Helping Non-residents Obtain DTV Subscriptions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mauiguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Haiku, Maui
I am not sure if I am cranky this morning, or have just had too much coffee, but I think that I have a legitimate question.

Spare me the blow torches please and I am really asking how we (or you) justify the following:

I have seen over the years where non resident folks come to this website and others asking for assistance in obtaining a subscription to DTV. They are then told to "give an address that is in the USA, or to go to another site which will sell them a subscription. Now in my mind, if say folks from Canada are not permitted to have DTV, then they would be breaking a law (albeit Canadian) if they obtained said subscription.

In addition, it would seem to me that obtaining a subscription from DTV and utilizing a false address could be considered fraud.

I know we are all vehemently against piracy and rightfully so. Piracy is against the law. Undoubtedly. But is somehow fraudulently obtaining a subscription to DTV less illegal?

Just asking. Please be easy on the fire......

I am not sure if I am cranky this morning, or have just had too much coffee, but I think that I have a legitimate question.

Spare me the blow torches please and I am really asking how we (or you) justify the following:

I have seen over the years where non resident folks come to this website and others asking for assistance in obtaining a subscription to DTV. They are then told to "give an address that is in the USA, or to go to another site which will sell them a subscription. Now in my mind, if say folks from Canada are not permitted to have DTV, then they would be breaking a law (albeit Canadian) if they obtained said subscription.

In addition, it would seem to me that obtaining a subscription from DTV and utilizing a false address could be considered fraud.

I know we are all vehemently against piracy and rightfully so. Piracy is against the law. Undoubtedly. But is somehow fraudulently obtaining a subscription to DTV less illegal?

Just asking. Please be easy on the fire......
So, it sounds like you Know the deal and all the details ...

What are you asking ?

Reactions: Broe67
Why is it permitted to encourage folks to illegally obtain DTV?
If you'd like me to quote the TOS agreement to you I can ...

I prefer to try to help people here, rather than say NO, you CAN'T do that.
If YOU do something that is illegal, thats on You , not us.

If your out of the States in an area D* doesn't service, or isn't allowed to service, thats not on us, if you ask questions about it, you'll usually get some answers, you won't get as many people offering help as you typically would.

Reactions: Broe67
The staff here doesn't encourage anyone to break the law where they live. If someone that isn't staff directs a poster in that direction, that's on them. That being said, there's no indication that Directv is concerned about a few people just over the border that get their service through alternate means.

The staff here doesn't encourage anyone to break the law where they live. If someone that isn't staff directs a poster in that direction, that's on them. That being said, there's no indication that Directv is concerned about a few people just over the border that get their service through alternate means.
That said, remember, there is nothing keeping D* from servicing those in Canada other than the Footprint, it is Canada that has the problem with it.
IF Canada had worthwhile TV providers, there wouldn't be the push for them to get D*.

Why is it permitted to encourage folks to illegally obtain DTV?
If you are talking about the case of say someone lives in Sault St. Marie, Thunder Bay, Sarnia, Windsor, Ft. Erie, etc. and have a residence on the U.S. side, but take the receiver with them over the border. Same with Mexico.

There is really nothing to stop a Satellite provider from stopping them. There are a lot of people that live over the North & South borders, that have Sirius/XM radios. Activated over here, but taken over the border.

You also have a lot of Snow birds, that are from those other countries, that may go South from Canada. Have a condo is say Fl. or Tx. If they know how to adjust the dish up North for them to get the right birds for National feeds, but would need say an AM21N for locals. It can be done.

The good thing is that those people that are in areas that can pick up Canadian or Mexican tv stations in the U.S., or U.S. residents pick up Canadian or even Mexican tv stations OTA. Nothing can stop them with using the AM21N to do that, if they know the correct Zip codes to use.

If there is a will, there is a way they say.

I'm in The South, close to the border, I know of several ppl who help with accounts for friends/family with Dish/Direct South of the Border. I've even helped some with dish equipment selection, etc.
No Account Stacking, just using a U.S. Address for billing.
I myself see nothing wrong with it, and I don't see Direct pursuing these customers or doing IRD location verification audits like dishnet used to do.
Just my 2 cents....

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts