High wind gusts and adjustments

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
I haven't said much lately in fact my dish doesn't travel much like it used to.

6 or 7 weeks ago we had some incredible wind gusts , we also had some mild days in January in the Midwest so I went on my porch roof and swapped out my universal lnb with a standard and slaved my DSR-905 to my CS 5K.

Winds caused movement of the dish and or motor on my mast so I decided to make adjustments on my STB and created new values for Satellite positions to compensate for the small increment of movement that I had , this was only temporary until I got back on the roof and I re-adjusted the dish and peaked the quality and thought I had everything ok.

I now conclude that I have some kind of slack that I haven't figured out yet , on any given windy day the dish moves just enough to lose all signal , I then move to extreme east on Hispasat and that seem to reset the dish and then I hit everything on my way back west.

I hate winter weather eventhough it seems that I have done more adjustments and setups on cold days , I am waiting anxiously for spring or at least a sunny high 50's day without the wind so I can see where the movement is.

Anyone have a similar experience with the all mighty mother nature.

Yes, Jay, I suspect we all do . A couple months ago, 50 mph gust managed to move my 90cm dish enough to lose all signals. By trial and error, I re-adjusted my USALS position to compensate for it. That lasted a couple weeks just fine. THEN another storm blew across Lake Michigan, and the big wind gusts were back. THESE new gusts put my dish back about its original position, so I went back and setup USALS for my real LAT and LONG, and it's been steady ever after.
Needless to say, the first nice day I'll be out there "tweaking" the aim, and tightening down again, as well as I can.

:)

Brent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)