Here we go again, Hearst tv group is gone

Will Dish send a free ota adapter? I been with them for 25 years
Yes they will as a package which contains the Dual OTA Tuner & Indoor Antenna. This was an e-mail from April 27, 2019. In April 2023, I had them ship me the package for free and did my own installation and I kept paying for locals.

1694455107827.png

Gave dish a call told me nope to far away. I know I can get my locals with the indoor antenna I use to have one. They said I can order it from the web site no thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
I have always believed that if broadcast stations are available for free ota the SAT and cable distributers should be allowed to distribute those channels in the broadcast area, at their expense, without any charge. Perhaps the broadcasters should start paying for access to the public airwaves.
Yeah or maybe pay each of us for their signal trespassing on our property

With DISH and my Fox has been out since February. I get it reasonably good with my 14 foot Winegard HD8200. I don’t think they’re even negotiating anymore. I assume they’re asking for a King’s Ransom like most of the stations do these days. My advice- get an outdoor antenna designed to pick up that station.

25 years ago when this happened, my memory was that the dropped station/network was replaced was a close by station carrying the same network - is there some reason this is no longer allowed? simple replacement of the network would be a nice concession. Looks like when it got close to ratings period it would scare the company owning the station into cooperating in some way.

25 years ago when this happened, my memory was that the dropped station/network was replaced was a close by station carrying the same network - is there some reason this is no longer allowed? simple replacement of the network would be a nice concession. Looks like when it got close to ratings period it would scare the company owning the station into cooperating in some way.
Legally they can't unless it follows the situation that your market doesn't have a particular network licensed in the market and they import one and that gets pulled

Example...my market (Mankato, MN) we only have CBS, NBC and FOX in the market. There is no ABC licensed to the market so we get KSTP Minneapolis. If Hubbard Broadcasting (owner of all licensed ABC's in MN...Minneapolis, Rochester and Duluth, MN) gets pulled then Directv/Dish would import a different ABC for the time being. They are allowed to do that.

They can't import a different station just because your local is in a pissing match with Dish/Directv.

addition: before we got a NBC a couple years ago we had KARE 11 Minneapolis. When Tegna and Directv got in a pissing match they switched our NBC. I forget who it was (might have been Rochester, MN it was Des Moines per my older posts)

Last edited:
They can't import a different station just because your local is in a pissing match with Dish/Directv.
Time Warner in the early '10s did it with some NBC affiliates they were in disputes with, they put my affiliate WBRE in place of those affiliates

Time Warner in the early '10s did it with some NBC affiliates they were in disputes with, they put my affiliate WBRE in place of those affiliates

satellite has different rules but you are referring to something over 10 years ago. Things change and if you read the article they did it illegally
A statement issued Thursday from Nexstar Broadcasting Group said Time Warner didn’t have permission to use the WBRE signal. The Irving, Texas-based company said it would pursue all legal and regulatory means to stop Time Warner from broadcasting WBRE in Winston-Salem.

My brother is completely out of luck with getting an OTA antenna to watch ABC and CW that are owned by Hearst. He lives in a valley with a very nice creek. The hills around would require a 100'+ tower to get these stations.

With DISH and my Fox has been out since February. I get it reasonably good with my 14 foot Winegard HD8200. I don’t think they’re even negotiating anymore. I assume they’re asking for a King’s Ransom like most of the stations do these days. My advice- get an outdoor antenna designed to pick up that station.
Good luck with the antenna, just about all my locals will freeze, break up and all of them have good signal strength (90-97% according to hopper) I don't know if by passing hopper and going directly to TV would be any better or not

Good luck with the antenna, just about all my locals will freeze, break up and all of them have good signal strength (90-97% according to hopper) I don't know if by passing hopper and going directly to TV would be any better or not
Step one in troubleshooting should be sending the antenna feed to your TV (or other receiver). More than likely, TV reception will be fine.

TOO much signal could disrupt the receiver. Dish's tuners seem to be more sensitive than other tuners.

Just did an online chat with Dish voicing my frustration, As, a side note have also contacted Hearst. I did get a one-time $30 credit to my account but would much prefer my local back.