Here Comes Amazon's Kindle TV Set-Top Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
They say the box will plug into TVs and give users access to Amazon’s expanding video offerings. Those include its à la carte Video on Demand store, which features newer films and TV shows, and its Instant Video service, which is free for subscribers to the Amazon Prime two-day shipping package. The Amazon set-top box will compete with similar products, such as the Roku, Apple TV, and the Boxee Cloud DVR, along with more versatile devices such as the Playstation 3 and the Xbox. An Amazon spokesperson declined to comment.

The set-top box is being developed by Amazon’s Lab126 division in Cupertino, Calif., which has toyed with building TV-connected devices for several years, the people familiar with the effort say. The project is being run by Malachy Moynihan, a former vice president of emerging video products at Cisco Systems (CSCO) who worked on the networking company’s various consumer video initiatives. Moynihan also spent nine years at Apple (AAPL) during the 1980s and 1990s. Among the other hardware engineers working at Lab126 with considerable experience making set-top boxes are Andy Goodman, formerly a top engineer at TiVo (TIVO) and Vudu (WMT), and Chris Coley, a former hardware architect at ReplayTV, one of Silicon Valley’s first DVR companies.

Im kinda tired of all these boxes. One thing I like about a Roku only, or PS3 only, it does most all I care about, and the PS3 plays discs.

Link

I agree I think I'll stick with my Roku. Too many boxes that kinda do the same thing. If I want Amazon I can get it on my computer which is hooked to my TV. Why would I pay for another box?

Well since my ps3 died, that may be an option. or just keep hooking my fire HD up to my TV.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/23...u-s-online-video-purchase-and-rental-markets/

This is probably why Amazon is interested in their own box. Apple with AppleTV/iPad/iPhone dominates the internet VOD and paid internet streaming (purchased movie that you stream, not like netflix subscription). If Amazon had their own "AppleTV" box they could sell more PPV and shows. Not to mention they could do streaming.

I like Apple TV a lot more than the Roku because Apple TV has local storage and allows you to FF/REW decently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts