high frequency combiner used by DirecTV.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

El_Viejo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Indy no place, IN
DirecTV high frequency combiner

I am looking for information on the high frequency combiner that they use with some setups of the WB68 multiswitch. Is it just a splitter/combiner or is it more? Hopefully I have attached a diagram showing its use. But it doesn't tell me anything about it. Any help would be appreciated. Tnx. El_Viejo

Attachments

• DirecTV_6X8.jpg
    DirecTV_6X8.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 256
Its basically a 4x8 multiswitch with the option to add 2 "flex" ports on a Directv system

Originally it was used in areas where someone had a slimline dish (99/101/103/110/119) and needed either International (95W) or their locals were on 72.5...or if you were SD only with a Phase III (101/110/119) and needed the others (72 or 95)

They arent used very much anymore as 72.5 locals are gone (transitioned to 99 or 103). If you want to use it for FTA all it is is a 4x8 switch. You cant use the flexports as they are designed for Directv only. You'll get a lot more info in the FTA area as they are used commonly. The left 2 ports are 22K off, the middle 2 are 22K ON and the flex ports are just there for show

It is an obsolete "diplexer". DirecTV owns and operates the eleven highest frequency transponders (#22-32) on a satellite in the 119 slot, and they also used to use transponders 28, 30 and 32 in the 110 degree slot, an so, to squeeze them aall into one 500 MHz L-band swath, the developed a special, Sat C LNB that electronically shifted transponders 28, 30 and 32, down to intermediate, L-band frequencies that were commonly used for transponders 8, 10 and 12, and the Sat C combiner had a "high pass" filter on the Sat B port that filtered off the transponders lower than 22, thereby clearing that bandwidth for insertion of the frequency off-shifted Sat C transponder. As DirecTV no longer uses those Sat C transponders, you don't need to use that combiner and should remove it if it is convenient for you to do so

Last edited:
I think you all are over analyzing the picture. Its probably a stock pic

since the OP's signature has nothing Directv wise and all FTA I'll still stand by my post ;)
If you want to use it for FTA all it is is a 4x8 switch. You cant use the flexports as they are designed for Directv only. You'll get a lot more info in the FTA area as they are used commonly. The left 2 ports are 22K off, the middle 2 are 22K ON and the flex ports are just there for show

It is an obsolete "diplexer". DirecTV owns and operates the eleven highest frequency transponders (#22-32) on a satellite in the 119 slot, and they also used to use transponders 28, 30 and 32 in the 110 degree slot, an so, to squeeze them aall into one 500 MHz L-band swath, the developed a special, Sat C LNB that electronically shifted transponders 28, 30 and 32, down to intermediate, L-band frequencies that were commonly used for transponders 8, 10 and 12, and the Sat C combiner had a "high pass" filter on the Sat B port that filtered off the transponders lower than 22, thereby clearing that bandwidth for insertion of the frequency off-shifted Sat C transponder. As DirecTV no longer uses those Sat C transponders, you don't need to use that combiner and should remove it if it is convenient for you to do so

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when they decided to down convert those frequencies on 110 or just treat it as a separate satellite.

Hey, thanks guys for all your input. I am aware of what the wb68 can do. First, I don't want to use for DTV, I want to use it for FTA. I thought if I could acquire this high freq, combiner, I could use it to combine some of the FTA sats and use the wb68 to connect other receivers, I have several sats and thought it might be way to connect them to a distribution system of my owr, oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men....... El_Viejo

I need info on the high frequency combiner used by DirecTV for the sat C and sat B, I think it is since I am not familiar with DTV setup. I am interested to see if I could use it for multiple FTA sats. I have uploaded a diagram showing how they used it. Any help is appreciated. El_VIejo

Attachments

• DirecTV_6X8.jpg
    DirecTV_6X8.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 177
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)