Hey, no rudeness intended, but to the DirecTV reps here, what do you think of "moving"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
(I recently saw that there actually are DirecTV people here.) Since you're not on duty like the Dish reps on the Dish forum, what is your honest opinion of it? Are you against it being that you work for the company? Would you "move" if you could? Are you able to "move"? What would happen to your job if the company finds out? Has anyone ever talked to you about "moving" when you were off duty? Would you tell them not to do so?

I don't think they care as long as they are making money. DTV didn't make the rules on that, it was the advertisers that pushed that.

Maybe I need to reword one part of my previous post... Can DirecTV EMPLOYEES "move"? What would happen to their jobs if they got caught? And the rest of the post asks about their opinions of "moving" in general...

I'm not interested in getting locals from another city, but I am interested in learning about "moving". 1st: What are you talking about when you say "moving"? 2: How do you 'move' or where would I go to learn more?

I'm not interested in getting locals from another city, but I am interested in learning about "moving". 1st: What are you talking about when you say "moving"? 2: How do you 'move' or where would I go to learn more?
Do a "Search" on this website, theres tons of info on it, as well as opinions and ideas.

"moving" is changing the physical address to gain something different

reasons people "move" (there are more but these are the "main" ones)
-they want locals not in their market. Their market may be in SD only on DIrectv (or not at all)
-they want a different RSN to watch a specific team
-their local market sucks but a neighboring market is much larger. Say someone in Victoria, TX (its own market) wants Houston locals

Reactions: BlueLemon

-they want locals not in their market. Their market may be in SD only on DIrectv (or not at all)
-their local market sucks but a neighboring market is much larger. Say someone in Victoria, TX (its own market) wants Houston locals
One side note:
If your "moving" you have to make sure it's not too far away, you have to be in that cities spotbeam.

For example, me being in the Toledo DMA, could probably get Columbus, Ohio (Buckeyes football), if I wanted, but I would be out of the spot beam for the Steelers games from Pittsburgh.

With some help from the FCC as well.
FCC enforces and sometimes makes rules as per powers granted by Congress, but it is our Congress who did all the bidding and provided ALL the help on this issue. It's all about STELA.

Yeah but they the advertisers lobbied the FCC to do it.

Posted From My HTC One

FCC enforces and sometimes makes rules as per powers granted by Congress, but it is our Congress who did all the bidding and provided ALL the help on this issue. It's all about STELA.

oh, you're both 100% correct, but the exact rationale given is "FCC regulations". It's the same reason DTV can't pump out the distant network service feeds of ABC/CBS/NBC etc.

oh, you're both 100% correct, but the exact rationale given is "FCC regulations". It's the same reason DTV can't pump out the distant network service feeds of ABC/CBS/NBC etc.

Your point is understood. We just want to be certain that in our arguments and proper direction of displeasure, that we all understand that Congress makes the laws FOR the FCC to rule. The FCC enforces the legislation written and passed by congress. The FCC are the police who only do as Congress has mandated or otherwise granted powers. In other words, Congress can change any "rule" of the FCC any time it wants.

However, you are correct in seeming to state that as the Police agency, the FCC does have some power, and I would say that this current Administration's policy of a "Hands Off" FCC is a good example of your criticism of the FCC and its UN-willingness to EXERCISE the powers it was granted by Congress, especially on the issue of "Net Neutrality" and declaring ISP's to be "Common Carriers." So, I think we are in more agreement than disagreement. Unfortunately, Congress currently crafting the new STELA will have the most power and influence upon the outcome with the FCC having to enforce what Congress has mandated.

Thanks for explaining it. I have no reason to 'move', but now I get why someone would. Very cool! Thanks!

I honestly didn't read all of the stuff above, but here's what I think (as an installer/tech about moving):

It makes my life a living hell. I've showed up at a nonexistant address, called to find out that the location is three counties over, and ended up "just doing the job anyways" in the name of customer service. There are a few customers in my DMA that do this, and I've just been reporting them. As a remote tech, this burns me.

Otherwise, moving is whatever, just don't get caught.

I honestly didn't read all of the stuff above, but here's what I think (as an installer/tech about moving):

It makes my life a living hell. I've showed up at a nonexistant address, called to find out that the location is three counties over, and ended up "just doing the job anyways" in the name of customer service. There are a few customers in my DMA that do this, and I've just been reporting them. As a remote tech, this burns me.

Otherwise, moving is whatever, just don't get caught.
This is not the point of "moving".... and as a fellow tech I would do the exact same thing. One is to assume people that "move" know not to have dtv send a tech to the incorrect address. I had a service call today for someone that legit moved to a new house and only one of his 3 boxes sorta worked on an existing 18x20.. I made him call movers to build a former install... I'm not taking that hit in pay just to provide customer service... turned out the guy moved 3x in a year and they were trying to bill him 220$ for the order. I canceled the service call and told the guy call into ace.. have a nice day..

Thanks for explaining it. I have no reason to 'move', but now I get why someone would. Very cool! Thanks!
as an example I was a "mover" for years

I lived in the Minneapolis DMA but "moved" first to Mankato which is 90 miles down the road. They are a 1 station market (CBS main/Fox subchannel) and the address I used had Mpls locals + the CBS as Significant viewed. Reason I "moved" was that CBS has a couple local programs that are good and the Minneapolis DMA is so huge when there is a storm 200 miles north they have the "weather alert"....it was nice to have a backup of CBS with no alerts

I also "moved" to Duluth, MN where I use to (and now do again) live

When I had Dish years ago I "moved" to Minneapolis because they didnt have Duluth locals at the time

How can you figure out what spot beam a person could get if I'm in Cincinnati?

Check the satmaps link at the bottom of the page. It has coverage maps for many of the spot beams.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts