HH Motor In Cold Winter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's all good. Couple things I remember from when it was really cold out (like below 0) and you wanted to work on the dish farm
-make sure you have everything when you go out. Nothing sucks worse than getting out in the cold only to realize you don't have the right wrench
-oh and speaking of wrench. If you drop it in the snow, do NOT pick it up then put it in your mouth. (been there done that too many times)
-Unroll cable out before taking it outside. Cable doesn't flex when its cold :)

and the best one when it gets really cold.....thinking long and hard "do I really need to do this today or can it wait?"

Ouch! That definitely looks parked to me for awhile! We have ice storms sometimes in Kentucky, that's probably when I will leave the dish parked at 99W. :)
I just climbed up on the roof (it was only about 8 feet up off the deck) and used the snow rake to get the snow off from around it. This is what I was working with

000_0090.jpg

Here is the C-Band dish
000_0086.jpg

It's all good. Couple things I remember from when it was really cold out (like below 0) and you wanted to work on the dish farm
-make sure you have everything when you go out. Nothing sucks worse than getting out in the cold only to realize you don't have the right wrench
-oh and speaking of wrench. If you drop it in the snow, do NOT pick it up then put it in your mouth. (been there done that too many times)
-Unroll cable out before taking it outside. Cable doesn't flex when its cold :)

and the best one when it gets really cold.....thinking long and hard "do I really need to do this today or can it wait?"

You mean can a second 1.2M dish install wait? Absolutely! Like June! Brrrrrrrrr!! :)

Since we're in the "mood" here about cold/snow are a couple other pics I had of the dish farm (at various stages) and snow on them
The thing is my dish farm changed constantly depending on what I had available, the mood I was in and the time of year

And before you say it, yes that is a table that 3 dishes are on
yes the piece of wood is holding up the deck railing so the dish wouldnt sag ;)

000_0404.jpg PICT0036.JPG

You mean can a second 1.2M dish install wait? Absolutely! Like June! Brrrrrrrrr!! :)
that depends on the weather and if its a fixed spot how quickly can you install and aim the dish properly ;)

I had 2 C-Band dishes that I wheeled out of my garage mainly for Alaska hockey games on AMC7. The one dish was already elevated for it so all I had to do was wheel it out, drop it, and aim it. Sometimes I'd be spot on (or damn near it).
My neighbors thought I was nuts when I'd be out there with buckets of hot water to clear the snow on the driveway in front of the garage. Always wanted the dish to be on the asphalt, not the snow :)
PICT0123.JPG

Since we're in the "mood" here about cold/snow are a couple other pics I had of the dish farm (at various stages) and snow on them
The thing is my dish farm changed constantly depending on what I had available, the mood I was in and the time of year

And before you say it, yes that is a table that 3 dishes are on
yes the piece of wood is holding up the deck railing so the dish wouldnt sag ;)

View attachment 102891 View attachment 102892

Jeeze Ice!!! At least you don't live near western upstate NY. Talk about snow dump! I wasn't going to say anything at all about your setup, actually it makes my use of small wooden pegs or wooden wedges look pretty innocent in comparison. :)

that depends on the weather and if its a fixed spot how quickly can you install and aim the dish properly ;)

I had 2 C-Band dishes that I wheeled out of my garage mainly for Alaska hockey games on AMC7. The one dish was already elevated for it so all I had to do was wheel it out, drop it, and aim it. Sometimes I'd be spot on (or damn near it).
My neighbors thought I was nuts when I'd be out there with buckets of hot water to clear the snow on the driveway in front of the garage. Always wanted the dish to be on the asphalt, not the snow :)
View attachment 102893

My neighbor thought my roof dish farm was a powerful home business center. Lol. When I told the neighbor what it really was, he told me I was going to somehow attract government agents from Iran somehow. Okay.

Reactions: Mr Tony
My neighbor thought my roof dish farm was a powerful home business center. Lol. When I told the neighbor what it really was, he told me I was going to somehow attract government agents from Iran somehow. Okay.

oh yeah been there heard that
One time I was setting up a dish for 30W (Hispasat) and its a 8 elevation in Minneapolis. So I mounted it at the peak of the roof on the tripod for the TV antenna. Its like 90 degrees (100+ with heat index) and my neighbor walks out sees me and says "What the hell you trying to get now? Japan???"

My response...."Nope. Cuba" :)
Hispasat 3.JPG Hispasat 1.JPG Hispasat 6.JPG

oh yeah been there heard that
One time I was setting up a dish for 30W (Hispasat) and its a 8 elevation in Minneapolis. So I mounted it at the peak of the roof on the tripod for the TV antenna. Its like 90 degrees (100+ with heat index) and my neighbor walks out sees me and says "What the hell you trying to get now? Japan???"

My response...."Nope. Cuba" :)

LOL!! Sweet! I bet that sent him running to the house. He wouldn't be too far off if he told me Japan. I checked into getting Japan TV that I would pay NHK Broadcasting directly to. But it would be an overly complicated expensive setup with no guarantees I could even get their signal where I live. I'm not signing up to Dish just for that little package. :)

Nah my neighbor was cool. He use to think I was just goofy setting up the dish outside the garage but one time Alaska was playing Wisconsin in hockey. He is a Badger alum and is from Wisconsin. When he found out I could get the game and he couldn't we hooked up the receiver in his heated garage and watched the game in there :)

FYI the Stab 90 HH has a combination of metal and synthetic gears. It has worked well here in below 0 degree days for many winters without issue.

My roof dish farm from across the street. The 3rd dish is a little hard to see, it's getting dark already. You can kind of see all the trees in the backyard I have to contend with in the summer. :)

Attachments

• 1416693385860.jpg
    1416693385860.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 168
I had the three types. Mostek SG2100. the stab HH and the Royal. Each of them lasted more than 8 years each, almost all failed at the same time, except the Stab. Contrary to Brian, never oiled, greased them, should I've done it, they may have been running yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)