hispasat from montreal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
thank you Iceberg and jayelem for the very good pointers. if i dont get it with all your advice i'll retire from the hobby.
You can do it , no retirement talk allowed.

I'm also using a sat finder meter, but i only use it once i find the sat so i can fine tune it.

Not sure if I understand , you plan on using the meter after you find the sat for fine tuning .......

Your Quality meter from your TV is better for fine adjustments than the Analog Sat finder.

But your Analog Sat Finder is much more sensitive and better for finding the actual satellite ( My Opinion from experience of course ).

Connect Sat finder between LNB and receiver (WARNING : always power off receiver COMPLETELY when disconnecting or connecting coaxial from LNB) adjust knob on Sat meter until you hear tone , adjust sensitivity so that the needle isn't buried to the max and begin to search the sky while tuned to specific frequency , once tone increases continue lowering sensitivity and adjusting dish for tuning purposes , your TV will guide you the rest of the way once you get a decent quality reading.

By the way I really like using the sat meter and find it very handy , eventhough you can view the TV from a window How far is it from you dish ?
The reason I ask is that I tried several times looking at my TV 15 ft away thru the window pane and the daylight glare was awful , got better results when I used a tiny monitor exactly behind the dish .... I know that this can be difficult if you're on a pitched roof or tight space......

Keep us informed on your progress .......

I WONT GIVE UP !!!

today i aimed for SBS6 @ 74W and short after bang... satellite on target. i added the TP for ONN (11734 H 6616) and bang again S:95, Q:95. searched channel and i watched ONN while warming myself up. i was so happy... you guys know the feeling.
so, i set receiver for HISPASAT @ 30W. i headed outside knowing my gear is functional. i started searching for HISPA and not a sign. tried with the sat finder, no luck. went back to receiver, tried different tp, nothing.
i said, let me try AMAZONAS @ 61W since it has almost quite the same coordinates as SBS, but nothing either. i said going for PAS9 @ 58W. this one i didnt spend much time since i need an universal lnb, but even though nothing.
back to dissapointment.
now, i have in my head that i could probably pull it off with a motor. but, should i spend on it since most if not all the time is going to be stuck at 30W?
the other thing i found out is that my dish is no really 90 cm. i took its measure and it is 34" wide by 38" height. now, could this be the problem?

I WONT GIVE UP !!!
that's the spirit :)

today i aimed for SBS6 @ 74W and short after bang... satellite on target. i added the TP for ONN (11734 H 6616) and bang again S:95, Q:95. searched channel and i watched ONN while warming myself up. i was so happy... you guys know the feeling.
cool :)

so, i set receiver for HISPASAT @ 30W. i headed outside knowing my gear is functional. i started searching for HISPA and not a sign. tried with the sat finder, no luck. went back to receiver, tried different tp, nothing.
i said, let me try AMAZONAS @ 61W since it has almost quite the same coordinates as SBS, but nothing either. i said going for PAS9 @ 58W. this one i didnt spend much time since i need an universal lnb, but even though nothing.
back to dissapointment.
now, i have in my head that i could probably pull it off with a motor. but, should i spend on it since most if not all the time is going to be stuck at 30W?

58 wont work as you need a Universal LNB and 61 doesn't have anything on it for KU

When you locked ONN, did you by chance see the elevation on the dish to see if or how much its off from what it should be?
For Montreal, the elevation for 74W is 38 elevation (37.6 to be exact)

the other thing i found out is that my dish is no really 90 cm. i took its measure and it is 34" wide by 38" height. now, could this be the problem?
nope. most dishes are either egg shaped or oblong. Should be fine :)

I set receiver for HISPASAT @ 30W. i headed outside knowing my gear is functional. i started searching for HISPA and not a sign. tried with the sat finder, no luck. went back to receiver, tried different tp, nothing.

How does your LOS (Line of Site)look , when you point to Hispasat do you have neighboring houses or trees that might interfere with the signals ability to reach your dish.

Happy that you got SBS 6 @ 74.0 west , maybe you would like to try
Intelsat3R @ 43.0 west
Compass direction for Montreal is 127.7
Elevation is 24.0
LNB Skew is -38.1

Italian channels Italspazio Mux
Frequency 12050
Polarity H
SR 23700

Just to let you know in my case for the Chicago Area Hispasat is at 15.0 elevation and dish looks like it points towards the ground so keep in mind that your dish angle will look a little odd , other than that make sure to skew your LNB properly.

When you locked ONN, did you by chance see the elevation on the dish to see if or how much its off from what it should be?
For Montreal, the elevation for 74W is 38 elevation (37.6 to be exact)
yes, the elevation is off by 2.6 degrees. i got it locked up at 35.
lnb skew is at 0.

How does your LOS (Line of Site)look , when you point to Hispasat do you have neighboring houses or trees that might interfere with the signals ability to reach your dish.

LOS is not the greatest. there is the top of a roof at lets say 80 feet from the dish. this is when elevation is at its lowest.

next step:
i'll move the dish from current location to try to get a better LOS.

I pointed towards hispansat 30w today with a starchoice dish 60E quad lnb dish size 18x32 i free handed the signal i never thought i get a signal with this size dish so i never bother to install it on the mast meaning the leg, foot or ever its called, my quality when ups as far as 42% nothing higher than that, i did a quick scan with the help off a friend i think i got most channels, has anyone in here ever tried to lock on this signal with this size dish? am considering an 80cm 31" some how i think round would be better then oval any thoughts on this?

IF you are in front of the dish facing it, LNB skew needs to be CLOCKWISE

see my pics below how the LNB is... (I'm using a StarChoice dish but thats a moot point. See the LNB skew)
hay iceman not steal the thread but i've was trying some time ago with a c.s.
dish and lmbf with no success here on the rock ,nfld.what settings were you using bro? PLEASE BRO?:(

starchoice dish?

I used the sat B (what is normally used for 111.1) since it is aimed straight down the arm

settings would be SINGLE, 10750 22K ON

Either side works 0 khz and 22khz, ones the dish is pointed to the bird all four ports work, i tweaked my dish not to long agoo and the highes i got it to is 56, 57 not the greates quality but it will have to do for now ti'l i buy a 31 inch. my settings are as follow standar lnb/ starchoice lnbf, lnb freq 10750. I think i got about 30 channels plus radio stations if am not mistaken. if i where to get a 31" (80cm) how many more channels will get?

If you use the "Sat B" LNB you should get a better signal, as Iceberg points out, as it's at the center of the dish and not offset to the side.

The smaller the dish, the more important that will be. Every little bit helps. Keep in mind that if, by using the prime LNB, it added 3db to your signal, your signal would be twice as strong as it would have been otherwise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.