Longitude & Latitude to YOUR latitude & longitude and select "go to" press OK...the motor will move to where 121 would be on the motor. Then physically move the whole dish assembly/motor to lock in on 121.

Knowing that my compass reading should be 136.7 and elevation 43.3 I moved the dish up / down and side to side in small increments while watching the TV screen to see any indication of quality but I got nothing. So far I’ve spent a number of days and many hours but whatever I do I get zero quality signal! I did a blind scan but it took a very long time with no results. I also did another blind scan with manual frequency range from 10700-12900 and it still took a very long time with no results.

for the true south (or in this case near true south) compass reading should be 168ish. Elevation on the motor so be the same as your latitude (36-37) and dish elevation should only be (now here is where it gets confusing since I dont know what that motor matches up against. The manual should say what the dish should be at......the motor looks like my SG2100 which if that is the case dish should be at 24 elevation....30-declination angle which for your area is 5.77). Hopefully someone with that motor can chime in

It sounds like the dish is pointed too high. Also signal strngth will show as long as there is power to the LNB. Its quality that matters :)

Good luck and hopefully it was something minor :)

Attachments

• Visionsat.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
OK, I did what you suggested Iceberg and selected Echo9 at 121W but I still got nothing. The manual for the motor says 24 elevation for my latitude position (just like you said).

I’ve read your replies on other forums about the LNB being not the source of the problem 99% of the time but I am wondering could mine be that 1% and be defective!? Thanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)