Hey Dishnetwork, heres a clue!!!!

Winged Wheels said:
Check your dictionary "sick" is the alternate spelling of "sic" - cut the world a break?
Your dictionary is broken.

sic is
1) chiefly Scottish variant of SUCH
2) alteration of seek
1 : CHASE, ATTACK -- usually used as a command especially to a dog <sic 'em>
2 : to incite or urge to an attack, pursuit, or harassment : SET
3) so, thus -- : intentionally so written -- used after a printed word or passage to indicate that it is intended exactly as printed or to indicate that it exactly reproduces an original <said he seed [sic] it all>

Sick is an entirely different word.

JL

GaryPen said:
According to USA Today, Walla Walla, Washington is the most fun to say of all the places in the world, followed by Pago Pago, Zimbabwe, and Kuala Lampur.
What!? :confused: How could they miss Lake Titicaca? (see here for Animaniacs lyrics)

Oh, yeah, what was this thread about again?

long_time_DNC said:
If that's true and E* doesn't implement their MPEG-4 plan at about the same time, the highe-end customers are going to move to D* rather rapidly.

Hell, E* can;t even make a stable multi-tuner DVR especially in HD so I am moving to D* as soon as they start shipping this stuff.

justalurker said:
Your dictionary is broken.

sic is
1) chiefly Scottish variant of SUCH
2) alteration of seek
1 : CHASE, ATTACK -- usually used as a command especially to a dog <sic 'em>
2 : to incite or urge to an attack, pursuit, or harassment : SET
3) so, thus -- : intentionally so written -- used after a printed word or passage to indicate that it is intended exactly as printed or to indicate that it exactly reproduces an original <said he seed [sic] it all>

Sick is an entirely different word.

JL

NOT SO! Unless the meaning has changed since 1991!

Webster's New World Dictionary - Third College Edition C. 1991

SICK, 2nd definition. "(sik) vt. alt. sp. of SIC2" referencing second definition of SIC "(sik) vt. sicked, sick'ing [[var. of SEEK]] 1 to set upon; pursue and attack: said esp. of or to a dog 2 to urge or insite to attack [to sic a dog on somone].

Thus, the definition of the word SICK includes in its less common use (second definition) the meaning of SIC! Have a Nice Day.

Winged Wheels said:
NOT SO! Unless the meaning has changed since 1991!

Webster's New World Dictionary - Third College Edition C. 1991

SICK, 2nd definition. "(sik) vt. alt. sp. of SIC2" referencing second definition of SIC "(sik) vt. sicked, sick'ing [[var. of SEEK]] 1 to set upon; pursue and attack: said esp. of or to a dog 2 to urge or insite to attack [to sic a dog on somone].

Thus, the definition of the word SICK includes in its less common use (second definition) the meaning of SIC! Have a Nice Day.
I use the Merriam Webster Collegiate, 10th Ed.
Sick is listed only as an adj., sickly is the adv., 5 meanings and variants. A variant alternate spelling is almost! acceptable.

I have never had problems with the MW including a lot of technical words. I know you can have problem with the American Heritage, original ed., because I based a spell check (c. 1984) on the official Lab dictionary and it failed to have "hotly" (15c), which was corrected in later editions, and I had to do bit of search on that one. The WNWD seems to be heavily sold but never as authoritative as MWD. (Webster is now a legal synonym for dictionary so anybody can use it.) For what this all is worth. The words are incite and someone.

That reminds of other homonym problems: cite, sight, site; seen today:incite, insight, in site; knew, new; your, you're.
And these homonym/misspellings: know, no, now; where, were, we're

what i really hate is the lack of punctuation and capitalization it makes hard to understand what their saying doesnt it drive u crazy i know it drives me crazy why cant they take the time to check the spelling use capitals and an occasional comma or period

GaryPen said:
According to USA Today, Walla Walla, Washington is the most fun to say of all the places in the world, followed by Pago Pago, Zimbabwe, and Kuala Lampur.

I don't know...... Saying Middlesex, NJ always makes me giggle.....

Stargazer said:
When is the new AMC satellite going to finally get to 105?

Haha the rate its going, next century :) They appear to be testing it at various locations before its final resting point at 105.

GaryPen said:
what i really hate is the lack of punctuation and capitalization it makes hard to understand what their saying doesnt it drive u crazy i know it drives me crazy why cant they take the time to check the spelling use capitals and an occasional comma or period

Well the one that KILLS me is when people want to say "would have" or "should have", but instead, they say would of. For example: I would of switched to D* long ago, but I was waiting for my 1 year committment with E* to end.

Ah, but if you contract "should have" or "would have" it'd be "should've" or would've." That sounds just like should of or would of. Maybe we shouldn't have contracted words..... ;)

Stargazer said:
When is the new AMC satellite going to finally get to 105?

AMC-15 is currently testing Ka band at 117 W. It is then expected to be moved to 113 W for more Ka band testing. The FCC authorization only allows testing at 113 W until May 21, 2005 and then it must be moved to 105 W. Bottom line is probably by June 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)