Hisense DB2010 vs Zenith DTT900 (STB)

skitheberks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
CT
I upgraded an older Hisense STB model DB2010. I have had this for at least two years. It was purchased at WalMart on clearance for $49. It is the model that has a spot for the USDigital card.

I used the converter coupon for a new Zenith DTT900 box. This is a major improvement! Not only is the box smaller, I do not get any more freeze ups on the “weaker” channels. In fact the weaker channels are all in the good range on the Zenith.

I did notice that on the Hisense box, a local (Hartford, CT) Spanish station was listed as 18.1, 18.2 and 18.3. On the Zenith it is 46.1, 46.2 and 46.3.

The HiSense is a HD STB, so I am wondering why you are seeing the Zenith as an improvement. I recently picked up a RCA DTA800 at Walmart and it looks great on my old 19" analog TV. But doesn't compare to the HiSense on my digital TV. I originally got my HiSense at Walmart for $200 and it would have some issues (like the freeze-ups), but this January it broke. I found someone who repairs them but he was unable to so I bought a replacement model. It has the final firmware version for the HiSense, where my original HiSense had an older version (circa 2004). This replacement HiSense hands-down is better than my original, so upgrading the firmware may help with your HiSense issues, as I have not had a freeze/lock-up yet.

Are you connecting your HiSense with component, composite or S-video? Component at 1080i is the best video setup on these HiSense Set-Top-Boxes. Your Zenith is only capable of 480i.

On the TV where the STB is used, I can not tell the difference in picture quality. This is only a 20" CRT (flat screen) bedroom set. The noticeable improvement is the sensitivity as the Zenith keeps the signal and does not freeze up. I am sure the Hisense would deliver a better picture on a "better" set, but the main TV has the HDTV built in. I also appreciate the smaller Zenith box.

On the Hisense box, what ever became of the USDTV service? Does it exist in some markets?

I, too, have a Hisense I got off Ebay for about $25 a year ago. Now, that I've gotten the Zenith DTT900, I too am more pleased with the Zenith. The Zenith's tuner seems more sensitive--there are actually a few stations I can watch on the Zenith that get a near 0% signal strength on the Hisense. I also like the Zenith's smaller size. The ONLY thing I like on the Hisense better is the on-screen guide. Also, where would I get the Hisense's firmware upgraded? Would this help the Hisense's tuner sensitvity?

Also, where would I get the Hisense's firmware upgraded?

The site was down a few weeks ago but is working now.
Hisense - eLinux.org

There are two versions, one for those of us that bought ours at Walmart and those that actually had the US Digital service. Both allow it to be used solely as an over-the-air HD receiver. You'll need a USB drive (ie. pen-drive, USB stick, etc.) and it must be formatted to EXT3 (Linux file system). Using Windows to format the USB drive will not work. Copy the firmware to the drive and plug it into your HiSense receiver (there's a USB slot on the back of the unit). Unplug your HiSence from AC power and wait a few seconds before plugging it back in. Once power has been restored you should notice on your TV screen that it is updating the firmware. This should take about a minute or two to complete. Once it is done you need to remove AC power (for about 60 seconds) before plugging it back in and using the receiver.

The person who bought the majority of US Digital's supply (bankruptcy sale) also sells the firmware update for $30 on eBay. If you are not familiar with Linux this is probably the best route to go. He was the one I shipped my broken receiver to and who I purchased a replacement unit from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)