Status
Please reply by conversation.

sgs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Hi everyone,

Tonight we have very high winds, and I'm wondering what the best position for my large 10 foot dishes is during high winds. Let's say the wind is coming from due south. Should I pull the actuator in completely, making the dish face be to the west? Or should I leave the dish facing due south?

Thanks
sgs

If the winds are that bad, you should consider turning the dish OUT of the wind. If they are coming from the South, then turning the dish West could be prudent.

If your dish is properly installed however, you needn't be too worried about winds below around 75mph or so.

Reactions: norman881
Yep, smallest possible area facing the wind. The actuator is strongest when retraced so moving it to the west would be prudent. My 10' steel mesh dish is on a 2 ton floating slab and has survived winds in excess of of 50 with gusts over 60. If sustained winds are above 60 or so i'd 'feather'* it. (*Airplane talk - face the edge of the stopped prop in the direction of travel)
The big radio telescopes have the option of facing the dish straight up, and do so, in severe wind conditions. That 'does it' for wind from any direction.
Whoo hooo 5k +1 posts. addicted.

I agree push it west.

Congrats on the 5K FaT!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)