HGTV still on Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cdoyle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
HI,
My parents have DirectTV (Total Choice+), and this morning my mom called me said that her favorite channed HGTV was gone. So I thought that maybe Direct just moved it too somewhere else, so I went over to find it, and I can't?

I went to Direct's website, and it's still listed on channel 229?

Does anyone know if DirectTV dropped this channel? Or is there something else wrong?

I have Dish, and I still have it. So the channel still exists?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris.

Its still on Direct. Just have your parents add it back to their "Favorites" list. The same thing happen with my mom in regards to this channel, earlier today. Apparently, according to someone at TivoCommunity.com D* is "messing" around with transponders.

[Other channels I noticed missing from my favorites list were, Disney East & West; Nickelodeon East & West; some L.A. local channels; MTV; MTV 2; etc.]

I had to reset the boxes, and that fixed it.

My mom was ready to cancel too, she kept saying 'that's the only channel I watch!!'

my dad way happy that it was missing (lol) he kept saying, now we wont' have to watch that in the morning haha.

he wasn't thrilled about me fixing it.

Well, DTV and Comcast dropped another channel, for sure.

TRIO.

Gone from both services. Do not know who is carrying it now!

Talk to NBC/Universal, they said THEY were planning on discontinuing TRIO so I am sure the providers are just being proactive.

STORY from a while back.

Fate of Trio an issue

According to a deal announced recently, DirecTV will continue to carry loads of channels owned by NBC Universal, including NBC, MSNBC, USA and Bravo. But not Trio, which at year’s end will vanish into the ether for DirecTV subscribers. And maybe for everybody else — which could spell its doom.

This would be a premature end for a channel that has forged a whimsically curatorial approach to TV and pop culture, and in the process won favor with such programming as “Brilliant, But Cancelled,” which highlights short-lived but noteworthy series from the past.

Trio, which began life in the mid-1990s as a U.S. outlet for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., was acquired in 2000 by media magnate Barry Diller for his Universal Television group, which then became part of Vivendi Universal, which, in turn, merged with NBC last spring to become NBC Universal.

So far NBC Universal has been tight-lipped about Trio’s fate, but with the network’s DirecTV cutoff looming, its new owner can cite ample reason to throw in the towel. Trio, crushed by the embrace of two media behemoths, could soon find that “Brilliant, But Cancelled” is its own epitaph.

Noticed it gone tonight also - a quick reset of the affected box solved the problem (I'm assuming I got some bad guide data - I had turned the power off to the circuit for some electrical work in the morning)

I had lost most of the even transponders on Thursday night. Thought it was a shorted cable and was going crazy looking for it, disconnecting the diplexors, than thinking it was the LNB.... and about to call tech services...when I noticed in the manuel that there was a reset button, and took a chance and pushed it....and WOW all back to normal, as well as my mind... This system was just installed on Sunday by a licenced D* installer.

What we were told is that D* sent a software upgrade to RCA DRD43* and DRD48* series IRD's, and that some IRD's didn't take it, and that's why it kicked some channels out. Whether that's true or not is TBD. I also heard that we were playing transponder musical chairs.

Both very decent explanations. With 2 new satellites going up within 36 days, 1 in 3 days, I can see the transponder movement, but why only some receivers "dump" the info is weird.

I'm just relaying what I was told by upper management. I know that sometimes we are told BS on purpose since a few D* subscribers are about as technically proficient as a pair of fingernail clippers (No offense to anyone here, but fellow D* csr's probably will agree...and it's not really their fault) so I don't know if it was really a software upgrade or not. I was told it was for D* Interactive, so it's anyone's guess.

It could be. I was told that D* employees would get the Interactive upgrade first, and only if they had D10's. There's been nothing "official" about any other receiver model getting the upgrade. I would think that if there was some transponder shifting going around, that it would affect ALL receiver models. I checked about 15 channels (ESPN, ESPN2, HBO, etc.) and so far I haven't seen any transponder movement. Somehow I think that any changes would be universal and not just limited to one or 2 receiver series. I'll check at work tomorrow to see if there's any new info.

Ohhhh. okay....that makes sense. All the calls I had today just kind of ran together so I guess I had a little brain fart...and yay! I get to go back tomorrow.

Actually, a few RCA IRDs, D10-200, and I think one other box are affected... And the reason given in the scripts was "Due to changes in the way that DirecTV broadcasts affected receivers will have: Channel not Available, Channels missing from guide, or a green screen until the unit is reset." Also, there was a notice for a short while the other day saying that DTV service will go SFSS from 5AM to 6AM ET. I believe it was for Friday morning but I could be wrong.

~

Yeah, I love that wording "change in broadcasts". It's like they don't have the guts to tell us what really happened.

It's an easy way to tell their customers that D* changed the transponder locations of some channels and the receivers didn't download an updated guide automatically.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)