Hey check this out about phone lines

Status
Please reply by conversation.
phone line

i only keep the phone line connected for the caller id, if that ever stops working
i'll unplug it, or if i get voip that doesn't work with the box then i'll unplug it,
if i find out that directv is tracking me though the phone line then i will unplug it.
on the directv web site if you go into my acct. it will give you a choice not to collect
any information,i checked that box and i expect directv to honer it.if anyone can prove that direct is is collecting information on me after checking that box let me know.

It is old news, May 2006, but who cares. I don't care if D* knows what and when I watch anything. If they want to know I would be willing to send them a minute by minute schedule of what and when I watch anything and the amount of time I fast forward past the commercials. I'm not ashamed of the programs I watch, nor do I care who knows what I watch.

How do they collect info on the "Whats Hot" thingy if they're not collecting it through phone lines?

It is old news, May 2006, but who cares. I don't care if D* knows what and when I watch anything. If they want to know I would be willing to send them a minute by minute schedule of what and when I watch anything and the amount of time I fast forward past the commercials. I'm not ashamed of the programs I watch, nor do I care who knows what I watch.

That's not the issue as I see it. D* is selling my information to almost anyone who wants to buy it. Viewing habits are critical for advertisers, who now don't have to search so far for their information.

WHen D* starts nickel and diming us, and then goes out and sells our information, then I do have a problem. The rising cost of things like Sunday Ticket, and the requirement to pay another $99 for superfan so that I can see the games I want in HD, when I'm already paying a premium for HD service and then to sell my info on top of it, really makes me mad. That's why I don't have the phone line that's there connected. I don't need it, they don't need it and if I want caller ID I'll look at my phone.

Try Being A DTv Tech making 300.00 dollars per check and having your company take 150.00 to 200.00 dollars away from you when you dont hook up a phone line. And customers wonder why they get crappy installs and service calls.

Your Friendly Neighborhood DTv Tech.
See You On Your Next Service Call

jgo1973,
Is that what the phone deal comes to?
I told DirectSatUSA I would like to see the phone requirement on their contract. How can you offer the performance of a third party,the cx? Anyhow,thery sent no text. I'm suing one of their subs over this and a lost box issue. Should be interesting.
After the trial I'm getting out. Seen enough.

Joe

Try Being A DTv Tech making 300.00 dollars per check and having your company take 150.00 to 200.00 dollars away from you when you dont hook up a phone line. And customers wonder why they get crappy installs and service calls.

Your Friendly Neighborhood DTv Tech.
See You On Your Next Service Call

it's your choice to keep working for a company that treats you like
that.but if you give me a crappy service call, you got another problem.
me,and a complaint to to dtv (and your company if differant)
so after your deductions you could make more at a fast food resturant.
it's my choice for a phone line not yours.

This is why I have friends and family of former installs calling me at my shop to do a service call for them. They are killing the HSP techs and the guys who know their stuff are getting out of the business, or going to retailers. There is no money to be made as an HSP tech anymore. So you are gonna get a new guy fresh in from BK, who thinks working 50 hours a week for $550 is a great job, then quit once they make it $450 a week with the next set of chargeback offenses. Directv needs to crack down on these HSPs and fix a few of their own policies, because eventually having a better product won't mean smack if the customers can get it upgraded, installed, or serviced right.

Installing the telephone line is part of the standard installation, it has been since we started doing DBS installations all the way back to 1994.

Directv used to enforce this rule very heavly until around 1999 when they started slacking off on it, and Dish didn't start until around 2003 when they came out with Dual Tuner receivers that penalized the customer for not connecting it up.

Both Directv and DISH Network have asked the dealers and installers nicely over the years to start connecting them up, but nouthing has ever worked!

With Dish its simple, connect the phone line or try to explain to the customer that they are going to pay an extra $5/mo. Most installers don't want to risk loosing the entire Job and just hook up the phone lines.

With Directv, hook it up or get a $5 reduction per receiver on your pay!

Sure the installers do not like it, but they are the only point of actual contact for the customers.

The installers got a choice, do it for Free or charge the customer!

I know alot of guys who will go out and do a standard DBS install and come back with an additional $200 they made from Extras they charged the customer for additional items like phone lines, surge protectors, television calibration and even computer networking.

If you sell it right you can get the extra money, but it does require alot of effort. Its like I remember the sales pitch for selling panamax surge protectors....

The first thing you do when you walk in a customers home is ask them where their surge protector is. When they say they do not have one you "let" the customer use yours for the duration of the installation as your hooking up your equipment. At the end of the install, you ask the customer if they would like to purchase the surge protector and when they say NO, you then pull out this stamp that says they are "Declining" the warranty and then you disconnect the surge protector from the satellite receiver and make the customer plug it in themselves saying you will not plug it in because you will not be responcible for connecting the receiver without the surge protector.

About 80% of the time you sold a surge protector!

The fact of the matter is that a typical installer doesn't have time for games, they want to hurry up and get the Job done so they can get to their next one.

Claude,
I'll get back to you on this one, I am suing an installation company for unpaid invoices. One of the things I am going to present to the judge is the phone deal. First, they didn't include it in their contract. Second, it asks the installer to be responsible for the performance of a third party............Dtv rightly says the phone connection is part of the basic installation but if the customer declines this FREE offering that should end it. The HSP folks use it for pocket change.
What it comes to is, like all horses and dogs, you can beat them to make them move and stop feeding to cut costs. Eventually they die. Then you have to pull the wagon and get the birds out of the ice.
Last year I made more money repairing phones than installing DTV rigs. Next year will have even less DTV work.
I liked the surge protector presentation.

Joe

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)