High Def Disc unit sales - The Digital Bits

If you look at the numbers coming out, for hidef titles that do exist there is a lot higher percentate than 2% being sold as BD/HD-DVD. Still are much more titles coming out on DVD only, which apparently why the percentage is lower.

What numbers though? People are hanging their hat on the No Country for Old Men figures. If these numbers are so good, why didn't we see them for Spider-Man or any other 'big' BD release? Why haven't we seen anything like that since? Without that ratio continuing to be updated it is irrelevant.

If one out of every three HDM purchases over this period were HDDVD, and no HDDVD titles are in the top 10, then given the volume which none of us will refute, it was a poor week for Blu-Ray.

People are trying to spin it all to make their chosen format look good, but just use some common sense here...

From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 04/13/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 86.......HD-DVD 14
Since inception:......Blu-ray 67.......HD-DVD 33

Top 20 Blu-ray vs Top 20 DVD unit sales: 5% to 95%

Pretty big swing back toward Blu-ray.

All the titles in the top ten are Blu-ray. Probably won't see another HD DVD title in the top ten, unless there's some sort of coordinated close out sale.

I wonder, will Blu-ray dip below 70% again? When will it top 90%? And when will sales be strong enough to start the "Since Inception" figures climbing?

Sorry for the late posting, I've been out of town. I'll be taking more weekend trips now that the weather is warming.

Looks like pulling out of major retailers has cut the HD-DVD sales down a lot. Seeing HD media up to 5% on at least one chart is nice.

Both formats seem to be dying at the local Walmart. There used to be many more movies for sale in both formats.

Software units sales ratios as of 04/20/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 91.......HD-DVD 9
Since inception:......Blu-ray 68.......HD-DVD 32

Top 20 Blu-ray vs Top 20 DVD unit sales: 6% to 94%

Well, Blu-ray finally hit the over 90% mark. And the "Since Inception" figures finally ticked up one.

All the top ten were Blu-ray.

Thanks for continuing to post this navy, I dont really read the threads at BR.com anymore.

Even if you are an "elitist" :haha
Huh 90% of your posts contain a link to BR.com

John McCain: "He may not be an elitist but that was an elitist comment"

I think you should work on your reading comprehension skills(among other things). I stated I do not generally read the "THREADS" over there. Everything I post in the BR forum comes from the "NEWS" section.

!sadroll

Last edited:
When you tell the truth it hurts. I guess its ok for him to call people names because he's still wishes HDDVD was alive which jives with your thinking.

Ive noticed a trend around here, it ok to insult someone or get away with a certain offense if the mass agrees with you(in this case most here dont like bluray, including a mod or two).

Hmmm.

Neither one of you can read. I clearly stated I i appreciated his help because I dont read the THREADS anymore. Nonrev then proceeded with his normal smart ass comment, which was incorrect for the statement he QUOTED.

I did not say I did not read BR.com, is said I did not really read the THREADS.

I hear walmart has a good deal on glasses. We should really just call this the "I Hate BR Zone", because thats all it is a bunch of whiney haters.

Well, FWIW, I just wanted to let folks know my info comes from the source, not via a 3rd party.

I think you should work on your reading comprehension skills(among other things). I stated I do not generally read the"THREADS" over there. Everything I post in the BR forum comes from the"NEWS"section.

!sadroll
Is there really a difference between BR.com news or threads section? Its all the same rhetoric. Will you ever see an article or post that is objectively anti BD, I think not. So cut the crap, trying to differentiate between their news and threads section is an up hill battle. Oh and how smart is it to disrespect the mods? If people wanted to visit BR.com they’d just go there. Ever wonder why a lot of your threads get 0 replies?

Last edited:

Software units sales ratios as of 04/27/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 93.......HD-DVD 7
Since inception:......reporting on this seems to have been discontinued.

Top 20 Blu-ray vs Top 20 DVD unit sales: 6% to 94%

Perhaps the rest of the information will be out Sunday. HMM changed their URL scheme for their issues, and the above info is from their web site. Other info might be released later.

Updated 5/3/08

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)