Hi Guys - I'm new here - please don't flame me too bad!!!

daddy_steve

Original poster
May 17, 2007
I'm using an old Starband Dish and an 18" dish together with a SW21 for Dish 500.

A thunderstorm took out my 311 reciever which, after much arguing and several different customer "no-service" people, was finally replaced.

The SW21 must be bad as I still don't have a signal.

A friend gave me a Dish 500 Pro dish and LNBF that I would like to mount on the Starband mast to get rid of the second roof mounted dish and switch.

The thought went thru my head that if I could remove all the Starband crap and mount the 500 LNBF, would I get better reception during rain storms? Or would this be a wasted effort? Has anyone attempted this?

Any advice, comments, remarks appreciated.

Thanx, Steve

It would be a wasted effort for the most part unless your living in an area where the signal is weak such as northern canada or alaska or central mexico or further south. When did you start service with dish and did you do your own install, its rare for an installer to use a non dishnetwork dish and I have never heard of one using a starband dish for dish service.

If you want to use the starbad pole you will need to get a prime star adapter, check with dishstore for the adapter.

Welcome to our little group. You won't see much flaming here.

Let us know how it works out.

It would be a wasted effort for the most part unless your living in an area where the signal is weak such as northern canada or alaska or central mexico or further south. When did you start service with dish and did you do your own install, its rare for an installer to use a non dishnetwork dish and I have never heard of one using a starband dish for dish service.

I bought my equipment after DISH first started in this area - Been through a couple of different receivers since then (I own a pawnshop) :)

I had the Starband system installed when it came out and they left my original dish hooked up (two story house with a daylight basement in back) for one of the satelites and used the Starband dish for the other satelite. The installer said it was better to do it that way because the adjustments were a compromise and I would get better TV reception and faster internet. The Starband internet worked OK but I turned it off when DSL came in my area.

I'll look into the adapter - Thanx!!!

Sorry I had starband and primestar confused there for a moment. I installed a total of two starband systems in 2000 - 2001. While the idea behind satellite internet is a good one it is a flawed system that is not good for a large portion of the broadband market.