Hey Dish even TiVo has a skip mode!

Tivo does not have contracts with the channels. Thus can put in a skip mode. DISH has to sign contracts with the channels, and those channels prohibit skip mode... even PTAT now is now 7 days instead of next day.

You will not see a skip mode from DISH or DIRECTV.

Everyone has their opinion and I have noticed that you always have yours!
What exactly was your reason for posting ? Just to state your opinion ? Sorry if I responded in your personal, only-agreeable-posts-allowed thread....

Facts are that a) how Dish has to operate is vastly different than TiVo. You seem to think since they both make DVRs, they can operate identically. More than a few people explained this to you in this thread as well; b) this is old news ... TiVo introduced this a couple of months ago. There have been threads about this already with the same explanations as to why TiVo can do this and Dish can't.

Reactions: osu1991 and dare2be
I certainly agree that Dish knows what it is doing. But WE don't know what Dish is doing. For instance, who ever dreamed of PTAT and Auto Hop before Dish offered it? The programming issue that Dish has that TIVO does not makes perfect sense however, Dish has pissed off the networks before. I can see Charlie doing it again. It would not surprise me to see him Auto Hop his top 20 channels. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

What exactly was your reason for posting ? Just to state your opinion ? Sorry if I responded in your personal, only-agreeable-posts-allowed thread....

Facts are that a) how Dish has to operate is vastly different than TiVo. You seem to think since they both make DVRs, they can operate identically. More than a few people explained this to you in this thread as well; b) this is old news ... TiVo introduced this a couple of months ago. There have been threads about this already with the same explanations as to why TiVo can do this and Dish can't.

See, you proved my point!

There are probably many who would wonder why DISH doesn't have a skip mode like Tivo has for many shows, just about instantly available. Now that the reasons have been given that probably would explain why to those who wondered.

There are probably many who would wonder why DISH doesn't have a skip mode like Tivo has for many shows, just about instantly available. Now that the reasons have been given that probably would explain why to those who wondered.
Operative word there: probably.

Reactions: Tampa8
What is really sad is, some of us are complaining over the fact that we have to press a button three or four times to skip a commercial. Not too long ago, we actually HAD to watch them live, or watch a videotaped version and "fast forward" through them. Not long before that, most of us actually had to get up off our a$$ and change the channel on TV itself, :)

Last edited:
That's different though... My OPINION on this type of thing is 'you can't miss what you never had' - the opposite holds true as well. Before we got a DVR, yes, we had to watch commercials (or run to the bathroom or do something during those breaks). After we got a DVR, we could manually skip commercials. Later, with Autohop, you just sit your lazy ass on the sofa and let the DVR skip them for you !! :p Take any of those away and it's a step backwards.

For me, I don't watch that much big-4 network programming so I didn't get much use from Autohop anyway. My wife and kids may have used it but if it didn't work (or stopped working), they just shrugged their shoulders and, ready.... wait for it.... they pushed the 30-second skip button a few times !! The most relieving part is, their life wasn't impacted negatively in any way with them having to do this.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That's different though... My OPINION on this type of thing is 'you can't miss what you never had' - the opposite holds true as well. Before we got a DVR, yes, we had to watch commercials (or run to the bathroom or do something during those breaks). After we got a DVR, we could manually skip commercials. Later, with Autohop, you just sit your lazy ass on the sofa and let the DVR skip them for you !!Take any of those away and it's a step backwards.

For me, I don't watch that much big-4 network programming so I didn't get much use from Autohop anyway. My wife and kids may have used it but if it didn't work (or stopped working), they just shrugged their shoulders and, ready.... wait for it.... they pushed the 30-second skip button a few times !! The most relieving part is, their life wasn't impacted negatively in any way with them having to do this.
I had it now miss it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: david_jr and Tampa8
Whenever you give somebody something then take it away, we got a problem Lucy. Human nature. If you promote Auto Hop as a selling tool, then take it away because it was really designed as a marketing chip, then I was duped. Doesn't matter if it's true, doesn't matter if at some point you mentioned that it was a negotiating tool. What matters is how I feel. Duped, taken advantage of, whatever you want to call it.

And Charlie/Dish can say, "don't blame us, blame ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC - they made us take it away from you". That will work for 99% of Dish customers too because they know nothing about Charlie indicating this was a negotiating tool all along.

Reactions: dare2be
And Charlie/Dish can say, "don't blame us, blame ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC - they made us take it away from you". That will work for 99% of Dish customers too because they know nothing about Charlie indicating this was a negotiating tool all along.
Still, even as a "negotiating" tool, it was contentious enough to invoke lawsuits from the networks. So in that case, we CAN blame the networks for their overzealous resistance to the feature.

It's not gone, you just have to wait up to 7 days from the recording date depending on the network to use it. That one feature doesn't seem realistic to be the main reason one picks a tv provider, not to mention it is just on the big four broadcast networks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)