here is some proof that V* and D* may be related or blood brothers.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
From Forbes article,

Cablevision (CVC ) is closing 26 of its 53 Nobody Beats the Wiz consumer-electronics stores in the New York City area, and the outfit said on Nov. 4 that it would unload its Bravo cable channel to NBC for $1.25 billion. But that's just the warm-up. In a few weeks, the Dolans will have a day of reckoning with the Jaws of the media world: Rupert Murdoch. And the result isn't likely to be pretty.

Murdoch's News Corp. (NWS ) and Cablevision have been partners since December, 1997, when they pooled their assets to create Rainbow Media Sports Holdings. Rainbow owns Madison Square Garden, the New York Knicks basketball and Rangers hockey teams, and, most important, regional cable-sports networks in Ohio, New England, San Francisco, and Florida. Now, just when the Dolans are at their most vulnerable, Murdoch wants to undo the deal -- and take $1 billion for his trouble.

STAND AND DELIVER. It has all the makings of an interesting negotiation. As part of that agreement, Murdoch has the right to "put" his 40% stake in Rainbow Media Sports back in the Dolans' hands by December 18, 2002. The Dolans can either buy out News Corp.'s 40% stake in the channels or initiate a public offering and allow Murdoch to get his money that way.

With cash dwindling, the Dolans aren't in any position to give Murdoch back the dough. Their recent deal passing Bravo to NBC provided Cablevision with stock in the network's parent, General Electric (GE ) and the return of some 53.2 million Cablevision shares that GE owned. What little cash pact entailed, around $250 million, went to Bravo's 20% owner, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer MGM ).

So where will the father-son team come up with the scratch? They could give the channels outright to Murdoch. Clearly, that's what the News Corp. CEO wants. "The regional-sports networks would certainly have to be part of the mix," Murdoch said in a conference call with investors on Nov. 5. "We've already had the beginnings of talks with them. But they have other things on their mind."

ON A ROLL. It all sounds very genteel, with Murdoch allowing that his company is "hoping we can come to some friendly arrangement with an exchange of assets, which would be beneficial to both parties." But anyone who knows Murdoch has to be aware of the iron will behind those soft-spoken comments.

And Murdoch has been on a roll lately. Buttressed by a stronger-than-anticipated advertising market, News Corp. on Nov. 6 reported $162 million in net profits, more than double last year's $73 million. That has helped him put together the cash stake of more than $3 billion he'll presumably use for another run at the DirecTV satellite service.

Whatever "friendly arrangement" Murdoch is contemplating with the Dolans will be a lot friendlier to the guys on the Australian mogul's side of the table. He's likely to end up with a lot more than $1 billion worth of assets for the $850 million he put into the venture back in 1997. Why? Because of the way the deal was structured, Cablevision contributed Madison Square Garden, the Knicks, Rangers, and all those cable channels for a 60% stake :D

This has what to do with equating Voom and DirecTV. That's like saying Martha Stewart is in control of Voom because a Dolan wife purchased a copy of her magazine. Two completely separate business interests.

From what my buisiness buddy says. ( I am not into the stock thing).
Both newscorp (d*) and cablevision (V*) have a joint interest in Fox sports and other channels. And Murdock had or has some kind of stock holdings in Cablevision. My buddy said Murdoch invested in Cablevison in some kinda minority way back right after he bought Sky satellite of Europe. It was before he made offer for D* from G.Motors as he origanly was interested in cablevision as a new DBS player to go against D* and E*.
The only thing he does not know is if Murdock dumped his interest in cablevision when he make the play for D*>

So I think for people that are getting into Voom to lay the smack down on there hatred for D* they may be in some small way still contributing to D*'s owner.

The same argument can be said for people hating e* and going voom.When E* controls the Satellite V uses.

Not any kinda big deal. Just food for thought!

iceshark said:
The same argument can be said for people hating e* and going voom.When E* controls the Satellite V uses.

Echostar/Dish DOES NOT OWN the sat that Voom uses. Nor does E* lease transponder space to V* from the sat that E* uses.

Newscop owns a minority interest in CSC corporation. It is a subsidiary of the Cablvision (CVC) corperation.

Newscorp holds no equity stake in the holdings of CVC. CVC largest owners are the Dolans, Comcast and Gabelli ( of Gabelli Asset management) Goldman & Janus own a bunch but a lot of these share are also insider share.

MGM bought their way out last year.
News Corp may exercise its put and get outthis time around. It didn't last time. But it indicated it was strongly considering it.

mkm4 said:
Echostar/Dish DOES NOT OWN the sat that Voom uses. Nor does E* lease transponder space to V* from the sat that E* uses.

Your incorrect go to lychsat.com and you will see that Rainbow 1 is just leased transponders from good old Charlie E. Dishnet sat at 61.5%

If you search some of these forums you will see that dish could dump V* starz paks ect becuase of lease on there Satellite.

No two satellites can sit at same place on clark belt in space. There must be at least 3degree spacing of each. For more info to to lynchsat and see for yourself. Voom does not own there own satellite.

rtt2 said:
Newscop owns a minority interest in CSC corporation. It is a subsidiary of the Cablvision (CVC) corperation.

Newscorp holds no equity stake in the holdings of CVC. CVC largest owners are the Dolans, Comcast and Gabelli ( of Gabelli Asset management) Goldman & Janus own a bunch but a lot of these share are also insider share.

MGM bought their way out last year.
News Corp may exercise its put and get outthis time around. It didn't last time. But it indicated it was strongly considering it.

Exactly! blood brothers in a way.....
Connect the dots.

Just a point that some of these players are playing some of the same field.
Not a big deal for me. Just to those DAVE Haters!

iceshark said:
Your incorrect go to lychsat.com and you will see that Rainbow 1 is just leased transponders from good old Charlie E. Dishnet sat at 61.5%

If you search some of these forums you will see that dish could dump V* starz paks ect becuase of lease on there Satellite.

No two satellites can sit at same place on clark belt in space. There must be at least 3degree spacing of each. For more info to to lynchsat and see for yourself. Voom does not own there own satellite.

Sorry, Maybe I should have checked lyngsat first. You are correct. they are two different Birds. However I clearly have read that dish has something to do with Voom being able to get certain channels like starzpak and others.
Sorry for the confusion!

Tvlman said:
ICESHARK: What is the source of the article? Date or issue of Forbes article please.

Ya know I just did a search for newscorp and cablevisison together on Yahoo and came up with couple year old article. I saw a buddy on dbstalk.com forum get slammed for saying he swithced to V to get away from E cause he hates murdoch. A mod on that site was all over him saying that newscorp had its hand in the past in cablevison and explained in depth what he meant by it.

iceshark said:
Sorry, Maybe I should have checked lyngsat first. You are correct. they are two different Birds. However I clearly have read that dish has something to do with Voom being able to get certain channels like starzpak and others.
Sorry for the confusion!

There are a few transponders frequencies that are not owned by anyone. Thee FCC was letting Echostar use them, but the FCC is now letting Voom use them. That might be where your confusion is coming from.

When E* was using them they were transmitted from E* sat, but now that V* is using them they are being transmitted from V*'s sat.

And as you've probably already seen at LyngSat, there are many instances where multiple sats are at the same orbital location.

mkm4 said:
There are a few transponders frequencies that are not owned by anyone. Thee FCC was letting Echostar use them, but the FCC is now letting Voom use them. That might be where your confusion is coming from.

When E* was using them they were transmitted from E* sat, but now that V* is using them they are being transmitted from V*'s sat.

And as you've probably already seen at LyngSat, there are many instances where multiple sats are at the same orbital location.

Yea my bad!. When i ran my cband shop 10 years ago there was a fcc rule that sats could not be closer then 3 degrees apart (approx 150 miles) in orbit.
BOY have things changed. Newer stronger Ku birds that dont drift as much I guess.!

slacker9876 said:
I was reading this page http://www.lyngsat.com/61west.html and it looks like 1 bird to me ... otherwise why all the shared freqs?

If you look closely, there is a listing that is titled "EchoStar 3 & Rainbow 1 at 61.5°W",(note the & in the title), their is another listing for "EchoStar 3 at 61.5°W" and another listing for "Rainbow 1 at 61.5°W".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts