Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone know much about HEVC high-efficiency video coding (H.265)? Looks like its going to be a 50% improvement over H.264. HD only 5Mbps :D

The problem with re-inventing the wheel is you end up with a yard full of perfectly good vehicles with wheels you can't use :(

can you say compression compression compression , there will always be trade offs smaller size for processing delay time,
so yes gain smaller files but require more processing power / speed or is it more processing power for encoding uplinking

I don't think the H.265 standard is to go into effect til next year

Last edited:
Why not VP8? It's, so far, royalty free. Think it's going to be who's got the "best salesman" before DVB.org. Might we have both, H.265 and VP8, added to the existing DVB specification (mpeg and H.264)?
Any way it goes, I think, it will require 'more capable' hardware to 'keep up' with the demands of encoding/decoding. In the end it will be cost vs. benefit that will influence which is adopted by a majority of those implementing any 'upgrades' in the future, if either is adopted. (JMHO)

Anyone know much about HEVC high-efficiency video coding (H.265)? Looks like its going to be a 50% improvement over H.264. HD only 5Mbps

Passable HD at 5 Mbps. I think it'll still need to be at least 10 Mbps before I consider it good HD.

H.264 still needs at least 20 Mbps to be 'flawless'. So a 5 Mbps HEVC feed won't be that special; it'll be like a 10 Mbps H.264 feed. The good news is, however, passable HD is a huge improvement over SD and this might encourage some of the SD channels broadcasting @ 5 Mbps to finally upgrade their sh*t and come on board with 1080i HEVC feeds at the same bitrate they were doing crappy old SD MPEG-2 at.

Why not VP8? It's, so far, royalty free.

It's because VP8 sucks.

Don't care about royalties. I care about picture quality.

H.264 is already a lot better than VP8 in the quality department and I'm sure HEVC will stomp all over it.

There's no point for uplinkers to switch to HEVC unless they really need to conserve transponder space. It'll cost them a lot of money to invest in HEVC encoders when many don't even have H.264 yet.

I could see some adopting HEVC in order to save money on renting transponder bandwidth in the long run.

Status
Please reply by conversation.