Here is the requirements for the free Upgrade to Mpeg4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hdtvtechno said:
call customer install support 888-355-7530 and ask to speak with an supervisor

No go, she wont sell it to me which is dumb because the HD is starting tomorrow.

I asked her why they wouldn't give it to me, she said it's based on zip code. Well there goes 30 minutes of my life i wasted ahh well live and learn.

Boston HD trouble

I just got off the phone with CS and she said turn to channel 7 to see if we can fix the problem. I said what do you mean I want the new rec. and dish to pick up HD locals. She said no I can fix it over the phone with your current rec. I told her I was at work and she proceed to tell me to call back and they will fix the channel for me. I am missing something? I can't wait to get home and just demand my new rec. I hate when you get CS people that don't know anything :mad:

Last edited:
I just called Directv to upgrade to local HD and was told it was $99, no matter what I said. I quallify according to the OP requirements.

GAGeek said:
Mercury, what number did you call at D* to get that deal?

The number for the free upgrade is 888-355 7530. No need to go through the number for CSR on their website.

My experience

I called this morning to the install phone number. It appears there is A LOT of confusion. I got it almost for free (I still had to fork out $14.95 for shipping, but didn't feel like argueing about it), but she had to get supervisor approval to give me the $99 credit on my bill after the $99 charge.

As of 10 am EST, they indicated that their systems still wouldn't let them order everything for the HD upgrade, she indicated that they are setting appointments one week out due to high demand (live in the DC area). She was able to set up an install appointment for me next Wensday, but indicated the order couldn't be totally completed until their systems were updated. We'll see what happens, won't be surprised if I get a call telling me the appointment has changed or if I'm billed $113.99 without the $99 credit.

Just called retention. told them what I was reading and was told don't belive everything you read, BUT, because I was a loyal customer (since 1995) I would not be charged. Install scheduled for tues. Rep also said mid 2006 for media and dvr upgrade.

Got My Stuff

All set got the right person on the phone and my dish and rec. are coming Friday for install:) Now all they need to do is add TNT HD, Starz HD, Cinemax HD and the Celtics in HD ha ha that will be a while unfortunately.

Called today for upgrade in Boston

I called DTV to get upgrade and they had it in there system but they they kept telling me that I need to pay a $99 fee for the new dish and $14.95 for Shipping. From what I read in this post this is not correct but they kept on insisting that this was the cost. Is this true and if not who do I need to call? Any info would be great.

A couple of years ago "D" forced a decision on us to choose between our locals and the Distant networks. I chose the NY/LA stations because they were in HD. Now it appears, baed upon the five criteria for free upgrade that "D" shot me in the foot.

I have not spoken to anyone about this at "D" so I have no idea what their reaction may be.

Third time is a charm...

First time: $99 but $49 credit. I would have taken this, but I was miffed about not getting a free upgrade for being a current HD subscriber.

Second time: on hold for 30 minutes. Hung up.

Third time: $99 but $99 credit since I told them that I thought that current subscribers would be getting the upgrade for free.

I Finally got through for Boston upgrade

I called earlier and was told I would need to pay $99 for new dish and install. Told her it was not correct and quoted some stuff from this post she recheck and still said the same thing. She said she would transfer me to Install Tech Support. I got disconected. Called back and got a nother rep and she was very informed and I was updated for free and are scheduled for install next Friday. I currently have 2 HD rec. and the first was free and then she went on this speal about the second rec. is $199 with a $100 credit but she would wave the $199 this time so I got it for free. I should have got it anyway for free it was not like she did me a favor.

I am having a hard time getting excited about this Upgrade. It will be great to get more HD programing but the backwards move to a H-20 receiver and it's lack of features has me concerned. By going from my Hughes HTL-HD to the H-20, I will loose the following features which I now enjoy.

1. The nice lighted remote of the HTL-HD.

2. The ability to receive the analog locals that D* doesn't provide.

3. The ability to control my VCR from the HTL-HD and never have to program the VCR.

4. The Panorama mode of the HTL-HD, for viewing 4x3 broadcasts. Will have to go back to looking at short fat people again, using the stretched mode, or loosing part of the screen with the Pillar mode, which most TV manufacturers tell you not to use, as it burns into the screen.

5. The H-20 has only an OTA input and no loop to go to the VCR with, like the HTL-HD does.

6. They are going to give me 4 HD local signals. I currently get 29 HD and digital signals with my OTA antenna.

I guess this can be called an UPGRADE but for me I will hate loosing all these great features I now have.

Last edited:
lou_do said:
6. They are going to give me 4 HD local signals. I currently get 29 HD and digital signals with my OTA antenna. I guess this can be called an UPGRADE but for me I will hate loosing all these great features I now have.

I agree that the current DirecTV MPEG4 receivers are a step back of sorts, but after reading the user guide, wht can't you still get the remaining OTA digitals and HD past the 4 big networks?

charper1 said:
I agree that the current DirecTV MPEG4 receivers are a step back of sorts, but after reading the user guide, wht can't you still get the remaining OTA digitals and HD past the 4 big networks?

It looks like you can get the digitals & HDs, just not the analog ones. My point was, I will only be getting 4 from the satellite, of the 29 I now get. Guess that was kind of out of text from the rest of my reasons.

30 days?

Could someone explain the logic of this part of the policy?
#2 Must have an Mpeg2 HD receiver activated for a least 30+ days before your local market launches on Directv.
What is the difference between someone who activated 31 days before the local market launched and someone whose equipment was basically obsolete within 30 days of when it was purchased? I can understand helping long standing customers, but the HD locals in Chicago were activated the same day my DTV system was installed (November 22). Why don't I get the upgrade for free? Why was I sent the old dish and receiver?

willfine said:
but the HD locals in Chicago were activated the same day my DTV system was installed (November 22). Why don't I get the upgrade for free? Why was I sent the old dish and receiver?

You should off mentioned that to the APex installer when he brought the stuff
should of mentioned that you wanted the H20 and 5 LNB dish up front

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)