HGTV & Food SD & HD

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
I just wanted to point out that I just noticed the programming is now the same on both versions of these channels. When did this happen? I just noticed this for the first time this morning.

It just started today.

While it will be nice to see the full schedule, there are still a lot of shows that are not in HD, so this means that the HD channels will not have as much HD content as before.

Not in my opinion. We gained 2 channels in my opinion. Yes, the channels were completely in HD before, but only showed a few hours of content every day and repeated it over and over.

I don't mind "Paula's Party", but if your going to show it every few hours, at least show a DIFFERENT EPISODE! I'm going to enjoy the way the channels are now. When a show is available in HD (like a new episode of Good Eats), I'm not stuck watching a crappy, blurry SD show. I can watch the show in glorious HD.

IMHO, however, I can see how some would like the old setup. I'd like to know why Scripps doesn't do like Discovery did and have a "theater" type channel with HD shows from Food Network, and HGTV on one channel. It would also prevent the CONSTANT repeats from the old HD channels.

Hmmm... just watching Food HD for the first time on the simulcast.

I turned on Emeril, and while the picture was crisp, I thought it was stretch-o-vision; as Emeril's face looked stretched. Then I thought, well, maybe its just Emeril having a fat face.

But now watching Good eats (6pm Mountain), and the PQ generally stinks. Colors are off; and its just not a great picture.

They both use stretch-o-vision, so when they show a 4:3 program (most of them are), they will be stretched. I would prefer they leave them in their standard aspect ratio with the crisper upconverted PQ in 4:3. Because of this stretch-o-vision crap, I now have to leave the SD versions of both channels in my guide. I much prefer to watch blurry programs in the normal aspect ratio, than clearer stretch programs.

The actual HD programs will come tonight. In fact I am currently watching Hidden Potential (just to check it out in between all of the baseball games) on HGTV-HD and it looks good in HD.

Does this mean that Direct will eventually get rid of the -1 and make it the same channel number as the SD channel, like they do with all SD and HD simulcast channels?

Emeril was hard to watch. They used the progressive stretch. When the camera panned the edges of the picture made me dizzy....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)