High bandwidth for the Tyson Fight on 711

bradley said:
DirecTV is charging $54.95 for HD and $44.95 for SD PPV bout.

Voom is charging $0 for the HD, and pissing all over the SD...

....nice....

bradley said:
Would it be nice to see the fight at 18mps... you bet.

Reality; not all Voomers will want to view the fight (I do).

But let's keep ALL Voomers in mind.

Should other channels be sacrificed to increase the bout to 18mps? No.

My hope is when we migrate to mpeg4 we’ll see increased image quality due to significantly lower bandwidth requirements. Until then...

You're right bradley: Not all Voomers will want to view the fight.

But, having said that, how bad would it hurt the HDCinema10 channels if each one was dropped down by 1 MBPS? How many people would this really effect? I suppose one would have to compare how many viewers would be watching the HDCinema10 channels to how many viewers would be watching the fight. And the entire fight event is probably only going to last about 3 hours. So, at most, the event would effect 1.5 movies per HDCinema10 channel. I think it would definitely be to Vooms advantage to go through with this. A lot of non-HD consumers will be watching this event at their buddies house who does have Voom.

Plus, this type of event really does need a lot of bandwidth so that it doesn't have macroblocking. Did you ever see the Britney Spears concert that Showtime produced earlier this year? !sadroll :what Yuck! The concert was nice and full of color (if you were there live), but it was bad for HD since the lighting was wild and to much movement/camera switches. It would have been okay with more bandwidth. The Tyson fight is sure to have lots of camera flashes from the crowd. They usually dim the lights when the fighters go out to the ring. The punches are fast (and if they fill up the screen, that's a lot of movement.)

So anyhow, I think I've made my point.

ChetK,....yes you have made your point and very well too. I hope it can happen

All they have to do is turn off ONE cinema10 for 3 hours. Yes, somebody out there will have to catch the nth showing of Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean some other time. Oh the horror, the horror!

There's no need to turn off anything. They have at least two spot of HD channels empty right now. So they can use those to allocate more bandwith to 711.

I think they should chop MOov to SD then if the 3 people in the nation who watch Moov call up and say "Hey why is Moov in SD" the CSRs can say "Art."

IM not saying anything.. Just shaking my head. Now some of the moderators are for increased PQ for one event?...Lmao.

Any chance we can show off our setups and get more people into HD then I am all for it. :)

Crank up the bandwidth VOOM! :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Any chance we can show off our setups and get more people into HD then I am all for it. :)

Crank up the bandwidth VOOM! :D

I am wondering how easy this MBps manipulation is (I am sure it is not as easy as moving sliders for different channels). Does anybody know the mechanism?

Geez,

This has been my hot issue with Voom on this forum for weeks, ever since I went into a Video store and saw DTV running on a plasma showing HDnet.

The picture was way better than every Voom channel although even with HDnews.

This sucks if Voom makes a crap free fight great PQ- and ingnores everything else.

Are you sure the fight will be in HD? Even if it is not, Voom kicks Dish and DirecTV a$$es for making it free.
Gee, if Voom would just deliver 4-5 of its the best channels with "wow" factor, I would leave my wife and ask Voom to marry me.
P.S.
Without Voom guide guy!!! :D

andrzej said:
I am wondering how easy this MBps manipulation is (I am sure it is not as easy as moving sliders for different channels). Does anybody know the mechanism?
It's all computer based and, although I've never used the system, I'd imaging it would be a simple function.

Seawaves said:
Geez,

This has been my hot issue with Voom on this forum for weeks, ever since I went into a Video store and saw DTV running on a plasma showing HDnet.

The picture was way better than every Voom channel although even with HDnews.

This sucks if Voom makes a crap free fight great PQ- and ingnores everything else.

In other words, a no-win situation. Great PQ for the fight - it sux. Normal PQ for the fight - it sux as well. I call it whining.

Honestly, I think it would be great if Wilt would pull something like this off. But there's this little guy in my head telling me that it won't happen. Either way, I have to thank Voom for giving it to us for free. And the practicalities of doing this are great, but I can't say that I feel like it's going to happen. Maybe because it's me who's doing the asking. :cool:

Just a simple question...how would really know if VOOM increased the PQ for the fight? Would we just be able to tell from the picture quality or would it be something we could check via the VOOM receiver?

vinnyv07 said:
Just a simple question...how would really know if VOOM increased the PQ for the fight? Would we just be able to tell from the picture quality or would it be something we could check via the VOOM receiver?

we couldn't know for sure. Unless someone has modded the voom receiver to get at the stream and measure the bitrate, which I don't think anyone has done.

If your getting pixelation and blurring problems when they switch cameras or with heavy action, I would take that as an indication of 12mps transmission. Right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)