High Definition Channels "too big" for screen.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JusJim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I hope this question is ok for this forum.

We got our HD hooked up last week, and it seems that most all of the programs coming over the high definition channels are too wide and too tall for the screen.

We have a 722 receiver, and a 55" Mitsubishi TV. We've chosen the 1080i and 16x9 in the HDTV setup on the receiver.

We're using the DVI connection on the TV going into the HDMI connection on the tuner. When using this connection we can choose either the standard (which we're using) or expanded HD settings for the TV. The expanded HD setting throws it way out of kilter.

We also have a component connection in which we can choose the exact same settings as described above with the same results.

Whenever we choose a HD channel it does show "stretch" as opposed to "normal", which I'm assuming is it's way of showing HD?

Any comments, ideas or suggestions on what we can do to correct this.

TIA

Have you tried the "format" button in the lower left on the remote? This should cycle through "normal", "zoom", "grey bar" and a couple other modes, which may work for you. I think you have this set for "stretch" instead of "normal"....

Ah, that did it. I kept looking into the "menu" options and couldn't find anything.....it was right under our nose.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, everyonce in a while I notice that it "just doesn't look right". Usually someone has accidentially pressed the * button and changed the aspect. I sometimes use it when watching Top Gear on BBC America. Since that show is on a 4:3 channel, but letterboxed slightly, I find that the Parial Zoom works great on resizing to fit my screen without introducing stretching or cropping.

Perhaps your set has a lot of overscan cutting off the picture.
I think it is also the way the channels are being sent. I have adjusted my TV's overscan and still get picture that is too large. Most notably the new discovery HD and TLC HD. They are notorious for running captions at the bottom and those are always cut off. You can just see the tops of the letters.

I think it is also the way the channels are being sent. I have adjusted my TV's overscan and still get picture that is too large. Most notably the new discovery HD and TLC HD. They are notorious for running captions at the bottom and those are always cut off. You can just see the tops of the letters.
That is because that show or commercial isn't HD and is zoomed to fit the screen.

Glad I could actually help someone else out! I have had numerous times when this forum has helped me, so it's good to "give back"

When CBS-HD is broadcasting football, their ticker at the bottom is cut off on my screen. SD looks fine, but the problem is there for both OTA and Dish-transmitted HD local. I've never seen it anywhere else (for example the ticker on ESPN is just fine), so my guess is that it has more to do with the broadcast than overscan issues, etc., on the TV.

I found that my new HDMI to DVI-D plug, makes the picture bigger. When I take it off, the picture is fine. Reason why I have it, is its a 90 degree angle plug, so I can push the TV closer to the wall. The TV is 71 inchs and freakin BIG enough, it doesn't need to take up the entire area. It even has its own wheels. lol

Sounds like you need to get into the service mode and adjust the picture size - too much overscan.

I have a 722 and a 222.

If you use the page up button on the remote you change the HD picture aspect ratio. If you use the page down button you change the SD picture aspect ratio.

I have set both to "normal" for each HD channel and don't get an overstretched picture.

lowdown

The HL-Sxx87 has a forced ~5% overscan and cannot be defeated for more than one restart from the service menu. The Sxx88 was OK after overscan defeat.

I got an HL-T5687 LED DLP replacement for my noisy color wheel HL-S5687 and it came with minimal overscan. I've had no need to look in the service menu as most needed controls (e.g., gamma and position) are in the picture menu this year. And as the computed overscan is off I get 1:1 pixels.

Size readjustment of a DLP would require moving the projector--not for the faint of heart.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)