Here is a $1000, now what TV would you buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Mom's TV went ka-put. She wants to spend around $1,000. She is hoping to get a 40+in LCD or Plasma. What do you think is the best TV for this price?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way,

pfan

40" Samsung LCD Series 5

$1299, but $888 at Circuit City, but hurry, they are closing.

I just got one, it is great, had to pick it up, but it is brand new

Depends on what type of programming she'll be watching and how well lit her viewing environment will be, but assuming she still watches a lot of shows in 4:3 aspect ratio and a well-lit setting, an LCD would probably work best. I agree with philhu on the Sammy, but I'd also look at the V and S series Sonys, which can be had for around $1000. If plasma would be a better fit, then a 42" Panansonic 80u/85u. Lucky Mom!

I assume we'll bump her DISH to HD and for the most part she watches abc, cbs, nbc, fox, and tlc. I have the Samsung LN40A550 in my bedroom and think it rocks. I think she was hoping to get something a little bigger since it's in her main living room. Sony S series is carried at her local walmart, otherwise it's the local electronics place ($$$$).

Her main living room butts out of her house so it has windows on three sides of it. Would plasma or LCD be a better fit for this? She is retired so she does watch a decent amount of programming during the daytime.

What do you think?

pfan

LCD would probably be best then, though you could get a larger plasma for that amount than a comparably sized LCD. A 50" 720p Panny plasma can be had for $1,000-$1,200 (only $928 at Amazon! [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-50PX80U-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142MUDI#"]Amazon.com: Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV: Electronics[/ame]), otherwise you're likely looking at $1,200-$1,400 to get a 46" Sammy 5 series if you are only shopping local B&M.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A550-46-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B0014175E8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233408602&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Samsung LN46A550 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics[/ame]

Samsung 46a550 for $1089 on Amazon. No tax. Free shipping.

Why shouldn't mom enjoy the best bang for the buck too? I would hate to assume mom can't handle her business. LOL

Ok, I'll admit I'm making a bad assumption here. Sorry :D

But seriously, he might move back in with mom once he sees how goood her setup looks!

$1000 is really pushing it for a FP system. You also need a sound system if you are going to put in FP. But, if you already have the sound system FP is a great choice if you have the proper viewing room.

The Panny Plasma option is what I would go with if FP did not work.

Hey pfan1981, I think it would be better if you check the LCD TV Ratings of various brands. The expert reviews can help you get acquainted about certain products. That would make your choice much easier.

Good luck.

The Panny 50" Plasma can be had all over the place under $1000, it's what I have in my office. I've recommended it to several people who subsequently purchased it and everyone raves about it. the 480Hz sub-field eliminates motion blur with great black level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts