high def vs standard def

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pdiddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2013
western montana
I have a high def direct tv receiver,but am only paying for standard def,It shows I'm getting 480i def right now.Shouldn't it be at least 720i,picture quality stinks.

Go into settings. Display resolution.
Check 720p and or 1080i.
Edit. Sorry. See that you are paying for sd.
You get what you paid for:)

pdiddy, you are in an area that gets locals only in mpeg4, which means you have to have hd equipment, but if you don't pay the hd fee, they are in sd. You shouldn't get higher than 480i resolution.

720p is low resolution hi-def. There is no such thing as 720i. 480i and 480p are SD. And when a channel broadcasts in SD, it's always 480i. Nobody uses "p" unless they are broadcasting in 720p.

I'm prettyy sure that the HD receivers will ouput 480p from a received 480i signal when they are being used for SD reception in an MPEG-4 DMA....

pdiddy,
Depending on your TV some of the upshift technology can be quite remarkable. I am watching a SD broadcast right now on what my Direct receiver identifies as "480i resolution + Pillar Box format" and my Sony 52" led TV is upshifting it to a very acceptable picture. No, it is not HD, but it is not bad quality either. You may want to check your TV settings and see if you are letting the TV do the upshifting or not. Without it, SD on a a larger HD set is really crappy.
Bob

Thanks for everybodys input.Seems to me high def should be the standard direct tv broadcasts.Think of it this way,when you call the phone company,they don't say did you want clear dial tone,that's one price.Or we can give you dial tone with static for $10.00 per month cheaper.They are making a killing for the prices they are charging on our monthly bills.Everyone should be getting high def,for no additional charge.It's all about making the massive profit

Sorry, no 480p except perhaps with a PC output. There is no such thing as 480p broadcast standard.
Bob, I know there is no 480p broadcast standard. I was asking if the HD receivers will output 480p from 480i when they are being used SD only in an MPEG-4 market.

Seems to me high def should be the standard direct tv broadcasts.
Most see the issue as not paying for what you're not getting.
Think of it this way,when you call the phone company,they don't say did you want clear dial tone,that's one price.
You may be surprised to learn that telcos used to charge extra for tone dialing even though it cost them quite a bit to deny you access to it.
It's all about making the massive profit
DIRECTV is printing money and their shareholders like it that way. Anything that keeps them at 20+% profit is what they need to do.

If you were in the business, would you give away something that cost 4x as much to deliver? Such is not to say that the break that they're giving SD customers is as big as it should be relative to cost but they don't want to make the jump up too expensive.

I know very well,it's about making a massive profit,but believe you me they are already making a massive profit on packages,that you are forced to buy just to get a channel or two that you do want to watch.For a minute there, it almost almost sounded like you are employee.

720p is low resolution hi-def. There is no such thing as 720i. 480i and 480p are SD. And when a channel broadcasts in SD, it's always 480i. Nobody uses "p" unless they are broadcasting in 720p.
I do not consider 720p to be Low def
720p is where the HD starts ...

720p has more info to work with than 1080i

If we went back to Progressive viewing, 1080i is less than 720p at 540p.

No, I don't want to go into it all night, just pointing it out.

Reactions: Ganthet
Thanks for everybodys input.Seems to me high def should be the standard direct tv broadcasts.Think of it this way,when you call the phone company,they don't say did you want clear dial tone,that's one price.Or we can give you dial tone with static for $10.00 per month cheaper.They are making a killing for the prices they are charging on our monthly bills.Everyone should be getting high def,for no additional charge.It's all about making the massive profit
There is a standard for HD , it starts at 720p and goes up from there.
You can't tell the industry that it can't continue to improve thier signal.

Fwiw, Static on your phone line is FREE.

However, you now have options even for your phone line, you can get the normal Lanedine signal to your home or you can get the VOIP signal to your home, both available over the same copper lines.

Fwiw, att is moving to voip as quickly as they can.

No guys, thats NOT doing away with the copper, the signals still got to get there somehow, there are very few developments that have Fiber all the way thruout, while there are some, its far and few between.

I know very well,it's about making a massive profit,but believe you me they are already making a massive profit on packages,that you are forced to buy just to get a channel or two that you do want to watch.For a minute there, it almost almost sounded like you are employee.
Actually, its not as much Directv and Dish or even the Cable company as it is the people that own the channels that require x amount of money for these channels ...
Remember, for every channel you want, theres a lot of channels you dislike or don't watch that the Channel owner also owns and wants on the provider and will not allow the channel you want without an agreement for the rest of said channels.

Think of it this way,when you call the phone company,they don't say did you want clear dial tone,that's one price.Or we can give you dial tone with static for $10.00 per month cheaper.
Boy, we know you are a youngster! You obviously are way too young to remember the rotary dial phone days. When tone dialing first came out (versus the old dial method) the phone company DID charge extra for this service. We bought a new phone that had tone dialing on it and connected it to our line. Shortly thereafter we got a letter from the phone company that they would start charging us the extra amount if we did not disconnect the phone. We changed it back to click dialing. No one would think of charging like that today for a tone phone.

All the "bigs" do the same thing. They pass it off as an "enhanced" service. And the regulatory agencies embrace this stuff.

Bob, I know there is no 480p broadcast standard. I was asking if the HD receivers will output 480p from 480i when they are being used SD only in an MPEG-4 market.
They probably do since every frame is cached in memory. But, only an HD receiver could deal with this full-frame 60 times a second versus a SD receiver expecting half the picture each 1/30th of a second. I really don't understand why this option is even available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts