Here's my setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nosok12

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I have an installer coming out in 3 weeks. I will be recieving 1 HR-20, 2 H-20's, & 1 standard. So I have a 4 room setup. I get no locals where I'm at 51106. I live 11 miles from the digital towers. I will need an OTA antenna. I currently have a radio shack vhf/uhf 80 inch boom antenna. I would like to mount this antenna in my attic if possible. With the new 5 lnb dish can I run my OTA antenna through my current cable throughout the house? Will D* run new cable for the dish to each reciever? Any thoughts or advice on what I need to do? I can't wait to football season!

Thanks
Paul

The installer will run all new cable for your receivers if you insist on it. Just remember that things like wall fishing is considered custom labor and you should be prepared to pay extra for that.

Cable internet

What will they do so that I can keep my cable internet?

It sounds like you're running your OTA and cable modem through your existing wires. If that is the case, I would encourage you to make the installer run all new cabling for your D* system and not let them touch your existing cabling. Trust me, it will save you (and him) a lot of headaches & problems in the long run.

I may be wrong, but with the way the new 5 LNB dishes are setup (freq use), I don't think you can diplex/piggyback OTA like "back in the day". Again, this is my understanding; I use a separate RG6 run for OTA anyway as my longstanding pref. and can't back that up with firsthand knowledge.

Is this true. So I need 3 separate lines to all three HD recievers?

Yes you can not couple OTA with the 5 LNB dish because of the Ka signal conflict that will be coming from the new sat D10. So you have to run a separate line for OTA and 2 for Directv if you are doing a DVR. The SWM or single wire multiswitch that is planning on coming if the fall will combine on one wire but that is not publicly available yet.

I have 5 rooms, 7 receivers and the AT-9 5LNB dish, I also have a roof top OTA antenna and Broadband.

You really have to think if each of these as separate systems at this point. At this time they are just not compatible.

I had the D* installer run the new additional coax from the dish and install the new multiswitch. Hooked up only the main room to make sure everything worked, then added additional rooms my self.

The Broadband and the OTA coax's run through the same access hole in the house then broadband to the modem in the basement and the OTA coax to a distribution block.

It makes for a real rats nest of cables but, one of these days I'm finally going to build that distribution center I've been thinking about for the last 5 years.

So I need to run 3 separate coax lines from my OTA antenna which is in the attic to the hd recievers. What kind of multiswitch or splitter can I use from the antenna coax? Can someone paint me a picture of what this will look like? Thanks again for everyones input, I greatly appreciate it.

Paul

I'm going to run my cable modem and OTA antenna through my current coax throughout the house. I'm going to have D* install rg6 cable to my 4 recievers. I know I will need 2 cables to run my HR20.They can get to all of my recievers through the basement. Does this look alright? I also order the 6x8 multiswitch. What do they use that for?

Only 3 weeks until installation.
Thanks again
Paul

I'm going to run my cable modem and OTA antenna through my current coax throughout the house. I'm going to have D* install rg6 cable to my 4 recievers. I know I will need 2 cables to run my HR20.They can get to all of my recievers through the basement. Does this look alright? I also order the 6x8 multiswitch. What do they use that for?

Only 3 weeks until installation.
Thanks again
Paul

Since the dish only has 4 output connections, and you have more than 4 inputs (DVR counts as two), the multiswitch allows you to receive programming on up to 8 or 16 lines, depending upon model.

Thanks IWC! Does my setup look like it will work? Also do you have a choice between the h20-100 or h20-600? I really would like a quality OTA unit. Which one would fit my needs?

Paul

Thanks IWC! Does my setup look like it will work? Also do you have a choice between the h20-100 or h20-600? I really would like a quality OTA unit. Which one would fit my needs?

Paul

As far as your current setup, it should work from what you've said here. As to the H20's, it won't matter because there is no way to specify which manufacturer you're going to get.

I have no clue about OTA, because I don't use one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)