High channel number pros and cons?

If I have a program name scheduled to record all with a preference for HD, and I SKIP an event, it immediately switches to the non-HD which I then have to skip, which then switches to the 4 digit HD which I have to SKIP which then switches to the 4 digit non-HD which I have to SKIP and since its a "record all", it must look at the entire schedule because each of the four SKIPs takes 10-15 seconds to complete.
Consider using a conventional channel-based timer instead of a name-based timer. It is easier to set up and you don't have to mess with it if something goes into syndication.

Unfortunately, we still watch some things that are in SD only.
GaryPen already responded to this, but to clarify, for a channel like ESPN, with pre-Hopper receivers, I believe it shows up as

140 (SD) ESPN
140 (HD) ESPN

in the guide. When you enable this "only show HD channel" setting, it shows up like

140 (HD) ESPN

A channel such as TV Land, channel 106, is only available in SD and it does not get hidden by this setting.

It sounds like he/she is using "seek" timers if it's finding the same stuff on multiple channels.
That's what NBR should be used for but I got the impression that it was being used instead of a conventional timer since the poster was complaining of having to delete three of four occurances.

I don't remember what they were called pre-Hopper -- I rarely used them -- and even on the Hopper, I consider them a last resort. I only use them for a show/series that's not currently running and even then, you have to check. Once it finds an airing for me, I delete the timer and change it to a normal timer. Or, I use it to find any show about a subject/topic I like. For instance, I used to have a seek timer for 'van halen'.

Just to clarify for my own sake, "seek" timers are the same/similar as name-based-recording, yes ?

Don't forget not ALL channels up in the 9000 range map down to lower numbers. BYUTV channel (9403) for instance. I watch a lot of the old Disney movies on that channel.

I don't care for the nested channel groups on the Hopper, though, and wish they made nesting an option in the Menu.

I like that my B1G/SEC/PAC-12 alternates are right next to my primary channel, and that Sirius channels are the same (after the prefix) from the car radio to the Hopper. I would like to have 71-104 and all PPV/VOD nested also, but I guess that's what favorites lists are for.

I like that my B1G/SEC/PAC-12 alternates are right next to my primary channel, and that Sirius channels are the same (after the prefix) from the car radio to the Hopper. I would like to have 71-104 and all PPV/VOD nested also, but I guess that's what favorites lists are for.
You misunderstand. I have no problem with them being grouped together. In fact, I prefer that. I just don't like them nesting into a single "master" channel, and also that they are different numbers than on the VIP series and online channel guides.

It doesn't remove SD-only channels. Only SD duplicates of HD channels, which will solve half your problem.
All SD-only channels will still be visible.
You do not want to set the guide to "My HD Channels" as that will only show the HD channels in your guide. What you are talking about is in the menu, you set it to
Menu>Settings>Guide Settings>Format Guide>HD Channels

This will only show the HD version of a channel, but will also show the SD channels that do not have an HD counterpart. The exception to the rule are the sports channels, which will show both the HD and SD channels(results may vary on that one in the 412-xx area)

You do not want to set the guide to "My HD Channels" as that will only show the HD channels in your guide. What you are talking about is in the menu, you set it to
Menu>Settings>Guide Settings>Format Guide>HD Channels
I never said he should use "My HD Channels". I said he should go into guide settings in the menu, just as you are suggesting now.

I never said he should use "My HD Channels". I said he should go into guide settings in the menu, just as you are suggesting now.
I thought so. I was just making sure it was clear for anyone who may be reading that is not as familiar with the system as many of us. Especially since there are a lot of folks that just read it, the original instructions sounded a little off, although they were not incorrect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)