HIC Installation Question

Bradtothebone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 12, 2003
KC Area
I'm having a 2 Hopper - 4 Joey system installed on Friday. I'm planning to use a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) at one of the Joey locations. MY question is this: Can the HIC be installed on a MOCA line that is split between two Joey locations, or will that cause issues? It (the HIC) will be on an RG-59 coax, if that makes any difference. The installation diagram that's out there shows the HIC on a dedicated line, so it got me wondering. I could do 3 Joeys on one Hopper if I had to, but I'd prefer to split them 2 and 2.

I'm having a 2 Hopper - 4 Joey system installed on Friday. I'm planning to use a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) at one of the Joey locations. MY question is this: Can the HIC be installed on a MOCA line that is split between two Joey locations, or will that cause issues? It (the HIC) will be on an RG-59 coax, if that makes any difference. The installation diagram that's out there shows the HIC on a dedicated line, so it got me wondering. I could do 3 Joeys on one Hopper if I had to, but I'd prefer to split them 2 and 2.
You can just put the HIC in passthrough to the Joey in the same room (there is a passthrough coax port on the back of the HIC). doesn't have to be on a dedicated client line.

I think the only requirement was that the HIC needed to be on a client line.

RG59 is fine as long as it's only being used for the client lines and you aren't using two taps.

Thanks for the reply, sparc. The situation is that there would be a splitter downstream from the dual node, with RG-59 going from it to two Joeys. One of the Joeys would have the HIC on its line. Does the client line splitter cause any issues?

Only 2 components can be between any 2 Hopper Joey System receivers
• Nodes and 75 Ohm Terminators do not count for this restriction
• Minimize number of devices for the installation

there was that rule. If the node doesn't count, then I would think you should be ok. I would count the splitter and HIC as two components total between the Hopper/Joey since the node doesn't count.

Hope that helps. My system didn't need any splitters since i only have 1 Joey now with passthrough on the HIC (so I haven't tested that myself).

Thanks. My main concern is getting a solid internet connection at every location. If the 3dB loss through the splitter might cause issues, I'd like to know in advance if possible. If anyone has some "in the wild" experience with a HIC on a split Joey line, I'd like to hear from them.

Thanks. My main concern is getting a solid internet connection at every location. If the 3dB loss through the splitter might cause issues, I'd like to know in advance if possible. If anyone has some "in the wild" experience with a HIC on a split Joey line, I'd like to hear from them.

I have 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys. I put my HIC in the client line from the Duo Node feeding a 3-way splitter feeding the Joeys on that side of the system. I am getting good service at all 6 Joeys.

Thanks for the replies. My installer was out Friday. He didn't want to put the HIC on a "split" line. He said they have had (unspecified) "problems" with 3 devices, e.g. 2 Joeys and a HIC, on a client line. What he did, and I suppose it's fine, is put one Joey from each hopper on a host line with a tap, and the second Joey on its respective client line. The HIC is installed at one of the Joeys connected to the client line, IIRC. He still had some trouble getting the Joey at the HIC locaction to work correctly (it would show the menus, but no programming). He had to go back to its Hopper and reconfigure the Home Network to get it to work.

Everything seems to be working fine, EXCEPT that when I turned on the Joey in the Master Bedroom this morning, I got a "Searching for Hopper #xxxxxx" screen, and had to reboot the Joey. Is this something I can expect to see a lot?

Brad

Everything seems to be working fine, EXCEPT that when I turned on the Joey in the Master Bedroom this morning, I got a "Searching for Hopper #xxxxxx" screen, and had to reboot the Joey. Is this something I can expect to see a lot?

It will normally say that Searching for Hopper, but it should connect pretty fast. I have had it get stuck maybe once or twice in the last three months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)