HH motor, 33" dish no luck with getting FTA channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BlueskyCan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2006
I have one 20" dish with 2 LNB & works fine. I got excited, bought HH motor and 33" dish. Installed it, followed all direction, no luck! spend more than 40 hours on fine tuning, get the level 80% easily but quality 0%. My LAT is 43.5, LON 79.53. Magnetic deviation is 11.5 deg. El 38.4. True south for me is 180+11.5=191.5deg. I tried to get AMC 5, 79.0 deg west as my LON is 79.0 deg. Is there any chance that my LNB might be dead one? why I can not get anything on this? My other LNB with a stationary dish I setup in 2 hours and works great. Any help will be highly appreciated. Regards

We need more info on your hardware. If you , by chance, have an Invacom QPH031 lnb, I'd suggest using 82W, Nimiq 2 , as your original southern sat . It's an easy bird to hit, because of its power, but you need a circular polarity lnb, hence the Invacom hope.

Once you have optimized your aim on the Nimiq powerful bird, then you would go to a weaker linear bird and check your alignment.

Let us have your setup and we'll talk step by step.
:)

The OP is not far from me (I'm at 43.5, 79.7) and in order to get AMC 5 you'll need to find an active, strong TP. I'd suggest 11.900 H as it gives me almost full-scale quality on my Coolsat. Once you've selected it it's a matter of SLOWLY moving the dish around until you get you a signal.

But... first things first.

Your mounting pole/mast MUST be perfectly plumb in order for the motor to track the satellite arc properly. There are several motors out there but unfortunately you didn't specify which one you have. Most motors have an elevation setting and you set it to whatever your latitude is (in your case, 43.5). After that DON'T TOUCH THE SETTING. Any further elevation adjustments are to be made at the dish ONLY.

Mount your motor on the pole relatively loosely. Mount your dish on the motor ensuring that it is in line with the motor direction (some will have marks to guide you). At this point I'd suggest adjusting the elevation on THE DISH to ~23 degrees. Hook up your lnb to your receiver and TV and turn the whole dish+motor contraption to roughly 180 degrees (i.e. due south) and SLOWLY turn it back and forth until you get a signal. If you don't, adjust the dish elevation up or down, and repeat the last step. Eventually you'll find a signal. :)

Once you get it, change to a weaker TP (in the case of AMC 5 select 11.742 V) and make slow elevation and azimuth adjustment until you get maximum quality. Once you've got that, lock EVERYTHING down.

All of these previous steps assume you've "zeroed" your motor to your TS satellite and you've installed your LINEAR lnb with a 0 skew (lnb body pointed straight up and down, not turned clockwise or anticlockwise).

Having said all that, it's often times preferred to simply find the satellite using the dish alone so that you get a good idea where to aim next time when you add in the motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts