Helping mother-in-law

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Use the locks feature to lock and hide any channels that are not wanted (QVC??) and they will never show up in any guide.

Use the locks feature to lock and hide any channels that are not wanted (QVC??) and they will never show up in any guide.

I may be wrong, but using the locks requires you to activate a pass code. That opens a whole new problem. I tried that to hide some channels and my technophobe wife was baffled. I turned off the locks. She never figured out how to use my BUD (Big Ugly Dish)!

Locks do not effect the everyday operation of the receiver unless you set ratings on programs.

With channels locked out and hidden, the pass key would only be needed if you wanted to change the locked channels.

Ok, I got her set up. What a PITA for old farts with no computer. Now my wife and I have to get all her Dish emails because of paperless billing. :(

I setup an email account for my Dad years ago. He knew it was there, but I checked it every once in awhile. If not, gmail and yahoo both have fairly good filters. Just setup a filter to put the mail in a folder or in the archive.

Need one more piece of help.

Any easy way to hide all the duplicate SD channels. Directv has an easy option to hide them. I don't remember if Dish did or not. If I was at her house I would figure it out myself.

If she keys the channel number in, it will go to HD version by default if its available. Maybe you could print out the channel listing for her.

a lot of ways to do it but as the op said its still not as easy as directv. its a simple setting to hide dups, i never knew it existed until i switched

I would say go to the Dish site and read the instruction manual instead of bashing Dish.... If Direct recievers are so much better have them get Direct. In the end, not showing SD is about as easy as it gets on my VIP612....

I would say go to the Dish site and read the instruction manual instead of bashing Dish.... If Direct recievers are so much better have them get Direct. In the end, not showing SD is about as easy as it gets on my VIP612....

i dont htink there is bashing, just a comparison.

can you explian how its done a 612?

Yes, it is easy to hide SD channels... (including on a 612)... hit 'guide' until 'All HD' is displayed at the top of the guide. Select a channel. Done.

HOWEVER, you will no longer see SD-only channels. The way I do it, and I agree it's a PITA, is create a 'Favorites' list. Then I simply include any channels I want (HD or SD). I then leave my guide looking at that list.

Wait a minute, you have to activate your HD yourself now? What the hell is the point of that?

Wanted to clarify a little of this. You do not have to activate HD yourself unless you are wanting the HD free-for-life promotion with no one time fee. In order to get HDFFL it must either be added at the time of the creation of a new account, or if it is an existing account, you must go to dishnetwork.com and sign up for it, and it requires 2 year agreement, autopay, AND paperless billing (must do all 3). A little side note on that is that if you cancel autopay or paperless billing, the HDFFL is removed and you are charged the $10 a month for HD. If you do not want to sign up online for that option, you can pay a one-time $99 fee to activate HDFFL on the account. This option does not require the 2 year agreement, or autopay, or paperless billing. Lastly, you can get HD by paying the $10 a month. Personally, the first two options prove cheaper, but you can still get HD the ol' fashioned way of paying the $10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts